Am I being unreasonable to expect halyards to not be clanking away in the marina?

Visit site
I flip my halyards over the spreader end, and tighten it, to stop the slapping. I eliminated my topping lift decades ago, and stow my boom in a boom gallows. Haven't seen the need for one. Lazy jacks also hold the boom up somewhat.

jonrarit

Visit site
My problem is the topping lift. If you have a steady breeze it starts to vibrate at a frequency that has the whole boat humming. It is very weird!

Our solution to the topping lift hum is instead if shackling the topping lift directly onto the boom-end, instead shackle onto a small closed loop of rope already lopped through the boom end.

worked for us, hope it does for others

jonathan

NOHOH

Visit site
A loud fart is a TRUMP........which is the word for a fart used generally in the the North of england........Its almost poetic.

...and of course I should have added that most people think the US president is a Trump

elenya

Visit site
I hear that good friends will step in and help a fellow yachtsman whose halyards are thrashing and may damage themselves or the anodising on the mast. Neatly coil and leave the halyard in the cockpit or if this is not possible hoist the end to the masthead. This will prevent further damage to the persons vessel.

scruff

Visit site
I hear that good friends will step in and help a fellow yachtsman whose halyards are thrashing and may damage themselves or the anodising on the mast. Neatly coil and leave the halyard in the cockpit or if this is not possible hoist the end to the masthead. This will prevent further damage to the persons vessel.

I would hope that those found removing halyards from masts, never came to find a kilo or two of sugar added to their own boats diesel tanks...

greeny

Visit site

If i caught anyone on my boat doing that, there would be more than halyards removed. Sometimes people just plain forget, or the wind shifts causing the problems. Try being a bit more tolerant. I know its annoying but so are lots of things in life.

RupertW

Visit site
Sorry but if you are careless enough to leave your halyards probe to clanging near me then I will be helpful enough to frap them properly - usually with the tail of a nearby halyard. I wouldn’t see that as aggressive as much as helping you be a more caring neighbour.

Cin70

Visit site
If i caught anyone on my boat doing that, there would be more than halyards removed. Sometimes people just plain forget, or the wind shifts causing the problems. Try being a bit more tolerant. I know its annoying but so are lots of things in life.

. . . it isn't so much being intolerant as needing to sleep, at night. Clearly you don't sleep on your boat nightly. A little rope to tie it away from the mast is fine and helpful. I would be mortified were my halyard clanking away when people are trying to sleep. Clearly ianbu.

maby

Visit site
It's something that we should all seek to avoid but, as others have said above, I tend to find it relaxing rather than annoying. My wife and I are aboard several nights per week and both find that we sleep best in a storm - the combination of noise and motion is relaxing.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We have been in the marina for a few days while the meltemi has been blowing 20 - 25 knots. A boat near us has had its halyards clanking for several days and yesterday I decided that enough was enough and I was going to tie them away from the mast. To my amazement when I got there the owners were sitting in the cockpit!

greeny

Visit site
. . . it isn't so much being intolerant as needing to sleep, at night. Clearly you don't sleep on your boat nightly. A little rope to tie it away from the mast is fine and helpful. I would be mortified were my halyard clanking away when people are trying to sleep. Clearly ianbu.

Maybe you mis- understand me. I do sleep onboard regularly and sometimes for weeks at a time. I do not habitually leave halyards clanging or any other annoying things on my boat to the best of my knowledge. Any of my neighbours will attest to that I'm sure. If i do leave something accidentally then i apologise and would not mind anyone tying them back for me. However if i catch you on my boat taking damaging or destructive action i will approach and treat you as i would any intruder intent on damaging my property.
If a clanging halyard reduces you to take malicious actions peviously stated by others on this thread then you need to seriously look at your own behaviour.