Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

chrishscorp

Visit site
Not put off sailing; crossed again the following season in my aluminium replacement boat!

That is good to hear you have not been put off, you say the keel stayed on secure and no water ingress, are you able to tell us what failed on the boat and presumably that was due to the whale ramming the boat and not you initially crashing into it or was it a bit of both. If you would rather not go there thats fine (y)

Dave100456

Visit site
That is good to hear you have not been put off, you say the keel stayed on secure and no water ingress, are you able to tell us what failed on the boat and presumably that was due to the whale ramming the boat and not you initially crashing into it or was it a bit of both. If you would rather not go there thats fine (y)
No, okay to answer your question but it'll be my last response as I'm offshore for 3 days starting tomorrow. The initial impact in a fwd direction I think caused no damage and the boat would have survived this okay. The side swipe below the waterline caused cracks in the grp at th return of the bilge which were not evident at first but developed over the next 15hrs. The keel attachment area could be seen moving in an elliptical manner with the swell and its 6+ ton lead mass below working the cracks. Water did begin to enter but not at a rate that the pumps couldn't cope with. Given the deteriorating state of the hull structure, the increasing water ingress rate at 25 hrs after the impact and being 500M from land, we decide to abandon. We were rescued by a diverted bulk carrier some 9 hrs later.

38mess

Visit site
Snorkeling in Egypt a few years ago we were alarmed to see a shark circling around, we swam back to the boat like Duncan goodhew. The guide tried to reassure us by saying that sharks are just curious and will only attack if threatened. I didn't take any chances. Two days later a German woman was killed in almost the exact same spot whilst swimming by a shark. Must have been a rogue shark was the only explanation we got.
They closed beach for two days.
The point I am trying to make is that these are wild creatures, the experts can't really predict how they will react in the wild.

Last edited:

Cheery

Visit site
The shark was presumed to be on that had been conditioned to being fed regularly. The diver had a bag on his waist with food in it and the shark bit the woman on the buttock whete the diver hung the bag on himself. I have been in that very spot numerous times myself. A little further north, several years later, I saw a Moray Eel in about 10 metres under a rock. I beat a retreat but the boat owner said I should have told him as you can tickle them under the chin 'like a pussy cat'. Rather him than me.

38mess

Visit site
The shark was presumed to be on that had been conditioned to being fed regularly. The diver had a bag on his waist with food in it and the shark bit the woman on the buttock whete the diver hung the bag on himself. I have been in that very spot numerous times myself. A little further north, several years later, I saw a Moray Eel in about 10 metres under a rock. I beat a retreat but the boat owner said I should have told him as you can tickle them under the chin 'like a pussy cat'. Rather him than me.
A tame shark ?

Nom de plume

Visit site
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested a causal link between these attacks and the undoubted loss of status.
Throughout history you are known as a 'Killer Whale' - you are expected to kill everything in your path, be mean, go GRRRR all day long. You get the leading part in all the movies, they build you stadiums all over the world where you are encouraged to drown the shrieking crowds with a flick of your tail. Kids around the world use huge inflatable imitations of you to scare each other witless.
And then some bright spark somewhere spoils it all.
You are no longer a killer, you are a cuddly 'Orca' (WTF??). You like to play, cuddle and even attempt communication. Movie moguls lose interest, royalties dry up. Time for action!
Nothing too serious to start, nudge a few boats, chew a few rudders, eat the odd female trainer, that sort of thing.
Forget the Orca wokeness, they obviously prefer the glamour of being 'Killer Whales' - give them what they want and for goodness sake don't mention hugs. Black and White lives matter too.

Poey50

Visit site
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested a causal link between these attacks and the undoubted loss of status.
Throughout history you are known as a 'Killer Whale' - you are expected to kill everything in your path, be mean, go GRRRR all day long. You get the leading part in all the movies, they build you stadiums all over the world where you are encouraged to drown the shrieking crowds with a flick of your tail. Kids around the world use huge inflatable imitations of you to scare each other witless.
And then some bright spark somewhere spoils it all.
You are no longer a killer, you are a cuddly 'Orca' (WTF??). You like to play, cuddle and even attempt communication. Movie moguls lose interest, royalties dry up. Time for action!
Nothing too serious to start, nudge a few boats, chew a few rudders, eat the odd female trainer, that sort of thing.
Forget the Orca wokeness, they obviously prefer the glamour of being 'Killer Whales' - give them what they want and for goodness sake don't mention hugs. Black and White lives matter too.

That's as good an explanation as any I've read on here.

Frogmogman

Visit site
You are no longer a killer, you are a cuddly 'Orca' (WTF??).

When one of my daughters was small, she delighted us by writing in a piece of homework that the Yorkshire was was the Blue Whale's only known predator other than man.

Well, in fairness, a Yorkie will go for almost anything.