Aqua signal quick fix tri - colour failed.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Whilst sat on my mooring in the dark, I thought I would check my lights. Anchor light works but the masthead light has failed. Gutted as it wasnt cheap, and it's only been installed just over 12 months. Power is going through fine, so it's a problem on top of the mast :(.

pioneer

Visit site
Worth checking any other connections as well, at the panel for instance. Many years ago I found corrosion at the panel end that meant only a couple of strands were in contact, so got 12v at the foot of the mast which disappeared when load was applied.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Worth checking any other connections as well, at the panel for instance. Many years ago I found corrosion at the panel end that meant only a couple of strands were in contact, so got 12v at the foot of the mast which disappeared when load was applied.
Checked everything and now my anchor light works by turning on the masthead light, so the issue is at the top of the mast for sure :(
Annoying as it was so expensive, and now I wished I would have just bought a cheap one with bulbs.

BabaYaga

Visit site
The quikfit base has a connector block with four M3 screws for clamping the wire ends. Screws are magnetic = mild steel. Changing them out to brsss or stainless steel might solve your problem.

VicS

Visit site
Checked everything and now my anchor light works by turning on the masthead light, so the issue is at the top of the mast for sure :(
Annoying as it was so expensive, and now I wished I would have just bought a cheap one with bulbs.
There is something wrong somewhere if the anchor light and masthead light both come on together. They should be switched independently. You only want the masthead light on (together with side lights and stern light) when you are under power and you want the anchor light on alone when at anchor although if you are less than 12metres LOA you can use the all round white anchor light in lieu of the masthead and stern lights when under power.
However you initially said that the masthead light was not working. ????? That should have nothing to do with your new Tri-white

I assume your tricolour is working although in the title you imply that it is not ???

I am puzzled. Which does not work
The tricolour, the anchor light or the masthead light.

When checking for power a digital meter can make a complete fool of you ( I have the tee shirt) . digital voltmeters draw so little current that they can give a seemingly normal reading through a bad connection.
A test lamp ( old type car filament bulb on a couple of wires) can be a more reliable method of testing. ( Even better a bulb and the voltmeter connected in parallel )

Last edited:

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I mixed the wires up so now the anchor light works when I switch on the masthead, so the problem can only be on the mast. That was my point by swapping over to check.

the red & green part do not work when I put power to the wire for the masthead light.

The white anchor light works though.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
There is something wrong somewhere if the anchor light and masthead light both come on together. They should be switched independently. You only want the masthead light on (together with side lights and stern light) when you are under power and you want the anchor light on alone when at anchor although if you are less than 12metres LOA you can use the all round white anchor light in lieu of the masthead and stern lights when under power.
However you initially said that the masthead light was not working. ????? That should have nothing to do with your new Tri-white

I assume your tricolour is working although in the title you imply that it is not ???

I am puzzled. Which does not work
The tricolour, the anchor light or the masthead light.

When checking for power a digital meter can make a complete fool of you ( I have the tee shirt) . digital voltmeters draw so little current that they can give a seemingly normal reading through a bad connection.
A test lamp ( old type car filament bulb on a couple of wires) can be a more reliable method of testing. ( Even better a bulb and the voltmeter connected in parallel )
This is the one I have, I have 2 switches on my panel one says anchor and the other masthead. When I Press masthead it used to light up the red and green plus the white part, but no longer works.
After playing about, I switched them around so now the anchor light works by selecting masthead, this rules out the panel so conclude the issue is at the top of the mast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-115446_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-115446_Chrome.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 11

andsarkit

Visit site
This is the connection diagram from the instructions:
1691792052463.png

It is not very clear and took me a while to work out when I fitted mine. Note that they call it a masthead light.
H is (-) the negative connection.
Assuming you have a connection at the bottom of the mast the fault could either be there or in the terminal block under the light.
The negative feed is common to both lights so if the anchor light works the negative is good.
Check you have 12V at the bottom of the mast or is this what you did in #8.
If so then it looks like the fault is in the terminal block at the masthead.

BabaYaga

Visit site
From memory about 10mm, but there is a problem…
If you google
ybw.com quikfit set screws
You will hopefully find a post I wrote some years ago about how I solved it.

wingcommander

Visit site
You only want the masthead light on (together with side lights and stern light) when you are under power and you want the anchor light on alone when at

Possible confusion here.

Steaming light with side and stern under power. Not masthead tri .

Last edited:

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Possible confusion here.

Steaming light with side and stern under power. Not masthead tri .
I think maybe what's confused me is my switch panel has 2 buttons, one is masthead the other anchor. Pressing masthead is the tri colour and anchor is just the all round anchor light on the mast.

VicS

Visit site
I think maybe what's confused me is my switch panel has 2 buttons, one is masthead the other anchor. Pressing masthead is the tri colour and anchor is just the all round anchor light on the mast.
Does that mean you do not have a " mast head" light, as defined by the collision regs and popularly known as a "steaming" light and therefore have to use your anchor light in lieu of it and the stern light.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Vic please post your very good picture of the various sailing/power boat navigation light arrangements

This should be made a stickie

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
My boat is set up perfectl for all conditions, what is probably confusing for me is the stickers on the switch panel.:pressing running light I get the red and green at the bow and the stern light, pressing aux lights gives me the steaming light situated half way up the mast, pressing masthead lights the tri colour on top of the mast, pressing anchor is the all around white light on the top of the mast.

My mistake on the original post is calling my tri-colour a masthead light. I now understand my mistake not using the correct terminology, but that still doesnt help with the problem I have :(.

Last edited:

Pye_End

Visit site
Sounds as though you need to go up the mast and test the bracket for supply (or park next to a big wall). You could also test resistance on the terminals on the unit itself. Or you could bring it down the ground level and rig a ships supply across the terminals and see if they come on. One of the easier things about these units is that you can bring the important bit down to working area fairly easily.