Anyone created a 'portable / temporary' mounted Wind charger on their boat ?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
For just keeping the batteries charged you might be surprised how effective a decent solar panel can be even in northern winter - certainly seems to work in Scotland (but clearly wouldn’t north of the Artic Circle!)
My yacht is a ketch and has two solar panels side-by-side under the mizzen consequently they ares UNshaded for about two hours a day. But that seems to be enough to keep the batteries charged.

QUESTION. Am i correct in my belief that modern solar panels have some diodes installed to avoid total loss of power output in the event of partial shading? :unsure:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I'm confused by the varying opinions regarding wind turbines. BUT I have noticed all the serious cruising yachts I've seen at marinas have a wind turbine (or two) installed.

Maybe this is unbiased as you can get?
Is a Wind Generator on a Sailboat Worth the Cost? - Sailing Sweet Ruca

Is a wind generator worth it?
"If the boat is moored in a windy location or sailed in heavy winds (upwind and reaching) then it makes much more sense. For the average fair-weather cruising sailor that enjoys sailing on lighter days and tucks into the most protected anchorages possible, wind power may not make as much sense"

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
TBH - I think a combo of the two is the answer .... solar and wind.

I am looking at the various kits available .... once I decide what I'm going to do - will update ...

As I say - I am considering two setups ... one on my home pontoons to look after my boats on the river ... and another as a temp mount on the 38 while moored / ashore ......
Each I reckon needs only 200 - 400w to be viable .... but the more I can get - the better. Some kits I look at - claim 2000w for only a small increase in turbine diameter ... so view with suspicion.
I am not really looking at the vertical type - having had one before - the Dolphin - it was not very good. I am sure they are much better today - but money is money !!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Nigel in you setup and at your latitude I agree a combination of wind and solar give the best of both worlds.

olar in the summer and wind in the winter.

Closer to the equator where sun is more consistent you can get away with only solar.

When I built my current boat I had both wind and solar and sometimes wind was useful in times of several overcast days but I have removed the wind generator and unsure if I will refit it

dunedin

Visit site
TBH - I think a combo of the two is the answer .... solar and wind.

I am looking at the various kits available .... once I decide what I'm going to do - will update ...

As I say - I am considering two setups ... one on my home pontoons to look after my boats on the river ... and another as a temp mount on the 38 while moored / ashore ......
Each I reckon needs only 200 - 400w to be viable .... but the more I can get - the better. Some kits I look at - claim 2000w for only a small increase in turbine diameter ... so view with suspicion.
I am not really looking at the vertical type - having had one before - the Dolphin - it was not very good. I am sure they are much better today - but money is money !!
What is the power demand that you envisage on “the 38 when moored / ashore”? I assume you don’t run the fridge or instruments etc when leaving the boat (let alone a freezer that some referred to, which is fine for liveaboard but not a boat not in use.)?
Are you thinking of running heating and/or dehumidifier from battery power (I suspect that would be ambitious, even including wind)? If not, is there any material power demand when moored or ashore?
Starting from the estimated demand can help determine generation capacity needed.
(As noted we find solar sufficient at 56N to keep batteries and bilge pump power, but need to connect shore power if using dehumidifier and tube heaters, on thermostatic switch.)

Refueler

Visit site
I have shore power when moored at both home and harbour ... so any heater etc will be covered as long as I agree with Yacht Harbour Manager - the electric / water is incl in monthly fee - but based on low consumption such as battery charging etc.
Home of course - is up to me !

My major idea is to provide battery charging in case of power out .... my house has had its underground power cables repaired last few days due to frequent power-outs .... I don't want to spend out on replacing batts if I can help it !!

B27

Visit site
I have shore power when moored at both home and harbour ... so any heater etc will be covered as long as I agree with Yacht Harbour Manager - the electric / water is incl in monthly fee - but based on low consumption such as battery charging etc.

My major idea is to provide battery charging in case of power out .... my house has had its underground power cables repaired last few days due to frequent power-outs .... I don't want to spend out on replacing batts if I can help it !!
I think a lot of win generators get used for things like remote sites, where an alternative power source is worth having if it means less site visits or saves just one or two outages a year when solar doesn't perform.
So even a fraction of an amp can be very valuable sometimes.

