Atlantic Coast France

Laser310

Visit site
I have emailed several marinas on the Atlantic coast of France, to ask about a spot for several months this summer - 12M sail boat.

So far, all responses tell me there is no room.

Any thoughts about somewhere there that might have a spot?

Bobc

Visit site
Try Arzal, La Roche Bernard, La Foret.

You might get a mid-river swinging mooring at the first 2.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
Demand is huge, most places have long waiting lists for permanent berths, and prices for monthly berths spike very high in July and August.
Do you need to be afloat all the time - we hauled out in Les Sables d'Olonne for July and Aug a couple of years ago - it was easy to arrange and a lot cheaper than staying afloat would have been had any berths been available, even with paying for the lift/launch

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
that looks like an RM...

But yes, a lot of cool boats in that area

You may well be right.
She's a new arrival, and it was pissing down yesterday so didn't linger to investigate further.
Previously I've had quite a few Pogo neighbours - new boats being commissioned prior to delivery.

TBH, I'm not really up to speed on newer boat brands/models.
People certainly seem to be enjoying them, but aesthetically they all look pretty much the same to me. 😊

Laser310

Visit site
People certainly seem to be enjoying them, but aesthetically they all look pretty much the same to me. 😊

I guess I'd say: form follows function.

The boat builders in those parts have really put a lot of thought into what actually works for a live-aboard cruising boat in the 35-45ft range. These are small-ish yards.., they don't build a lot of boats.., but those they do build go all over the planet. The French probably do this kind of sailing better than anyone.

But also, if you look at RM, JPK, and Pogo cruising boats, the resemblance to the AWB's that you might be lumping them with is not that deep. They have many features that reflect the long term experience of those who have owned previous models, that one doesn't see on AWB's.

The other thing I'd mention is that many of the supposed liabilities of these boats for cruising, turn out not really to be liabilities, or at least the benefits outweigh the negatives. Open transom: I've sailed many 1000's of miles in open transom boats in all kinds of conditions, and it's just not a worry. Wide cockpit: the risk of falling a cross is mitigated by the cockpit table, and the extra space is mostly a huge advantage.

My one complaint is that they have built so few of them that I have basically given up on finding a good used one, and will be trading up to something more conventional.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
But also, if you look at RM, JPK, and Pogo cruising boats, the resemblance to the AWB's that you might be lumping them with is not that deep. They have many features that reflect the long term experience of those who have owned previous models, that one doesn't see on AWB's.

My one complaint is that they have built so few of them that I have basically given up on finding a good used one, and will be trading up to something more conventional.

When I said 'they all look the same to me' - I meant RM, Pogo and JPK, not all AWB.

Visited the Pogo shipyard with the local YC a few years ago and I must say I quite liked the Pogo 36.
Seemed like a really nice boat.
However, even if I did have the money, I don't think I could justify to my other half spending 250K on a 36' boat.

Pogo, R< etc... regularly crop up on French brokerage websites.
Though, even 15 year old boats still seem to fetch premium prices.

https://www.annoncesbateau.com/bateaux/marque-pogo/