Assisted Passage to Mediterranean

Haz07

Visit site
Thanks for all the input & helpful advice. In the end I decided to go with Halcyon Yachts who got very good recommendations, provided the best quote and seem utterly professional.
Haz

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, I did the other way with a skipper and crew arranged through Max Walker. Did not do the whole trip as boat problems and time constraints meant the last bit from Spain by road.

Most important thing is to find a compatible skipper if you are going along - less important if it is just a delivery. Also be aware that costs are substantially more than you think - wear and tear, fuel, subsistence, berthing, air fares etc so you have to treat it as a something you want to do. If you just want to get your boat to the med then you can't beat road for ease and low(er) cost.

Haz07

Visit site
Many thanks for that advice. This is a trip that I definitely want to do for long distance planning and offshore sailing. I do agree with your comments about compatibility.....vitally important in a confined environment.

Visit site
I'm planning to take our 32 foot yacht to the Med in April and have been obtaining quotations for a skipper and 1 crew to accompany me.
Has anyone had any experiences of a company called Seaway or another called Max Walker?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Haz

Hi Haz. There seem to be some horror stories regarding delivery companies. I think it is very good that you intend to go along too.

I was quoted by one of the guys you mentioned but ended up using Halcyon Yachts. They were excellent and I got on with the Skipper really well.

LJS

curlysue

Visit site
We used a company called Professional Yacht Deliveries ( PYD ) for an assisted delivery trip from Hamble to Lagos, Portugal. They supplied two crew and there was my wife and myself. As previously mentioned you have to figure in other costs but its a great way to gain experience. If you want more details feel free to PM me.

haydude

Visit site
I'm planning to take our 32 foot yacht to the Med in April and have been obtaining quotations for a skipper and 1 crew to accompany me.
Has anyone had any experiences of a company called Seaway or another called Max Walker?
Haz

I suggest to post your passage advert on Crewseekers, I am doing the passage opposite way and I found several good yachtmasters willing to share costs for the fun and the experience.

alant

Visit site
Haz

What have you been quoted?
You can pm me if you want.

V1701

Visit site
Have a look at Find a Crew as well, I used it to hook up as crew for a trip across the Indian Ocean from Thailand to Maldives, we did 1500 miles in almost exactly 10 days. I paid my share of food, fuel and ports of call expenses...

Visit site
Assisted Passage

Hello Haz,
Please feel free to contact Direct Yacht Deliveries - info@direct-yachts.com. We are South Coast based and do a lot of this type of work. What we try to arrange is a meeting (and if possible a short sail) with our skipper prior to signing up to the delivery. That way we ensure a degree of compatability and understanding before any commitment is made. There really is little use in discussing the merits ... or otherwise ... of various companies, as it is your skipper alone who is important.

Hope to hear from you

Mat

Last edited:

Haz07

Visit site
Mat, many thanks for your input. I did get a quote from Direct Yacht Deliveries but in the end decided to go with Halcyon. Haz

ign

Visit site
I would be interested to hear what experiences people have had with crewseekers or findacrew?

I would find it somewhat a risk to put yourself and boat in the hands of someone whom you don't know or isn't commercially accredited.