Anyone been to Malta recently?

homer

Visit site
We are planning a short stopover in Malta in a few weeks time. Can anyone give advice on where one can park the boat these days? (Preferably near Sliema.)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
What I can tell you is my Favour place by the blue yacht has now gone thanks to everyone who upset captian Morgan . You can anchor just inside Kalkara or go on the wall by the scout , there is aso mooring buoys on the left side of Manoel Island and Tasbisce but there not free , or you maybe drop your anchor on the point near the malta yacht club and from time to time you can get on the south wall oppsit misda Marina , other then that it's petty bay by the free port which is only a bus ride away from sliema

Last edited:

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Anchored just off Balluta bay, St. Julians right now. Not many boats about. (Nr. 12 and nr. 13 bus, bus stops everywhere. It's less than 10 mins to Sliema).
Noticed when passing that there's new mooring buoys for the "wall" mooring in Sliema.
If you anchor by Kalkara the water taxi now operates from Kalkara marina to Valetta.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Anchored just off Balluta bay, St. Julians right now. Not many boats about. (Nr. 12 and nr. 13 bus, bus stops everywhere. It's less than 10 mins to Sliema).
Noticed when passing that there's new mooring buoys for the "wall" mooring in Sliema.
If you anchor by Kalkara the water taxi now operates from Kalkara marina to Valetta.
Hi Sam the mooring on the corner at sliema isn't the best place to be , in past years I seen yacht badly damage there , unless the weather is very settled it the last place I would want to go , if anyone didn decided to moor there I would suggest go between the mooring and not the mooring and the wall , or at less leave your self plenty of romm from the wall , even on the Calmers of days there a swell . john who's been there for years in the summer months will soon put you right , I still not sure how he does it with his boat rolling wildly at times but even him will get of the mooring if there any weather coming in .

Last edited:

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Hi Sam the mooring on the corner at sliema isn't the best place to be , in past years I seen yacht badly damage there , unless the weather is very settled it the last place I would want to go , if anyone didn decided to moor there I would suggest go between the mooring and not the mooring and the wall , or at less leave your self plenty of romm from the wall , even on the Calmers of days there a swell . john who's been there for years in the summer months will soon put you right , I still not sure how he does it with his boat rolling wildly at times but even him will get of the mooring if there any weather coming in .

Agree completely, if it's not calm don't go on the wall. Only place I've ever had to take a bread knife to the lines, that was exciting...:rolleyes:

Back to topic: it's ok in St. J, the usual gentle roll (it's close to my favourite gym so we're staying!). Best place IMHO (depending on wind direction) is Rinella, just to the side of Kalkara.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Not close to Sliema, though the bus services throughout Malta are cheap/regular/efficient; but far and away our favourite anchorage on Malta was at Burzebugga, tucked-in between the container port and the beach, good holding over sand and well protected from anything other than big southeasterlies; it always surprised us that it appeared almost ignored/overlooked in the Gospel according to St. Rodney.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not close to Sliema, though the bus services throughout Malta are cheap/regular/efficient; but far and away our favourite anchorage on Malta was at Burzebugga, tucked-in between the container port and the beach, good holding over sand and well protected from anything other than big southeasterlies; it always surprised us that it appeared almost ignored/overlooked in the Gospel according to St. Rodney.
I think the reason for that Bob is people wanted to be near Sliema and the book don't do it justice . burzebugga is one of the safes harbour in Malta , bus stop very close to the anchorge , one every 15 mins , fuel near the bus stations , super market , bakery's some nice bars and restaurants , you can even play bingo on the beach Summer night , if your into that . Lidi a bus ride away , three church's if you like to go to church and a street market once a weeks you also not far from the fishing village of Marsaxlokk and on a Sunday a big street market .
Although I think the port have taken over a bit more of the beach where the mooring buoys use to be , most of the buoys have now been moved over to where the polo pool was .

Last edited:

santelmo

Visit site
We spent some time in Pretty bay last summer. it was interesting to watch the huge container ships manouvering and loading and unloading at close quarters. There were some heavy duty laid moorings which we used but eventually the guy that owned them moved us on saying that he was bringing some fishing boats in for the winter, but he was nice about it. The nightly outdoor bingo started to get to us after a while.

lurob

Visit site
Agree completely, if it's not calm don't go on the wall. Only place I've ever had to take a bread knife to the lines, that was exciting...:rolleyes:

Back to topic: it's ok in St. J, the usual gentle roll (it's close to my favourite gym so we're staying!). Best place IMHO (depending on wind direction) is Rinella, just to the side of Kalkara.

+1 for Rinella. Good shelter, if a little isolated but do use a tripping line. There are all sorts of nasty wartime leftovers to foul your anchor.

Richard10002

Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the various marinas... Msida, Portomaso, Grand Harbour, each might have some vacant spaces, even if it's only berthholders who have gone away for a while. If you go to Portomaso, try to have as little as possible to do with the chandler/charter bunch there, (Boatcare IIRC), a bigger rip off merchant I have yet to meet.. and I met a few in Malta. Msida seems to be the marina of choice for boats passing through.

If it's not blowing a hooly from the East, I spent some pleasant nights anchored in the bay on the right out of Portomaso - might be St Julians?? plenty of nice restaurants, bus to Sliema is easy and cheap.

Last edited:

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the various marinas... Msida, Portomaso, Grand Harbour, each might have some vacant spaces, even if it's only berthholders who have gone away for a while. If you go to Portomaso, try to have as little as possible to do with the chandler/charter bunch there, (Boatcare IIRC), a bigger rip off merchant I have yet to meet.. and I met a few in Malta. Msida seems to be the marina of choice for boats passing through.

If it's not blowing a hooly from the East, I spent some pleasant nights anchored in the bay on the right out of Portomaso - might be St Julians?? plenty of nice restaurants, bus to Sliema is easy and cheap.

The marinas in Malta are great in August, until you enquire about the price!