Anyone expecting marinas to open after Sundays announcement

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I rather expect Sunday's announcement to be vague and open to interpretation.

I doubt sailing, boats or marinas will be mentioned.

Indeed, as this thread demonstrates there is a gap between what people think the law requires and its actual requirements.

I expect we will see the two more closely aligned in government advice

Edit - I read that the CPS are reviewing all tickets issued under these regulations which gives an insight into what a mess this has become

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
Would be great to know the RYA are on the lobbying case again right now..
They had a webinar on the issue with clubs on Thursday. There's another this week. It's available on YouTube.

They also shared QMSC's coronavirus sailing risk assessment. I'm sure most marinas will be working on theirs at the moment too.

Even in the highly unlikely event that Boris says we can go sailing, the required mitigation by businesses will take time to out in place.

greeny

Visit site
So, go out and stay out and don't return for at least an hour?
Minimum, not maximum?
Apologies. Thanks to everyone who corrected my mistakes. It was a long day and lockdown is clearly taking its toll.
However, I think it is clear what I actually intended to say. It was also clear what the message from government was at that time and still is, maybe until tomorrow.

Mark-1

Visit site
I think the only fundamental problem for Marinas opening is the showers/heads. If they open showers/heads people will be mixing inside. Alternatively, if they leave the showers/heads close people will be pooing into the marina water via the boat heads.

Personally, I think this is mitigated by far fewer punters turning up.

So I reckon Marinas should be opening now and opening the showers/heads. If a gazzilion people turn up they might need a rethink.

Any local/harbour master 'discouragement' of sailing is gold plating the rules in the extreme .

I appreciate other people will take different view to me, and that's fair enough!

Reactions: RJJ

st599

Visit site
I think the only fundamental problem for Marinas opening is the showers/heads. If they open showers/heads people will be mixing inside. Alternatively, if they leave the showers/heads close people will be pooing into the marina water via the boat heads.

Personally, I think this is mitigated by far fewer punters turning up.

So I reckon Marinas should be opening now and opening the showers/heads. If a gazzilion people turn up they might need a rethink.

Any local/harbour master 'discouragement' of sailing is gold plating the rules in the extreme .

I appreciate other people will take different view to me, and that's fair enough!
The RYA risk assessment goes far beyond that with a phased return. There's an age split in it too.

One thing mentioned was the government view of optics. If certain sports are given priority, it will be very hard to prevent other groups starting up. So even though sailing may be low risk, it may be lumped in with higher risk events.

newtothis

Visit site

You're just not getting this are you? Any disagreement online during lockdown demands a multi-week thread challenging your opponent's ethics, sanity, parentage and choice of anchor. If a lifelong enmity and threat of pistols at dawn has not been elicited by the end of the first day the thread shall be reported to the admins and declared null and void. Seconds will be withdrawn and participants must retire to the yacht club bar, if and when it ever reopens.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
You're just not getting this are you? Any disagreement online during lockdown demands a multi-week thread challenging your opponent's ethics, sanity, parentage and choice of anchor. If a lifelong enmity and threat of pistols at dawn has not been elicited by the end of the first day the thread shall be reported to the admins and declared null and void. Seconds will be withdrawn and participants must retire to the yacht club bar, if and when it ever reopens.
Great fun for all, nothing better to do all, the DIY has been done the wife is getting on my nerves, and I cannot watch anymore Disney, so I come on here for a good old rant :D

Stemar

Visit site
That's where I'd be, given half a chance.

Some friends are spending their weekend on their boat in the marina, but it's a small, private one where the berth holders have a key, and enough of a current that I wouldn't be too worried about using the heads. It's also within walking distance, before anyone gets too upset. Am I jealous? Damned right!

CapPugwash

Visit site
That's where I'd be, given half a chance.

Some friends are spending their weekend on their boat in the marina, but it's a small, private one where the berth holders have a key, and enough of a current that I wouldn't be too worried about using the heads. It's also within walking distance, before anyone gets too upset. Am I jealous? Damned right!

They have free a free pump out service where I am stuck. The only thing stopping me moving aboard is the Government.

[3889]

Visit site
Apologies. Thanks to everyone who corrected my mistakes. It was a long day and lockdown is clearly taking its toll.
However, I think it is clear what I actually intended to say. It was also clear what the message from government was at that time and still is, maybe until tomorrow.
What Johnson, Gove or whoever says is not the law. As JumbleDuck has explained above, there is zero, nada, zilch limit on the duration or frequency of exercising in England.

Halo

Visit site
A friend of mine is in the building trade and cannot get contractors to start work despite his being willing to demonstrate adequate distancing. The companies would rather keep taking 80% of wages for doing nothing rather than starting work. I suspect a number of marinas ( or their directors) would rather take the Governments cash rather than grapple with liabilities associated with starting work. I think getting people back to work after 7+ weeks of staying in bed each morning will be hard !

prv

Visit site
I think getting people back to work after 7+ weeks of staying in bed each morning will be hard !

Without a commute or the need to lock up the office, I’ve been finding myself working slightly longer hours than usual. Albeit taking some longer lunch breaks too since there’s stuff to do around the house rather than just sitting in the office kitchen.

Pete

greeny

Visit site
What Johnson, Gove or whoever says is not the law. As JumbleDuck has explained above, there is zero, nada, zilch limit on the duration or frequency of exercising in England.
I think that has been rather eloquently said before . I have already been corrected thank you. I have apologised for my mis information although I was only repeating what the government representatives said in its briefings (with a couple of errors). What else do you F******G WANT??????????

awol

Visit site
I have this picture in my mind of old farts, verging on the obese, who haven't taken more exercise than raising a glass to their lips for years, arguing about how often they are allowed out to play. Of course, I may be wrong and they are all specimens in the peak of physical fitness. Anyone want to buy a bike?

xyachtdave

Visit site
To the answer the OP's question, no I wouldn't expect marinas to open.

Judging by the way the media have been drip fed info over the last few days to manage the public's expectations about 'the new normal', sadly I'm expecting very little in the way of change.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I expect we will be lumped in with caravans and holiday homes.

Golf and angling might come off better.

What group has the highest lobbying power ?

There is Big Pharma, Big Sugar, Big Agrig etc, but Big Sailing ? I don't think so.

Our only hope is that there are some sailors in the Cabinet. If only Ted was still about.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Exactly big Tichmarsh lobbied Government and oh looky look the Garden centre are to re open , so Titchy can be back on the TV.
more chance of this virus going to the garden centre, driving to McDonald's for my Drive through , heading to Tesco for Dinner . then home to infect he family,
Lets see all those people touching plants and door, the McDonald's staff coughing all over my food , and all the groceries being touched by others

Or Drive from my car , with my own trolly and head to my boat and get away from it all and you lot ;)
My car is full of petrol
I have food at the boat and in my house
I have a holding tank
I and only the family
I will wash my hands as soon as I get to the boat
I am not infected as isolated for 55 days now

Hands up if you think sailing is less infectious

Simplies really