Anyone sailed from Largs to Islay?

cozy

Visit site
Hi everyone. I am part of a group of 8 chartering a yacht for 3 days from Largs next week. None of us are particularly familiar with the area, although half of us are experienced sailors. I am wondering whether (weather and tides permitting) Largs to Islay round the bottom of Kintyre, followed by a return via the Crinan Canal is feasibly adventurous, as opposed to wildly over-ambitious. I haven't yet looked in detail at passage-planning but reckon on about 20-25hrs for the first leg (Largs-Islay). Anyone any views? The yacht is a 43 ft Elan.

If that's a non-starter, suggestions for pleasant places to visit more within reach would be very welcome. Thanks for your help.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
A tad ambitious for three days - you will be knackered when you get back to Largs. What about Sanda, Rathlin Island and Ballycastle - interesting and adventurous but much more do-able IMO

- W

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
I don't think you will manage this in 3 days. It's difficult to transit the Crinan Canal in less than 24 hrs for a start. I would suggest circumnavigating Bute and/or Arran, or if you want a longer sea passage, go to Northern Ireland.

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
We did Largs to Islay in well under 24 hours...just looking at my notes...

Set off from Largs around (or just before?) lunchtime. Anchored off Pladda for a couple of hours (an early supper) and to wait for good tides around the Mull of Kintyre; arrived in Port Ellen at 4am.

cliff

Visit site
Your route is "doable" but will be hard work. Largs to Sanda (beer time waiting for the tides round the Mull) and on round to Islay can be done in 16~18 hours comfortably IF you get your timing right (day 1). Up to Crinan and lock in by tea time (day2) Early start through the canal, quick lunch at Cairnbarn then on to ardrishaig and lock out by teatime then hell for leather back to Largs. (day3).

I cannot remember exactly the last lock in, lock out times for the crinian but IIRC it is quite early ~18:00 hrs

It is possible to do but as others have said Largs - Sanda - Rathlin etc and back may be a better bet if you only have 3 days.
---------------------
hammer.gif
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

starboard

Visit site
Your plan doeable but you will all be knackered..........why bother just stay in the Clyde and enjoy the fleshpots of Rothsay,Tighnabruach/Kames, Lochranza Arran and back to Largs.......The west coast and islands are great but you need time to sample their delights, the Clyde will be on your doorstep and just as beautifiul.

Paul.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Your plan doeable but you will all be knackered..........why bother just stay in the Clyde and enjoy the fleshpots of Rothsay,Tighnabruach/Kames, Lochranza Arran and back to Largs.......The west coast and islands are great but you need time to sample their delights, the Clyde will be on your doorstep and just as beautifiul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Starboard's words are wise. Unless you've done the F of Clyde to death already.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
I would advise against making that round passage as there are several factors over which you have little control;
<ul type="square"> the charter hand-over time
the tides round the Mull of Kintyre (you might be lucky if they tie in with the hand-over time)
the opening times to get into the Crinan Canal
the time taken to get through it (it can be be done in one day, but difficult - depends on other traffic)
closing time on the canal at Ardrishaig
the return hand-over at Largs[/list]
None of the above has made any allowance for adverse wind or weather conditions. You can certainly get up past Jura from Largs in a lot less than 24 hours, but, depending on when you picked up the boat, but you may have to sail without any stop to arrive at Crinan before the sea lock closes.

I believe that such a passage plan would allow no scope for a Plan B.

If you want longish passages, round the Mull to Rathlin, Islay or Gigha, and back the same way would be be more practical imho. Alternatively, one night at Sanda, one night up to the Tarbert area, and then a return passage through the Kyles of Bute would probably be more entertaining. That would allow plenty of opportunity for alternative plans if the weather is adverse.

Re going round the Mull, there's a recent thread here.

awol

Visit site
Not quite the answer to your question, mainly because I agree with the "doable but why?" answers - the Arran brewery has closed (aaaaaw!) and the stocks of Arran Blond in the Lochranza Hotel are diminishing. Get there by lunchtime on day 1 and that's that day sorted. Sanda for day 2 and home on day 3.

Then book a much longer charter!

cozy

Visit site
A big thank you to everyone who responded. We will take account of your sound advice, modify our plans to something more 'doable' and book a longer charter next year! Thank you to all of you again. Much appreciated.

starboard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not quite the answer to your question, mainly because I agree with the "doable but why?" answers - the Arran brewery has closed (aaaaaw!) and the stocks of Arran Blond in the Lochranza Hotel are diminishing. Get there by lunchtime on day 1 and that's that day sorted. Sanda for day 2 and home on day 3.

Then book a much longer charter!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lochranza hotel must be the most un-friendly establishmet in Scotland....!!!!! if you want a decent pint take a stroll west from Lochranza and 20 minutes will see you at the Catacol inn....a great place for good beer and fantastic sunset views from their beer garden!!!

Paul

awol

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The Lochranza hotel must be the most un-friendly establishmet in Scotland....!!!!! if you want a decent pint take a stroll west from Lochranza and 20 minutes will see you at the Catacol inn....a great place for good beer and fantastic sunset views from their beer garden!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you go at lunchtime 'cos the barmaid is nothing like the landlord!

cliff

Visit site
"Take a stroll"? just drop the hook in Catacol bay. A 20 min stroll on the way to the pub easily becomes a hour or more crawl back! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
---------------------
hammer.gif
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity