Antifouling for the IJsselmeer

Modulation

Visit site
Well....... last year we moved the boat to Amsterdam Marina, and all was fine until we took her out for our summer cruise 8 months later. Under engine, couldn’t get more than 3.5 knots SOG. Suspected weed around the propeller so had her lifted out and found the propeller was fine but the hull, keel and rudder were caked in shell growth. We’ve used Seajet Emperor antifouling for years before and it always performed well, often lasting 3 years, but we were moored in salt water so I think it’s not so good for sweet water. Question is, what IS a good antifouling for Dutch inland waterways, preferably one that will last for more than one season. Any advice ....?? Many thanks.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Surprising findings. We kept our boat in Hellevoetsluis, also fresh water, for seven years. We only used conventional, cheap antifouling and never had any significant fouling. Photo shows me fitting my Bruntons prop at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, to which we sailed late July after the boat had been afloat throughout the winter. Fouling is minimal.

Previously we knew that a few days in the fresh water of Port Dinorwic would always remove seawater fouling.

Perhaps Amsterdam is suffering from invasive species?

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I'm also in A'dam Marina.

I hauled out in September 2016 and this year in May.

In September I was surprised to find my prop pretty caked with crustacean and the odd smattering on the hull - but we had crossed over from Suffolk earlier that year.

When I hauled out this May the bottom was still clean (not unsurprisingly after winter) but the prop had some fouling.
I suspect the prop is pretty fouled now as she was sluggish to respond when last used.

If you look at the concrete blocks by the Kraanspoor where the ducks sit you can see evidence of barnacle growth. So, a species of crustacean has adapted to the water in the canal.

BTW my antifoul is Jotun Seaqueen.

Where are you? I'm a Nic39 on L6.

Well....... last year we moved the boat to Amsterdam Marina, and all was fine until we took her out for our summer cruise 8 months later. Under engine, couldn’t get more than 3.5 knots SOG. Suspected weed around the propeller so had her lifted out and found the propeller was fine but the hull, keel and rudder were caked in shell growth. We’ve used Seajet Emperor antifouling for years before and it always performed well, often lasting 3 years, but we were moored in salt water so I think it’s not so good for sweet water. Question is, what IS a good antifouling for Dutch inland waterways, preferably one that will last for more than one season. Any advice ....?? Many thanks.

Modulation

Visit site
Thanks for these obs.
When I'm next across, I'll have a look at those concrete foundations by Kraanspoor - just to see if the shell growth is the same as I had on the hull.
I'm on D11 - old Beneteau 32s5.

johnalison

Visit site
I've always relied on my trip through Dutchland to clean my bottom and generally got home with a clean hull and prop. This year was less successful, which I attributed to using a standard A/F instead of Optima. I'm not aware that the IJsselmeer is any different to elsewhere in clogland and would expect ordinary products to work well enough. Hoping for more than one season is on the optimist side of bonkers.