Am I being unreasonable to expect halyards to not be clanking away in the marina?

Cin70

Visit site
Maybe you mis- understand me. I do sleep onboard regularly and sometimes for weeks at a time. I do not habitually leave halyards clanging or any other annoying things on my boat to the best of my knowledge. Any of my neighbours will attest to that I'm sure. If i do leave something accidentally then i apologise and would not mind anyone tying them back for me. However if i catch you on my boat taking damaging or destructive action i will approach and treat you as i would any intruder intent on damaging my property.
If a clanging halyard reduces you to take malicious actions peviously stated by others on this thread then you need to seriously look at your own behaviour.
Yes, I,m afraid I don't understand why anybody would be malicious, it's easily remedied in a polite way . . ..

maby

Visit site
We have been in the marina for a few days while the meltemi has been blowing 20 - 25 knots. A boat near us has had its halyards clanking for several days and yesterday I decided that enough was enough and I was going to tie them away from the mast. To my amazement when I got there the owners were sitting in the cockpit!

I think that some people simply don't notice it - myself included.

viago

Visit site
One would hope not. After all adding sugar to someone diesel tank would be criminal damage.

one person's criminal damage is another person's karma. take a chill pill.

i have some clanging from inside the mast that i seem unable to cure. it doesn't bother me too much when sleeping aboard but i can understand how it might annoy the choleric among us.
if it's the areal wire i'm reluctant to pull it taut.
any thoughts?

Last edited:

viago

Visit site
Yes, I,m afraid I don't understand why anybody would be malicious, it's easily remedied in a polite way . . ..

i'd have thought that malice was something that came naturally to anyone involved with the law. i heard that in hell it is the lawyers who are sat closest to the fire. of course that may be apocryphal, they may be the fuel.