Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

greeny

Visit site
Would it even be possible to find a specific animal, and respond with sufficient speed?

What we really want is Dr Dolittle to find out what they hell they want/need from these incidents. If it's play, I am sure we could buy them off with a ball or two.
Probably have to use some bait that they like. Anyone want to volunteer their boat to a good cause?

RJJ

Visit site
Does anyone have any sense of the statistical risk we face with these attacks? I'm a bit lost whether it's three or four incidents out of ten thousand boats covering hundreds of thousands of sea miles in the area...or is it three or four incidents on the five or six yachts that have set sail, the others cowering in-port?

Reason I ask is we're planning to be there next summer, en route to Canaries for the ARC. Is the risk such that we should consider not going? Or maybe go via Azores instead? Or would that be too dramatic? Thoughts welcome, thanks.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Does anyone have any sense of the statistical risk we face with these attacks? I'm a bit lost whether it's three or four incidents out of ten thousand boats covering hundreds of thousands of sea miles in the area...or is it three or four incidents on the five or six yachts that have set sail, the others cowering in-port?

Reason I ask is we're planning to be there next summer, en route to Canaries for the ARC. Is the risk such that we should consider not going? Or maybe go via Azores instead? Or would that be too dramatic? Thoughts welcome, thanks.
Free AIS Ship Tracking of Marine Traffic - VesselFinder

it's a bit late in the season now but plenty of sailing traffic south of Lisbon.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

We are in Cascais at the moment. Two yachts we met here hin the last month have been attacked 60nm South of here off Sines. However, I can currently see at least 20 yachts between here and Cape St Vincent, so two attacks in a month is not a large percentage.

Sailing is not a risk free sport, but I don't think it (orca attack) is a huge risk, and to date there has been one slight injury and no sinkings out of 40+ of these 'attacks'. I wouldn't let it change your plans if I was you.

- W

Last edited:
Reactions: RJJ

Visit site
Free AIS Ship Tracking of Marine Traffic - VesselFinder

it's a bit late in the season now but plenty of sailing traffic south of Lisbon.
I certainly would not cancel now. You have plenty of time to learn a great deal more: is it only one pod responsible ? if so is it being tracked ? is it really an attack or are they playing and do they only go for a particular kind of yacht/ situation i.e. type of ruddder and was the engine running ?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
do they only go for a particular kind of yacht/ situation i.e. type of ruddder and was the engine running ?

CG is apparently advising engine off and sails down.

I am wondering if it is spade rudders they primarily go for, as these look like a fin.

The French boat however had a transom-hung rudder.

- W

dom

Visit site
Attacking Spade rudders and Spade anchors I understand.

Perhaps the Orcas are reading the PBO forum?

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site

Laser310

Visit site
Perfect timing.... I'm bringing a boat back from Cartagena soon.

I wonder whether the whales have learned to associate boats with falling numbers of tuna? If they're as emotionally intelligent as we think then, daft as it might sound, they might be cross with us.

They can probably figure out which boats are catching tuna.., and which boats are not

Have they been attacking fishing boats?

I have only read about sailing boats being attacked

chrishscorp

Visit site
Perfect timing.... I'm bringing a boat back from Cartagena soon.

I wonder whether the whales have learned to associate boats with falling numbers of tuna? If they're as emotionally intelligent as we think then, daft as it might sound, they might be cross with us.

Perhaps we can come up with some non lethal orca deterent suggestions for you. A loud speaker up against the boat hull with Justin Beiber on repeat ?