Anyone any experience of Le Tonkinois

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Application etc does it need thinning for 1st coat. I want to use it for a high gloss on some garden furniture I am making which will be exposed to a lot of sunlight and heat in SE France.

gardener

Visit site
No need to thin its like water anyway but really good stuff. You do need lots of coats but you need to recoat before the last coat is dry. I usually go with 7 to 11 coats. Good luck ,have fun. If your after a high gloss you need to finish off with d2

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Gives good results for cack handed amateurs on top of poorly prepared surfaces. And can be easily touched up.
I.e. the perfect gloop for people like me.

If it is too thick - warm the can up a bit rather than using thinners.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Gives good results for cack handed amateurs on top of poorly prepared surfaces. And can be easily touched up.
I.e. the perfect gloop for people like me.

If it is too thick - warm the can up a bit rather than using thinners.
And me I hate painting and varnishing, I would spray it but as it's going to need lots of coats the wastage will be too high.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
No need to thin its like water anyway but really good stuff. You do need lots of coats but you need to recoat before the last coat is dry. I usually go with 7 to 11 coats. Good luck ,have fun. If your after a high gloss you need to finish off with d2
What's d2

mikegunn

Visit site
I have used Le Tonkenois with varying degrees of success and would therefore add the following caveats.
Firstly, because it is very slow drying (24 hrs min between coats) the coated surface needs to be in a completely dust/draught free atmosphere during that part of the process.
Secondly, it cannot be applied over surfaces that have been repaired or restored with West System epoxy. For some reason the varnish will never dry. When I found this peculiarity I read the instructions more thoroughly and found the cautionary note within.
Mike

Hoolie

Visit site
The higher grade lasure (10-12 year life) from your local bricolage will be pretty uv resistant and doesn't flake off. I think I have redone our garden furniture twice (two coats max each time) since the original application about 25 years ago. IMO the spirit based products are more satisfactory than water based. We overwinter the table and chairs indoors.
The only problem is that it takes several weeks in the sun to fully harden to its full durability.

Stemar

Visit site
Its biggest advantage is that if it gets damaged, it doesn't lift off like varnishes. Just rub it down and slap on a few more coats.

Definitely my goto if I want a high gloss finish, but you can also get a matting agent if you prefer less of a shine. I did the pine stairs with it in our last house. They needed redoing when we moved, but that was after several years of teenagers' wear and tear.