With my boat I am able to visit it at least once a fortnight, so I can do something if the batteries start getting low.
I like to run the engine up to temperature at least every month or so anyway.
Also my batteries are not big or hugely valuable and will want replacing one day anyway. Spending lots to extend their lives is not a great investment.

Spending money to get more functionality from the boat, e.g. running the heater more in autumn would have real value, but I'd be needing something like 10Ah per day to be worthwhile or significant?
I think you need a fair sized windmill to deliver 10Ah per day in a relatively sheltered location on say 50% of October and November days? That is the kind of number approach people would need to make sensible decisions IMHO.

dunedin

Visit site

Then I would have thought even 100W of Solar panel should be more than enough to keep batteries charged (provided not buried under snow) - certainly is for us at 56N. Perhaps mount panel on side rail aimed South, so snow slides off?
Each to their own, but for that application I would avoid cost and complexity of also fitting a wind generator. Cruising during the summer with long days the solar yield should be excellent with the right panels.

Refueler

Visit site
I understand the argument against wind and for solar ... I have that panel on the 38 now and a small trickle charge panel on my 25.

On the 25 - where to mount is a problem ... but she has less demand for wattage anyway. A small wind job on the home pontoon would do it for her.

The 38 though - I don;t want to add panels on deck or rails if I can avoid it. Deck - because she's going to be racing and that means feet scrabbling all over decks etc. Rails - she actuallyu has a large cockpit and we do 'entertain' ... so whatever we add - must be out of way ... or high enough to clear ...
The watts on her is a higher req't as she has the fridge etc.

Lets be honest - its all discussion at present as I intend additions some time from now ... giving me time to sketch out ideas etc. before making final plunge.

I appreciate all info / replies - even if I appear sometimes dismissive - that is not intended.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
When mounting solar panels at higher latitudes the angle of the solar need to be the same as the angle of latitude for maximum solar collection.

Not always possible on a boat but on a fixed land based panel very possible

.I have a 30 watt solar panel on my motor boat to beep the start battery trickle charged angled to the sun at midday. The 50 watt solar panel on my sailboat is flat and the boom angles away from the sum when moored to allow max exposure to the sun by reducing shading

Refueler

Visit site
When mounting solar panels at higher latitudes the angle of the solar need to be the same as the angle of latitude for maximum solar collection.

Not always possible on a boat but on a fixed land based panel very possible
[/QUOTE]

Just thinking about that one ....

Bear with me - its an interesting matter ...

My Latitude is 57+ .... lets say 57N ...... Mid Summer sun is at declination 23.5N .... so we have a Dlat of 23.5 deg which gives an MP of 90 - 23.5 = 67.5 deg ....
Mid Winter sun is at 23.5S declination ... now we have 80.5 deg Dlat ..... which gives an MP of 9.5 deg.

I cannot see anywhere to angle the panel at 57 deg.

.I have a 30 watt solar panel on my motor boat to beep the start battery trickle charged angled to the sun at midday. The 50 watt solar panel on my sailboat is flat and the boom angles away from the sum when moored to allow max exposure to the sun by reducing shading

I am sure the old 40W panel on the 38 can maintain the start battery 75 A/h) or the twin domestic of 150 A/hr ... to do all three - yes but it would be optimistic I think. Summer - I can assume it puts out 20 - 25W maybe more .... but winter - I think it will struggle to output anything of use.

Refueler

Visit site

dunedin

Visit site
The 38 though - I don;t want to add panels on deck or rails if I can avoid it. Deck - because she's going to be racing and that means feet scrabbling all over decks etc. Rails - she actuallyu has a large cockpit and we do 'entertain' ... so whatever we add - must be out of way ... or high enough to clear ...
The watts on her is a higher req't as she has the fridge etc.
One good option for Solar on the 38 could be hard panels attached to the rear side guardrails, which can be angled outwards to catch the sun - and downwards to stow out of the way when in and out of moorings. Many examples have been posted on here, and seems to be very effective as can vary the angle to get maximum power. Can also be used ashore.
For racing make them removable and leave on the dock?

Refueler

Visit site
One good option for Solar on the 38 could be hard panels attached to the rear side guardrails, which can be angled outwards to catch the sun - and downwards to stow out of the way when in and out of moorings. Many examples have been posted on here, and seems to be very effective as can vary the angle to get maximum power. Can also be used ashore.
For racing make them removable and leave on the dock?

Its all going into the pot ! Stir it up and see what comes out ...