Anyone know of a good source for secondhand watermakers?

paul

Visit site
We're cruising the Med and are looking for a reasonably priced secondhand watermaker. Needs to run off 12v with an output a few gallons per hour. Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Visit site
Hi DB
First of all, they are superbly built, the service from Mactra uk is incredible. they do what they say on the box.. the membraine is industry standard SW35-40 I think (Aint got the spec in front of me) available anywhere - around 100 squids..

Email Jim at Mactra for a list of users who you can contact.

You wont find a unit of the same quality with as low a power consumption.
Hop on a cheap flight to La Coruna and you can take a look lol..

Serious, Give Jim a call.

Mactra UK - Schenker Watermakers

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I was also going to suggest Mactra - they are just down the road from me. I have never been a customer, but I know they also doing second-hand bluewater equipment (they have a Hydrovane at a good price at the moment /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

A

Anonymous

Paul, have you checked out the various DIY options? Try googling 'diy watermaker' - there have been some good threads here in the past. As you know, all you need is a couple of filters, a pump and a membrane in a housing, some hose, cocks, taps, pipes, etc. The big deal is the type of pump and whether you drive it ac or dc. dc is best for most folk especially if you have any solar or wind.

First of all decide how much you need. We make 25 or 50 litres per hour according to settings - those are actual figures not claimed - and we use 8-10A or 16-20A to obtain that. We run on low level for around four hours a day plus on full when we are running the genny. That gives us unlimited water - two showers a day, all our laundry, no mucking about when washing up,....

demonboy

www.youtube.com
[ QUOTE ]
We run on low level for around four hours a day plus on full when we are running the genny

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this out of necessity, or just because you can?

Visit site
The Shenker can be run on one pump or two.. no need to though really.
David (Lemain's) unit is the sort that HAS to be fitted by the supplier.. adding a lot to the cost.. otherwise great.

At 20 aH for 60 lph there are no worries

Water water everywhere.. Its a bit of a lifetime investment - so Not many secondhand ones - apart from the feeble low output models. So it really has to be a new one..
I LOOKED at building one.. not worth the hassle imho..
You couldnt MAKE a shcenker for the price.. not even close - around 3.5k gbp.. same price as the hydrovane new.. a good invesment me thinks.

AND, it SHOULD outlast us.. it really is so well made.. the spares supplied are totally comprehensive - along with the service manual. not a lot to go wrong with either - like the hydrovane.

Or, 2/thirds the price of a new sail suite from Jeckels..

GOOD value.

When you are moored up or anchored in distant places.. the prospect of ferrying jerry cans to a water supply are so depressing.. 100 gallon tanks - 450 ltrs... 20 five gallon jerry jugs.. or - 7.5 hours on the water maker..

no contest really.

But, I AM biased /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

Anonymous

We run it that way to supply the amount of water we like to use. We use between 100l to 150l per day, sometimes more, sometimes less, and the tanks are a buffer.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Lemain - am I correct in assuming you have children (hence large amount of water used)?

Also, any need to think about isolating the water from your normal water tanks or ok to just fill up your tanks from the water maker?

A

Anonymous

demonboy - Am I correct in assuming that you don't have a watermaker? Our water usage is pretty much normal for a liveaboard couple with a watermaker. Some use a lot more and have a more powerful watermaker. On the other hand, we have some cruising friends who have been cruising since 1976 and they use around 5l between them a day. They even wash and do laundry in sea water. Each to their own, but that is NOTacceptable to us.

Talking to people who are thinking of buying a watermaker, the most common 'mistake' (at least, in our view) they make is to go for a watermaker that only gives them the meagre amount they have become accustomed to using at anchor, so they never experience the freedom of water usage you have in a house. It is not difficult or expensive to produce enough to make water economy a thing of the past.

We have two tanks and fill the main tank direct from the watermaker, keeping the smaller tank in reserve. If the watermaker failed we'd have to empty the tank and wash it out but we are not presently crossing oceans so the consequences are almost zero. The issue would be getting the parts swiftly to repair the watermaker. Spectra were very good when we had a breakdown in 2006, at anchor in Ibiza, and we were making water again in less than four days so we just went on the sort of regime we had before we had a watermaker.

When you've experienced the joy of having unlimited fresh, soft, sweet, drinkable water on tap you would never wish to be without one.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Correct - we do not yet possess a water maker. A friend here has the 12v Schenker, which is why I'm asking a lot of questions. With 240w solar panels and a regulator on the alternator we have enough leccy to run the thing...hence my persistent questions! I will get SWMBO to read your post. Ta.