Any advice

SimonGaffan

Visit site
I've seen a special offer on a new dinghy called clamboat on www.thesimplesaver.com. I am looking for an easy to use and easy to sail starter boat for my children (8 and 9) but one which isn't going to be too much of an effort to store and drag the 25 miles to the coast. Is the clamboat a sensible option? I haven't come across a folding boat before. Is the offer any good - free outboard etc?

Advice for a novice would be very much appreciated please

(I used to sail dinghies off Brighton two decade ago but have no experience of current options)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Local sailing club

Usual option is a class dinghy at a local club which the kids can race when they're a little competent.

Where is your local dinghy club? Visit them, ask what they recommend for nippers (odds are it will be one or more of Optimist/Topper/Cadet/Mirror/420). Take a good look at club. Ask if they run kids training.

If you (and the minatures) like the look of it, join and buy a boat that they sail. Tip - look on the noticeboard, often members will be selling outgrown boats, wetsuits etc at very reasonable prices.

That way, you don't have to keep a boat at home, tow or car top it (at least not until they get to the open meetings stage), and they'll get safety cover when sailing and plenty of advice from other members with less rusty skills than yours! And they'll probably make loads of friends too.

G

Absolutely agree with this

Local Sailing Clubs are really happy to see youngsters join and join in the fun ..... I can only thoroughly recc'd its the best way.

You get good instruction, bit of competition, often the club will have a RYA or similar to issue Certificate etc.

Go for it .....

Visit site
It way seem cruel to oppose the introduction of a new class but there have been several examples in the past of people having to almost give away newish boats because they just didn't take off in class racing fleets at sailing clubs.

There is a reason why the Topper, the Optimist and the Mirror have been so popular - they work as first boats and can get along very well when you want a bit of excitement (yes even an Oppie can lift its skirts and get going!)

Obscure new classes are too much of a financial risk. As to folders, well I have resolved NEVER to set foot in one over water deep enough to cover my navel!

All three boats listed above are "car toppers" so where's your transport problem.

We have had a Topper suspended by straps from our garage cieling with the spars & trolley stoped on top. Never been a problem.*

Steve Cronin

* incidentally that Topper is currently for sale but I'm not supposed to tell you that here!

jimi

Visit site
For that sort of age, its got to be an Oppie. I'd also recommend an inland sailing lake initially if that were feasible.

Jim

S

Skyva_2

I saw a Clamboat at SBS and IMHO its not what your kids will want. Very little street cred. Not a good sailing craft, more a convenient folding tender. Topper, Mirror, Optimist are possibles. Do you want to get in it too - then a Mirror. All car toppable.

The other posts recommending a local sailing Club are right - but check out their training organisation.

Where are you located, others may be able to recommend clubs.

Keith

seaesta

Visit site
My advice is : When making a posting put the subject in the subject area so we know what the hell you are on about.

It is inconsiderate not to give us a clue before going into the message.

signed
Mr Angry and Victor Medrew

Kathryn

Visit site
There is no way you should consider the clam boat go for the tried and tested Optimist or Topper.
They are safer and excellent learning boats. BUT GET PROPER LESSONS FOR THEM,PLEASE

richardandtracy

Visit site
The place where I work has been asked to make a quote on building future examples these unusual boats. We haven't had a reply yet...

I had a good look at the sample we were given to inspect. If future production is anything like the sample I saw, then you will be buying a very high quality, robust, well fabricated boat. The mechanism for keeping it un-folded is very strong and as nearly idiot proof as it's possible to make. It won't come apart in the water - as you are using the trailer tow bar to keep it flat. I did a quick stress calculation to check the failure load of the towbar, and it won't fail before you sink the boat.

I can't comment on the sailing, as I saw it in a factory. I will say that it's unlikely to be startlingly fast as there will be a good bit of drag from the tow bar and the trailer wheel ports (the wheels jack up out of the water in their own trunks).

Overall it looked like a good and stable 4m dingy, though I thought it was a little shallow for sailing with a huge press of canvas - though the beam was relatively great. If trying to race, maybe a different boat would be better, but happy pottering with the kids should be OK (even fun, Fun, FUN!).

Regards,

Richard.

Gordonmc

Visit site
Option

I would never contradict advice to use local sailing clubs, but if there isn't one handy for you, consider a weekend away at a of the activity holiday centres.

Having been dragged to one in Cumbria (better not name the place) I was pleasantly suprised to find a range of dinghies on a (smallish) lake. They included Toppers, Comets and Optimists. A good chance to test each type.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: follows ken\'s advice

Your local club will be on the RYA web site
it will list all the clubs that run rya recognised courses in your area
check out the various web sites and your local club for boats.

Beer! Now there's a temporary solution.

SimonGaffan

Visit site
Thank you for all that helpful info - we live near Bewl Water in Kent and apparently they have a club - I'll pop in and see if there is a fleet of happy faces on the water.

As for the clamboat? I phoned them and they invited me down to try it - you can't be more fair than that, and I hope I'm a little more open minded than some about folding boats!!

The thing is to balance the practicality (for me) and the fun and accessibility (for the kids). We'll see.

Si

PS Apologies for not mentioning clamboat in the title Mr Meldrew - I won't make that mistake again.

S

Skyva_2

Re: Any advice - Clamboat at £7,000?

I have just seen the price, which is very relevant to your question.

Yes, £7,000 beer tokens for the sail away offer (inc outboard?)

Should your kids not go for sailing in a big way thats a fair sized investment. A decent Topper for less than £1,000 is a better bet with built in resale value.

Keith

Ohdrat

Visit site
BUT GET PROPER LESSONS FOR THEM,PLEASE
I didn't have "proper" lessons.. I'd been sailing with my father (in a 14 ft clinker built dinghy off Studland Bay) befor taking her (Widgen) out on a puddle (aka as a reservoir) solo.. I just learnt by my mistakes and found out what worked and what didn't.. my parents didn't allow me to solo until I could swim strongly in clothes and I always wore a bouyancy aid (no not a proper LJ!)

If you are capable of teaching the basics yourself why shell out for lessons for the kids?

newuser

Visit site
Take your own advice

Why not take your own advice and change the heading to show you are disgruntled.

For a new user, some guidance may be useful rather than a rather short, sharp, terse remark - perhaps that's how you run your boat. Doubtless you scare off other beginners! Some politeness maybe???? Not everyone is aware of the etiquette straight off.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Take your own advice

'fraid you have to let bygones be bygones.. the rest of the responses are ok aren't they? there is an awful lot of expertise and experience on this board (not always in the use of the board.. either technically or communication issues lol (that's a board abbreviation for lots of laughs

ChrisJ

Visit site
Take a look at http://www.bewl-valley-sc.org.uk
I believe their Optimist and Youth training takes place on a Saturday morning - but you can ring before hand and check.

They have an established training section, and a very accomplished racing section for the good helms in Oppies.

BUT be aware of how little sailing you will be able to do for the next 10 years if the kids get good!