Angela - Will the EA make any refunds??

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
If when you use the railways and buy a season ticket, or even a day ticket and your journey is severely affected and delayed then there is a level of recompense given back to you.

Don't see why this shouldn't apply to those who have paid their fees for using the river??

byron

RIP
Visit site
Yes of course they will make refunds. they will also compensate land owners for storing their waters, pay for all properties that have been flood damaged, repay all the hire boaters who have lost out and remove NB's from the river.

IN YOUR DREAMS

angelaquayle

Visit site
Actually, we are looking now at what to do for visitors who have been stuck and not had the benefit of their short term licences. Is the forum mostly annual customers?

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes, I would hope you are considering permanent license holders first /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Due to the weather i've only had 2 nights onboard this year, obviously the weather is out of the EA's control, but i have seriously considered leaving the river due to the lack of use of my boat and the increasing costs, lack of facilities etc..

ianc1200

Visit site
I'd be very annoyed if short term licence holders got something back and annual didn't; I've used SA one weekend so far (ie Henley Festival W/E) and was going to be away for 2.5 weeks holiday. I wasn't planning to use much after, as I've got a boat on the coast which hasn't had much use yet. The dinghy was (I think) about £65, and now that won't see any use at all! The cruiser about £350, and I suppose that is going to "sit" in Thames waters for 5 months, but it doesn't seem much value for £400 or so.

But as the EA seem to encourage NB's on the Thames without increasing the facilities, it won't be a suprise if we don't get something back and they do!

IanC

1yppah

Ok here we go......

Do you expect to get any harbour fees back if the weather is to rough on the coast? If its blowing old boots in Chichester I cant exactly knock on the harbour masters door and ask for a refund?

Agreed some facilities need improving but the EA really cannot do anything about rainfall we have just had.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
My licence (s until I sell the other boat) are currently the least good value things I have ever owned. I've been through a lock three times since Easter. Some form of refund would be excellent public relations. How about at least 25% off next year when paid promptly or by DD and abolition of licence for tenders identified with name of (licenced) mother vessel?

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, we are looking now at what to do for visitors who have been stuck and not had the benefit of their short term licences. Is the forum mostly annual customers?

[/ QUOTE ]

99% annuals plus some Envag chased off with the much hated and badly thought out boat safety scheme nonsense.
There's also a fair few riparian owners too.
BBC Oxford & BBC Berkshire check too but never post.
There's also many who just read but never contribute (lurkers)

Chris_d

Visit site
In answer to your question, I would not expect a refund, but neither would a visitor to the harbour.

No offence to Angela, but it just makes me seriously mad that they would consider refunding visiting narrow boats, and not loyal license holders who have paid up every year regardless.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In answer to your question, I would not expect a refund, but neither would a visitor to the harbour.

No offence to Angela, but it just makes me seriously mad that they would consider refunding visiting narrow boats, and not loyal license holders who have paid up every year regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]
In all fairness Chris. Envag are not responsible for the weather. If you are moored in a port and the weather stops you sailing the harbour authorities still charge you the extra time you stay in the port.
I too would object bitterly if visitors obtained any sort of refund although I feel they should be allowed free passage to complete their journey.

DWT

Visit site
Makes sense to allow visitors to finish their journeys if they have overstayed because of the floods, but I really don't think that refunds would be appropriate for any of us.

I am as frustrated as everyone else about the lack of use of my boat this year, but stuff happens. I think those whose homes or businesses have been devastated by the floods would feel just a little sour about us bleating about our river licences.

Elessar

Visit site
Well put Chris I totally agree.

BTW I was a licence holder but didn't buy one this year. I've just used visitor licences which have resticted my navigation a little but not enough to make me part with my money. It's gone up enough to make me think about it, when I thought about it I didn't buy.
So I'm a Marlow resident driven from the river by the fee.

However........
My garden was under 3ft of water in 2003. This year I'm OK (so far). So well done EA for that.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

However........
My garden was under 3ft of water in 2003. This year I'm OK (so far). So well done EA for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got your water here if yu want it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here we go......

Do you expect to get any harbour fees back if the weather is to rough on the coast? If its blowing old boots in Chichester I cant exactly knock on the harbour masters door and ask for a refund?

Agreed some facilities need improving but the EA really cannot do anything about rainfall we have just had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harbour fees are for being IN the harbour, so if the weather stops you going out you should expect to pay harbour fees. We should be asking for a refund from our marinas because my boat is stuck in Abingdon and I'm not using the marina facilities.
Any chance those odd toilets by the car park can be converted to showers?

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
If you are moored in a port and the weather stops you sailing the harbour authorities still charge you the extra time you stay in the port.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. but sailing on the sea is free, and yes harbour/mooring fees are payable wherever you are but on the Thames then a licence fee is payable. Forgive me but I don't know current fees as we came off the Thames in 2001.
The point I was trying to make is that regardless of the fact that because of situations beyond the control of EA it would seem reasonable that appropriate recompense is made for non-use of the facilities - just like the railway companies offer.
I spoke to one Lockie over the weekend and was told that there would be an amnesty in fees due for visitors who were stuck - something doesn't seem quite right for the permanent fraternity who are equally "stuck"

No Regrets

Visit site
As a boater who currently has two licenced Boats......

It's tough luck isn't it?

I'll bet this tragedy has cost the EA more than us lot put together...

We are all losers.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Re: nobody in particular and everyone in general

My posts invariably kill ant thread stone dead, but as I am feeling particularly liverish this evening, I would like to point out that the EA license or "Registration" as they prefer to call it (methinks to counter the subject of this thread) if for the purpose of notifying EA that the boat exists on their waters - I'm currently listening to Just a Minute on BBC7, and won't repeat that word - so your payment is not for the right to use the river or facilities.

Indeed there are very many boats which never move off their moorings and are used as weekend cottages or whatever (and I for one am very grateful for that...) and don't complain.

Bit boring that, is the thread closed now??

Even more boring is that any amnesty is for visitors and not just narrowboats. They happen to be in the majority of visitors (JaM having recently finished). You folks will have to get used to that fact.

Rant over, returning to a very nice Scotch....

Elessar

Visit site
Re: nobody in particular and everyone in general

Can't get you for repetition but can get you for deviation.....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only if the EA give refunds to visitors, in any form of vessel, of whatever shape, of whatever material and however arrogant the master may be or be perceived to be, will they open a can of worms.

And yes Byron BBC7 is fantastic and it widely available on the link . So is the BBC4 website where you can listen to shows from the week. The Now Show that is on there at the mo is a classic, especially the bit about religion - defy you not to gasp. (having said that I think both may be uncharacteristically wonky at the moment - blame the floods)

And now I'm buzzing myself for deviation!