any tips for a must visit to the Ionian

yelbis

Visit site
I am off to the Ionian for two weeks this Sunday. I did south Ionian last year and doing whole this time. Any advice on must or miss visit/overnight places. Thanks.

Blue_Pearl

Visit site
Just arrived back from a week in the Ionian. We di the following;
Corfu to Kavos, (Lunch), onto Gaios (Paxi), overnight stay. Gaios to Levkas, overnight stay, Levkas to Skorpios, (lunch stop), through Meganissi channel and over to Fiskardo (overnight). Fiskardo to Kioni for Lunch and overnight. Kioni to Kalamos for Lunch then up to Tranquil Bay (Nidri) for overnight. Back up through the Levkas canal and up to Lakka for an overnight. Fianlly up to Corfu town for lunch and then into Gouvia for boat cleaning and overnight before flying home.
Had some great sailing and covered a fair distance. All the stop overs were picture postcard (apart from Levkas town quay!) Of course all this cruising was supplimented by the wit and repartee of skipper, owner and font of some knowledge Jobsagoodun

Nico

Visit site
The Dragoneras are good if you are feeling a bit adventurous. Only a very few anchorages and then only in good weather. I also like Astakos for it's slightly less cutesy character, and Kioni for its cutesy character. And the ruined village on Kalamos is worth a visit, as is Abelike bay on Meganisi.

Visit site
Kastos would get my vote - incredibly beautiful, unspoilt island. There is only one car on the island (the mayors car, but even that doesn't go anywhere!).
The Windmill Taveran at the top is a great place for G&T's while you admire the amazing view, and the Belos taverna on the harbour front has great food - best veal steak ever!

Gerry, the owner of the Belos is a very entertaining Greek Kiwi who spends 6 months of the year in his beautiful stone house on Kastos, and 6 months of the year in NZ.
He also owns the mini market - opened on the day I left last yr (Kastos has not had a shop since it was evacuated in 1973 after a typhoid outbreak).

It is advisable to get there before 15:30 as it is only a small harbour and can get busy with limited space along the quay. (Although you can anchor in the harbour and take a line ashore)

Wherever you go, have a fantastic time - I'll be out there myself in 2 weeks and can't wait!

jimi

Visit site
Hire a 4X4 jeep from Nidri or Levkas and drive over the mountains to the southern tip of Levkas, great day out and break from the boat!

chris505

Visit site
Kastos is a must, beware going in of the wind coming down the hills, then if in Corfu marina try the little cocktail /coffe bar just above it. Enjoy, we did

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
There have been one or two horror stories about the treatment of foreigners in yachts visiting Zakynthos.

As it's also gaining a reputation as a mecca for mad clubbers, on a par with Ayia Napa and Ibiza, perhaps it's best avoided, unless you're looking for mad clubbing, of course (cue joke about Canadian baby seals /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Visit site
I'd agree with you there. I went to Zakynthos a couple of years back. It was crowded and not particularly attractive.
I then made the mistake of going into Lagana (the islands clubbing resort) with the lead crew of the flot I was on. We lasted 15 minutes before hotfooting it back to the yacht (but not before we'd been sprayed with lemonade by some idiotic bar person). Now I was about 23 at the time and I still hated it.

Probably best avoided, imho. The only good bit was the cracking sail we had on the way across!