And for my next project ... a Corribee Mk2

PhillM

Visit site
So time has marched on. My new partner's breast cancer appears to be being cured (although I am acutely aware that is what they said about my wife's condition about 2 months before it all went wrong). But hope springs eternal. You may recall that last year I bought and restored an XOD. When my partner was diagnosed - I wanted rid of the responsibility so I gave it to the Hamble fleet captain to do with what he saw fit. I am reliably informed that Amber has a new crew of three who are finishing what I started and will be appearing in races this season.

This time I wanted a grp boat (less work) and one I could lock-up-and-leave if necessary. Didn't want to spend silly money and it needed to be local. And the result is a rather sad MK2 Corribee. The first job is to replace the windows (crazed and leaking like mad), followed by standing rigging, electrics and then making the interior cozy and nice. Other than that, not much to do!

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I mush admit, I have a massive itch for a Corribee to the point I'm tempted in making an offer on the tatty one in our club to get back on the water for my two boy's for when their older, As the eldest is 5 it'll probably be just as tatty when they're old enough to go out on their own.

Good luck, post some pics.

PhillM

Visit site
Have fun!

Don't forget to spend more time videoing and editing than you do actually working - you'll make a fortune on Youtube ;)

I'll take some photos but I don't have a partner with the video-friendly physic (or bikini), or frankly the inclination to hang around a semi-drying (and classic-smelly mud) boatyard in Fareham. Now, move the Corribee to, say, the Canaries and I am sure I could rustle up someone to star in the next episode of "how to clean a greasy bilge".

fredrussell

Visit site
A Corribee has just appeared at my marina. What is it about Corribees? They just look so right. Even my non-boaty friends pick it out and say how pretty it is or some similar comment.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I know them well
Enjoy
There will be a year and serial number on the top ext corner of the transom and there were some mark 2s that were part mark 3S.. the aft lazarette hatch shape , the longer skeg iirc
All good ?

EDIT Someone was offering a junk rigged one ridiculously cheaply ( “ surprisingly affordably ??”) recently on the Corribee owners site , obv a complete project but with the proper porthole windows . Greenwich or Kent

Last edited:

Alan S

Visit site
By the way, don't over-tension the standing rigging - that crossbeam will feel the pain. Ask me how I know : (
Don't worry if the leeward shrouds go a bit slack when beating hard to windward.
Enjoy.

ronsurf

Visit site
I have a Corribee and have never felt the need to replace it. They are surprisingly tough and capable boats, cheap to own and easy to squeeze into the busiest of places.

Check the tiller arrangement won't allow the rudder to drop into the depths if the head breaks. This was common on these boats, but if it's lasted this long, it's probably been modified. Always best to check though.

There is a Corribee Facebook group that is pretty active and friendly.

PhillM

Visit site
Time for an update me thinks ...

Job 1: Cleaning .. so far I have removed about 12 bags of rubbish and soiled cleaning rags (soiled by my use to clean up Swift).

Job 2: I managed to identify the manual bilge pump as a Champ Mk1. After buying a service kit (£75 for a few bits of neoprene) and a couple of new parts (£30), and an afternoon of working out how it should all go together, this is now working. While a new pump might have been cheaper, repairing the hole would have been a pita. So fixing what was there was the best option. I did a little test and I could empty a full bucket of seawater in six strokes of the pump. I was pretty impressed with its ability to shift water.

Job 3: Remove all bodged electrics. Mostly done. Although some of the old electronics are still in place (not working) but I will wait until I decide what I want to replace them with before removing what is there.

Job 4: Secure the outboard tank. Mostly just emptying the rubbish from the stern locker and rearranging. Although, I am not totally convinced about refilling the tank from a smaller 5L petral can while the main tank stays in the locker. Currently, it is a 25L tank that is both heavy and hard to put in the locker. I might think about changing it to two 10L tanks that I can easily remove for refilling. This might have to wait until winter and I may have to live with what I have for now ... just be extremely careful about clearing up any spills and leaving the aft locker open to vent any fumes.

Job 5: Removing rotten anchor chocks and filling the holes. Done. I am beginning to like Fibrol as much as I loved Epoxy for Paean. Although, I need to learn a bit about gel coat so I can finish the job properly.

Job 6: Standing rigging. The riggers will be sorting this over the next couple of weeks so today I removed the sails and took the boom off.

Job 7: Galley - tbh I am not going to do much about this right now, so have put my Trangia set on board but will only use it at anchor or in maranis as it is not fixed or gimballed. I will have a think about what I want to do about cooking on longer passages, over the winter. I do miss my Origio!

Next on my to do list include electrics (inc nav lights and Tiller pilot) and perhaps a little solar. I do have a CTEK charger so can top up from shore power as and when I am walk-ashore. Then on to basic safety (lifering, danbouy, fire extenguisher & blanket, flares?) and jack stays, etc. I also need to think about ground tackle. I have an old Bruce but need chain/warp. Or if budget allows I might splash out for a new gen anchor. Oh and I need to buy and fit a new compass. and a fixed VHF although again these may wait as I have a perfectly good hand held radio and compass, which might well suffice for this season.

That's about it for now. I'll take some pics where there is something to show for my hard work!

PhillM

Visit site
I have a Corribee and have never felt the need to replace it. They are surprisingly tough and capable boats, cheap to own and easy to squeeze into the busiest of places.

Check the tiller arrangement won't allow the rudder to drop into the depths if the head breaks. This was common on these boats, but if it's lasted this long, it's probably been modified. Always best to check though.

There is a Corribee Facebook group that is pretty active and friendly.
How, what’s the modification I need to check for?

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Some rudders have a lower pin which rests in a fitting on the skeg, so can't drop out easily. Others rely solely on the set screw through the tiller fitting and into the rudder shaft to prevent disaster, and prudent owners have added further screws, just in case one works it's way out.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Mention of the mast beam reminded me that I've upgraded the chain plates: as fitted they're not well-angled, are a bit light for the job, and the backing plates (or lack of) are also a weak point.

northwind

Visit site
Is your outboard tank vented outside of the locker, or is it a standard outboard tank with a vent screw?
Personally if the latter I would suggest you rethink especially if you are planning on cooking on board. Take a look at the BSS guides for petrol on board as a start, while you don't have to comply with them, venting a tank inside a locker is not a good idea

PhillM

Visit site
Is your outboard tank vented outside of the locker, or is it a standard outboard tank with a vent screw?
Personally if the latter I would suggest you rethink especially if you are planning on cooking on board. Take a look at the BSS guides for petrol on board as a start, while you don't have to comply with them, venting a tank inside a locker is not a good idea
Thank you. I’ll take a look. Atm it’s a tank with a vent in the cap. Sounds like more research is needed. Thank you. I always value the advice here.

PhillM

Visit site
Some rudders have a lower pin which rests in a fitting on the skeg, so can't drop out easily. Others rely solely on the set screw through the tiller fitting and into the rudder shaft to prevent disaster, and prudent owners have added further screws, just in case one works it's way out.
Thank you, I will check this at the tiller end over the weekend and below water when I scrub.

PhillM

Visit site
Mention of the mast beam reminded me that I've upgraded the chainplates: as fitted they're not well-angled, are a bit light for the job, and the backing plates (or lack of) are also a weak point.

It looks like a previous owner has changed the chainplates in the past . Although, I think one or two could do with a closer look. Something for the winter as they seem OK for now. It also looks like the mast beam has been reinforced with an additional steel plate on either side and through-bolted, Not sure if this was because of a problem or to prevent one. Noted re the rig tension.