Anyone created a 'portable / temporary' mounted Wind charger on their boat ?

Refueler

Visit site
Just as an aside to the solar panel question ... wondering about a temporary wind jobbie for just when boat is moored / on shore ....

Latvia tends to be a bit windy where I am ... and such could actually be a better proposition - particularly as winter hits us ... snow - low sun .. 4 - 5hrs real sunshine per day ...

Anyone done this ?

I would not be intending to have this mounted when boat is in use ... only when moored / stored.

I was looking at installing a wind system to supply my pontoons at home ... for my other boats ... so just extrapolating out ...

The 38 will never come up river - so she's destined for Port as home ... 3 bridges to negotiate to get to my home mooring.

B27

Visit site
I don't have one, but several boats here do.

There are some interesting wind generators around at more sensible prices lately, so maybe it's time to take a look.

I've only seen 'permanent' mounts, a post on the transom typically.

A vertical axis machine on deck would be easy, but of course there's more wind 10ft up than at deck level.
And of course, where/how do you store it when you go sailing?

Refueler

Visit site
Storage is not a problem .... as long as the mounting is quick release and pole can be in sections. At home - I have the summer mobile next to boats ... in port - I can leave with harbour guy.

KevinV

Visit site
A couple of quick release clamps on the pushpit (or a fixed tube that the pole can drop into, with a grub screw to keep it there), and a plug next to it - job done.

They're deeply unfashionable now because of the poor cost/ installation/ reward balance, but I'd still have one on board if I could find a decent one cheap or second hand - on a previous boat it was (just) enough to keep the autopilot in batteries because both usage and generation went up with more wind.

Refueler

Visit site
Unfashionable - yes that seems to be the situation now ... as more and more go for solar.

But wind can be better - as in winter here when we get snow etc. The sun very low for only a few hours per day ..

I cannot install a large domestic wind turbine system at my home - despite the amount of ground I have 3.5 acres and no problem to anyone else ... Town Rules forbid them. But I can cover half my land with solar !!

The wind of the river and being near coastal - means wind is a more viable option for winter ...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
All you really need is a pole to support the wind gen and a socket mounted on the boat that the wind gen pole will slide into.

The electrical can be an anderson plug easy to disconnect.

I did have a removable wind gen with an anderson plug my pole has a flange with 4 bolts to disconnect the pole and generator.

You could also consider a fixed wind generator on your home or remote mooring with a led to connect to either or both of your boats

dunedin

Visit site
Unfashionable - yes that seems to be the situation now ... as more and more go for solar.

But wind can be better - as in winter here when we get snow etc. The sun very low for only a few hours per day ..

I cannot install a large domestic wind turbine system at my home - despite the amount of ground I have 3.5 acres and no problem to anyone else ... Town Rules forbid them. But I can cover half my land with solar !!

The wind of the river and being near coastal - means wind is a more viable option for winter ...
For just keeping the batteries charged you might be surprised how effective a decent solar panel can be even in northern winter - certainly seems to work in Scotland (but clearly wouldn’t north of the Artic Circle!)

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
. . .
I cannot install a large domestic wind turbine system at my home - despite the amount of ground I have 3.5 acres and no problem to anyone else ... Town Rules forbid them. . . .

What exactly is forbidden by the Town Rules? You can now get wind generators which are not turbines.
e.g. Vortex Bladeless | Innovative Wind Power

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
For just keeping the batteries charged you might be surprised how effective a decent solar panel can be even in northern winter - certainly seems to work in Scotland (but clearly wouldn’t north of the Artic Circle!)

I believe Refueler's about the same latitude as Dundee, but may be mistaken.

If going down the wind generator route, the vertical axis type is less efficient, but would be much easier to store when not in use.
1696510624665.png1696510783167.png

Refueler

Visit site
I had a Dolphin vertical back in 90's .... here on back of my Snap 23 when I sold her :

3wrvl0Tl.jpg

Any good ? No ...

Neeves

Visit site
Our original pole was, roughly, 2" diameter and sleeved. The insert fitted neatly. We could remove the pole and wind gen simply leaving the pole stub. There was a water proof connection on the back of the wind gen, simply unscrew and pull apart. Our pole was also cranked so that you could swing the assembly outboard (or inboard)

Simple stuff.

Like you when sitting idle, particularly in winter or at night, wind gen can be a useful addition - but buy the biggest you can fit. Many wind gens are simply too small - and if you are going to the trouble of buying one it makes sense to make as many amps as possible to give you a decent return.

You will get many comments they are a waste of time -...... from people who do not have one, or one too small, or a noisy one....

2 days ago it was overcast but blew 40 knots....?

Jonathan

B27

Visit site
It would be interesting to know actual Ah yields day by day through the year.

My boat is moored on a river where the wind often funnels down the valley.
But even so, the wind speed say 10ft above the river is usually less than 10 knots or 5 m/s and most small generators are not giving a lot of power at those speeds.

I think my money might be better spent on a 30Ah LiFePO4 battery which weighs 3.6kg, so is easy to take home to charge.

OTOH, a windmill might persuade the seagulls to go elsewhere.

Refueler

Visit site
It would be interesting to know actual Ah yields day by day through the year.

My boat is moored on a river where the wind often funnels down the valley.
But even so, the wind speed say 10ft above the river is usually less than 10 knots or 5 m/s and most small generators are not giving a lot of power at those speeds.

I think my money might be better spent on a 30Ah LiFePO4 battery which weighs 3.6kg, so is easy to take home to charge.

OTOH, a windmill might persuade the seagulls to go elsewhere.
Starlings etc when Blackberries in season !!

Tranona

Visit site
This is the Rutland that came with my boat. The level of bracing required gives you an idea of the forces involved. Now removed and sold to Roger (concerto) to go on his Fulmar). It was a big heavy beast and not easy to remove - I had the riggers remove it except for the base bolted to the deck when they took the mast down for transport.

303654_1cd12aed64d5748b13582c4d5d15ca69.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
There is no doubt solar is a cheaper buy and the price equation has moved in favour of solar over the last 20 years.. But you only need 2 days of overcast skies and you cannot run the fridge as it, the fridge, will already have depleted your batteries by about 100 amps. If you have a 400 amp hour battery bank and are limiting depletion to 50% then you have 100 amps left to run the autopilot, instruments, nav lights (forget radar and the desalinator) water pumps. If you live aboard my guess is you might have a separate deep freeze. You have your fingers crossed that it will be sunny - and good sun - on day 3 or you are running a gen set or the engines.

Wind and hydro offers a back up and lithium, which is also a big investment (its not just the batteries - you need a whole different set of electronics to charge and monitor, offers some flexibility).

Hydro, which we had (but I hankered after a WattnSea) also has limitations but can be a huge source of power, 8amps at 8 knots for our trailed impeller, is only useful when you are sailing.

If you are doing the Atlantic and then staying in the Caribbean then solar is all you need but hydro would be a sensible back up for the crossings - if you are spending 2 weeks off in the UK and want to be off grid - then you are reliant on having a decent summer (or not taking time off at Easter).

I suspect cheap wind gens come on the 2nd hand market - but having used a small LVM Aqua4 Aero I do wish we had bought the bigger unit, the Aqua6Aero. I would advocate buying a unit with big bladed fan - and you seldom see them.

What ever you do - you need deep pockets.

I note the request for data - and I did consider it - but you need to shut off all the solar for say 3 or 4 days and then cut off the wind for 3 or 4 days, monitor what you are using the power for - it was too complex.

Jonathan