Are Viking Anchors Any good?

Farmer Piles

Visit site
As we haven't had an anchor thread for at least a week I though it was time to begin another endless debate. A simple question as per the thread title: any experience? There will always be loads of opinions!!

doug748

Visit site
Good man.

No UK dealer as far as I can see so probably cost c £450 to buy a 20lb one, above my budget. Steve Goodwin rates them but they look flimsy (have been bent) and are designed to come apart, seldom an attractive feature in a main anchor.
Apart form the that they seem top performers.

geem

Visit site
Good man.

No UK dealer as far as I can see so probably cost c £450 to buy a 20lb one, above my budget. Steve Goodwin rates them but they look flimsy (have been bent) and are designed to come apart, seldom an attractive feature in a main anchor.
Apart form the that they seem top performers.
Flimsy? HT steel. Come apart? So does a Spade. Ever heard of one failing? Your mast is held up with little stainless steel pins. Ever heard of a pin shearing?
Love to see details of the one that got bent. It can be added to the list of every other anchor ever made that got bent

noelex

Visit site
I have not seen enough of these anchors underwater to make a meaningful judgement of their performance.

From a design point of view there are many things I like. The anchor is based on the Mantus M1 and has inherited many of the great qualities of this anchor such as the aggressive setting position created by the wide wings and roll bar.

Viking have made some changes from the Mantus. The use of hi tensile steel for not just the shank, but the fluke is a first for any anchor and has advantages. The increase in shank fluke angle from the standard 30° of the Mantus M1 to 34°for the Viking will in theory help the holding power in very soft substrates, but will reduce the performance in difficult substates. Whether this theoretical expectation is what occurs in practice remains to be seen, but the ability of the Mantus M1 to set and obtain adequate holding ability in difficult substrates such as weed and hard sand I find very beneficial and it will be a shame if this has been sacrificed.

Viking have also moved the shank attachment point further towards the crown of the fluke well away from the position seen in the Mantus M1, Rocna, Manson Supreme etc. This has the effect of decreasing the toe weight compared to Mantus M1, which once again has implications regarding the ability to initially penetrate substrates such weed, although the toe weight is still OK compared to other roll bar anchors.

Unfortunately, this change in the fluke/shank attachment point has resulted in a very long overhang of the fluke for the Viking causing it hit the bow on many boats. This is already an issue with the Mantus M1. There are many boats that simply cannot fit the Mantus M1 because of problems with insufficient clearance between the fluke and the bow of the boat when the anchor is stored on the bow roller. This is unfortunately the penalty for using a long, thin, high performance fluke design. By moving the fluke attachment point towards the crown of the fluke, Viking have further restricted the boats that can fit this anchor. Unfortunately, I believe because of this problem, Viking have been forced to recommend what I would consider ridiculously small anchor sizes. For example, for my 50 foot yacht Viking specify a 12.6 kg model. I believe they have been forced to do this because if they recommend a more reasonable sized anchor it would simply not fit most boats and therefore it would unduly limit sales.

The above is a theoretical analysis and I have only covered some of the major differences. It would be great to hear from people that have actually used this design in the real world.

Bilgediver

Visit site
We cannot really answer your question without further information regarding typical ground conditions where most of your anchoring is carried out. This anchor my be excellent in some conditions but worse than average in others with even the old CQR giving a better performance.
Another consideration is availability. A factory in Ukraine may be concentrating on other products at this time.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I believe they're @Neeves's favourite most admired. Or among them - next to Fortress.

I recently ordered one - they had a 15% off deal which ended 15 March.

They're currently distributing out of Brussels and seem to have plenty of stock.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
... A factory in Ukraine may be concentrating on other products at this time.

I spoke with the owner a few months ago. He described things as "challenging," but they are still working every day, puting people to work and getting out anchors. In spite of everything, Ukraine still has, and needs, a conventional economy.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I believe they're @Neeves's favourite most admired. Or among them - next to Fortress.

I recently ordered one - they had a 15% off deal which ended 15 March.

They're currently distributing out of Brussels and seem to have plenty of stock.
This arrived yesterday.

The box had been damaged in transit and the bolts are missing, so Viking will send replacements - I got a very quick response for this.

I don't know whether to be concerned about the finish, but I guess you all might be interested.

In one place in particular it looks like "the paint has run" - I guess this is a result of hot dip galvanising?

