Anyone expecting marinas to open after Sundays announcement

Laser310

Visit site
I live in the USA - I'm a British/US dual national - and it's been interesting to see the different responses, by both the governments, and the people.

In my state, marinas were allowed to resume work about a week ago. I was never forbidden to go to my boat (which is still ashore for the winter), but was asked to use common sense while at the boatyard. I went once, about two weeks ago, to check on things. I saw perhaps three other people.

I am hoping my boat can get launched next week.

My yacht club has been getting moorings ready - but on a slower schedule, as they have not yet hired the seasonal staff, they would ordinarily have.

The club has just begun running launch service to the moorings - but with limits on the number of people allowed onboard at once. The bar and restaurant are closed except for takeout - apparently they have been doing good business. I live far enough away from my club that I haven't done takeout.

I am hoping to be sailing next weekend. As of now, we are asked to sail only with members of the same household.., and I am pretty sure we will all be thrilled to get out on the water.

We have been having quite a cold spring here - snow is forecast this evening for large portions of new england - and it's expected to continue to be somewhat cool for the next week, so I don't think there will be much of a rush to get out on boats until it warms up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingGoose

Visit site
No chance of boating , I think that Boris will throttle back a bit after the other Nations slated his plans, but we might be allowed out twice a day, what a load of poop , how the heck were they policing the public on once a day,
Oh look we can now go around the block twice now whoopeee , it is a word play to try and satisfy the population who are getting really stressed about their Jobs their assets ,and there freedoms,
But I have heard that Garden centres are to open , why, because the stock is going to get ruined, and it is a a big economy, also it relates to the older generation , but they are the ones at the highest risk and we are sending them out to the garden centres ,o_O
So if a Garden centre ,Band Q , McDonald's, Factories, my local hardware store, etc can all do social distancing and everyone can be sensible , is it not time we are treated like adults wit hour boats.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
If you don't mind me asking - roughly where is that?

Mine is the the exact opposite in that they will be launching boats soon but not allowing owners to visit

greeny

Visit site
I'm not entirely sure of the rules in Scotland but in England we have never been stopped from going out more than once for exercise and there is no limitation on how far that might take you
"go out once a day for an hours exercise"
what bit of that did you not understand?
You may not have been "stopped" but it doesn't mean you weren't breaking the rules!

greeny

Visit site
There is and was no time limit on exercise.
Really, so why did Boris Johnson stand up and repeat that time after time in his briefings before he became ill, and later to be repeated by Gove and others afterwards. Time after time the words are "exercise once a day for a minimum time, an hour is appropriate for most people".
But I know you will twist the words to mean what you want them to mean. That's what too many people out there are doing right now.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
The marina where I keep my boat has never been closed to key holders .
However the government advice has deterred most people from visiting their boats .

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
Really, so why did Boris Johnson stand up and repeat that time after time in his briefings before he became ill, and later to be repeated by Gove and others afterwards. Time after time the words are "exercise once a day for a minimum time, an hour is appropriate for most people".
So, go out and stay out and don't return for at least an hour?
Minimum, not maximum?

Rappey

Visit site
but was asked to use common sense while at the boatyard

Brilliant !?

I think we all know what the current rules are by now and a little Leeway using common sense would be gratefully received, but I am not holding my breath for any time soon ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
"go out once a day for an hours exercise"
what bit of that did you not understand?
You may not have been "stopped" but it doesn't mean you weren't breaking the rules!
Only Wales has a once-a-day rule. Although Mr Johnson originally said that the same would apply in England, the law that was passed does not say so and if you check the official government advice at Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do you will see that there is no mention of any restriction on the number or length of exercise sessions.

It is clearly sensible not to go out too often or for too long if doing so would put you in close proximity to others, but if you are sensible you can go out to exercise as you wish.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
But I know you will twist the words to mean what you want them to mean. That's what too many people out there are doing right now.
You're contradicting yourself. I've never heard anyone say that when you go out it must be for a minimum time of an hour. So i go out for a 30 minute walk I'd be breaking the rules unless I stayed out for an hour! Hmm..............
There are no such rules. Even if you meant a maximum time. Wales was different to the rest of the UK. I believe there it was once a day only and for a max of 1 hour, but even that will shortly change.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Only Wales has a once-a-day rule. Although Mr Johnson originally said that the same would apply in England, the law that was passed does not say so and if you check the official government advice at Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do you will see that there is no mention of any restriction on the number or length of exercise sessions.

It is clearly sensible not to go out too often or for too long if doing so would put you in close proximity to others, but if you are sensible you can go out to exercise as you wish.

Rather bizarrely the government FAQs do not accurately reflect the actual regulations which the link is given in post #13.

The regulations were amended on 22 April but the often quoted restrictions on exercise were not added so clearly it wasn't the government's intention to make them part of the law.

As an aside when the restrictions were announced on that Monday it supporting regulations didn't come into force until Thursday afternoon but that didn't stop some from turning people away at railway stations or kicking over barbecues during that period.