Atlantic crossing Eastwards

alant

Visit site
Hi. Lotsa good advice above. No need to be over-apprehensive, really.

I've done this a few times now. I don't go via Bermuda unless Something Bad happens, and so far, no really Bad Luck. I also like the extra flexibility of have v distant target - Bermuda is 400nm out of the way - and into likely bigger winds.

Best seems to be start waiting in May and be gone mid-June. 32footer is fine, Mike (aka Quinn) has done at least seven circuits via LasPalmas, SXM and Azores in a 28footer, Bristol summink. I go in 50fot cat and target Horta in 14 days, the superyachts do it in around 10days, and a 32footer with at least some diesel should expect do it 4 weeks or less, perhaps a lot less.

Listen VHF Ch 14 net at 0730 local in/near sxm lagoon during April we'll have some get togethers for transat types. Current meetup is Barnacles on Wednesdays from 5pm.

Take loads of diesel, and then some.

Herb for some (not me - he tells you where to go and if you don't do as instructed he dumps you...so who's the skipper?) and you can get plenty enough info/gribfiles via satphone as per capnsensible.

Perhaps think about AIS B transceiver - then you'r a proper ship that broadcasts to big ship systems as such, as opposed to being possible floating pallet.

Erm, 20kts from NE is quite common in SXM - did you mis-type?

Agree, Herb for some & always worth listening to.

However, many of his dealings are with Superyachts etc, telling them (professionals?? :rolleyes:) almost when to sail -exact minute-& what to have for breakfast.

Best you keep an eye on the sky + barometer & work out your own salvation. At the speed most yachts below 45' are doing, how far are you going to be able to sail out of the path of & avoid bad weather anyway?

PS, don't assume Horta stopover will be calm & sunny.
Last time I was in there, we almost lost the boat whilst moored in the harbour & many pontoons were badly damaged by storms. Had to spend a week comforting ourselves in the Sports Bar ;) - such are the stresses of sailing.

tcm

Visit site
Yes re weather - and again the greater the range (water, fuel, food) the less necessary it is to stop at Bermuda or Horta. Madeira is a possible eastbound or i think that capnsensible has just carried on direct to european mainland.

And agreed Alant re forecasts - the need for weather forecasts whilst out on the ocean of course isn't the same as whilst coastal sailing - loads of crew are very keen to get a forecast as though they have the option to say Ooh I don't much fancy going sailing today! To which the answer is well tough, we're here now. I spose a forecast whilst well out at sea is simply to tell you if there's a freight train a-coming, and (usually) on that route at that time of year, there isn't.

Bad luck at being holed up in the Sports Bar. Sadly the menu has at last been properly translated, so no more Mixed Prick, teehee.

Last edited:

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Thanks for all the advice. It's good when forumites agree on the basics - and good that they have different preferences. I will only be listening to Herb so he can't drop me! I have SSB receiver and Wefax so will have some predictions of the weather. My radar reflector is exellent - many the time I've seen the big boats alter course when about 3 miles away - and I now have AIS so can call them by name.

TCM thanks for the info re NET in SXM.

My boat likes to reef main first and full headsail and my staysail rigged storm jib does not interfere with its performance so I can go to full reef and storm jib in seconds!

Bermuda will be a bolt hole if required. I would love to spend time in the Azores but deadlines (weather permitting) will be the dictate of that. But there's always next time!

Now I can relax and enjoy the rest of my time here

Thanks again

alant

Visit site
It would be a shame to miss out on the Azores; we ended up staying an extra month there we liked it so much.

Sports Bar greatly over-hyped IMO; plenty of other nicer places though!

You don't go to Peters Sports bar because its nice, you go cos of the great atmosphere, where transats & locals meet, have fun at resonable local prices.

Kilter

Visit site
You don't go to Peters Sports bar because its nice, you go cos of the great atmosphere, where transats & locals meet, have fun at resonable local prices.

That is why I went there and when it didn't happen it's why I left. I was not alone in finding this at the time. Hopefully you had a better experience.

tcm

Visit site
the experience at Peter's (that pub near marina in Horta, Faial, Azores) is very definitely in part dependent upon your own crowd, and some luck in service. On a sunny day and long light evening I met up with other musical/busking saily types and it was magical. Other times perhaps the food is slow, they're short of staff, things could be organised better so probably not what it should be. I saw that they've opened a branch in Vilamoura to sell cafe sport t-shirts so i'm using mine as rags, harumph.

capnsensible

Visit site
Glad its not just me that thinks Peter Sport is naff.

The marina bar is a brill place to sit about and wait for essential spare parts to arrive via Mid Atlantic Yacht Service place (top people). No matter how many weeks it takes!!!

Straight across the road from the reception place is a great cafe, met more yachties in there than Peter Pants bar.

Or on the street behind PPB is a cracking bar local fishermen use, footie on telly, cheap beer, fantastic fish obviously and the local lads will sell you a bit of their catch cheapo too.

And as for those people that paint stuff all over the marina, yeuch, so yesterday......

Kilter

Visit site
The marina bar is a brill place to sit about and wait for essential spare parts to arrive via Mid Atlantic Yacht Service place (top people). No matter how many weeks it takes!!!

Straight across the road from the reception place is a great cafe, met more yachties in there than Peter Pants bar.

Or on the street behind PPB is a cracking bar local fishermen use, footie on telly, cheap beer, fantastic fish obviously and the local lads will sell you a bit of their catch cheapo too..

yes to all those although we didn't have to wait for parts thank heavens!