L4NLTHk.jpg

HS0qBCh.jpg

8Nn1OoS.jpg

mo54WBN.jpg

MmExqqO.jpg

When I was going to photograph this I noticed an imperfection and a chip flew off upon the instinctual application of my thumbnail.

I thought "I should have taken a photo before doing that" but no matter - I immediately found another spot where it flaked off. if I touched this then I did so only very lightly:

RKYgGaR.jpg

ovlc1vf.jpg

Elsewhere on the edges of the shank:

qn7Z36Y.jpg

0Jmk3ao.jpg

w7wHXBU.jpg

rSy4KFt.jpg

wingcommander

Visit site
My guess is the pre dipping cleaning process was not as thorough as it should have been . Is the bubbled area letting go also ( the bit that looks like paint run ). I do hope a replacement is offered or a refund. Best of luck either way.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
They're building these in a war zone (Ukraine). I'd be inclined to cut them a little slack. Given their attention to detail in other things, I'm guessing this is a temporary problem. By all means, let them know. Manufacturers need feedback.

Galvanizing does not work like paint, it works more like anodes. Though a little disappointing, small holidays seldom cause real trouble. If they did, every time we nicked the galv on a rock it would be devastating.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
My guess is the pre dipping cleaning process was not as thorough as it should have been . Is the bubbled area letting go also ( the bit that looks like paint run ).
As you all know, I have a very low level of expertise, but it feels more like a paint run to me - I'd expect a bubble to give if I pressed it with a fingernail and this does not. In fact I can barely scratch it with steel, so I guess that part is ok?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Lucky for us that we have customers that visited this forum, letting us know about your problem otherwise we wouldn't know you have one.
Is there a problem @Izi Kalvo?

I'm not an expert on any of this stuff, which is why I said in #8 "I don't know whether to be concerned about this". I post on this site just about every day and someone else started this thread about Viking anchors earlier in the week - when the delivery arrived and I noticed the blob in the middle of the anchor I posted because I thought people here would be interested. Actually, my initial thought was that the "paint run" (as someone else has described it) was a testament to how thickly it's galvanised - it doesn't need to look pretty for me.

It was only when others started replying mockingly that I actually got concerned about it, but when I went to bed last night I was disappointed that nobody had replied seriously about whether I should consider this acceptable.

If you tell me that it's ok then I'll take you at your word.

I'm now slightly worried about the chip in this pic and this pic - I can't tell whether there's another layer of galvanising below, but it looks like its a corrosion trap for salt water.

JRCO26

Visit site
Real world use. I used a Viking 10 on 26', 6,000lb yacht in 30 knot sustained, 50 knot gusst gale in a cove in NZ a couple years ago, that lasted 5 days. The Viking didn't budge an inch. That doesn't mean I am saying it is better than other new age anchors, which might have worked just as well anchored in the same sustained gale - I am just advising what happened to me. I would also say the 40 metres of all chain with a 3 metre nylon snubber obviously also helped. I have since sold the boat and the Viking along with it, and have heard back no issues with the anchor by the new owner.

noelex

Visit site
Real world use. I used a Viking 10 on 26', 6,000lb yacht
Thanks for the report. It is always valuable to hear how anchors are performing in the real world.

The Viking 10 is recomended for boats from 30-40 feet and displacements up to 27,000 lbs. I am pleased to see you very sensibly ignored the overly optimistic sizing tables published by the manufacturer (y).

One of the difficulties experienced with Viking anchors is that the designer has placed the shank fluke connection close to the head of the anchor, which gives the fluke a long overhang. I think this is part of the reason very small anchors are recommended. It is difficult on many boats to fit anchors of a sensible size.

Did you have any trouble fitting the 10 kg anchor on the bow of a 26 foot yacht?

JRCO26

Visit site
Thanks for the report. It is always valuable to hear how anchors are performing in the real world.

The Viking 10 is recomended for boats from 30-40 feet and displacements up to 27,000 lbs. I am pleased to see you very sensibly ignored the overly optimistic sizing tables published by the manufacturer (y).

One of the difficulties experienced with Viking anchors is that the designer has placed the shank fluke connection close to the head of the anchor, which gives the fluke a long overhang. I think this is part of the reason very small anchors are recommended. It is difficult on many boats to fit anchors of a sensible size.

Did you have any trouble fitting the 10 kg anchor on the bow of a 26 foot yacht?
Kia ora, noelex,

No, but that may be more to do with the way I attached my longish anchor roller, which was also welded to a V plate, and then of course well bolted down. See photo

Viking anchor set up.png