Am I Alone?

DaiB

Visit site
No I'm still sailing, World Wide now, ex fred Olsen, ex Sea Land, ex Shell, ex Columbia, ex World Wide, ex United Arab, ex BP Tankers. And wish I was ex working and could bail out and go sailing full time!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MIKE_MCKIE

Visit site
Don't know what number now, but 1959-1989 in RFA (Deck Apprentice to Command) before seeing some sense & coming ashore. I got a bollocking from an older! person recently, told not to call it the "Merchant Navy" but the "Merchantile Marine"!! Now working for a Norwegian shipping Co., so still get to go onboard ships, but it's a real treat to be able to say, "good bye Captain, I'm off home now" after a 4 hour inspection! Still like to be retired & sail alla time, but guess this is not so bad.
Brgds
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Roger Chadney

That's the man. Co32 was "Accelerando". Tall, thin, ascetic looking man, but very pleasant once you knew him. A regular winner in the Haven Ports races. Then went out for a race, won as usual, went home and was found dead in his chair.

I once asked him how he came to take up sailing. He said that during the war his ship had been torpedoed. As an apprentice he'd been put in charge of one of the lifeboats, and had sailed it into the West Indies. Gave him a taste for it, he said.

ianbelcher

Visit site
I think I'm number 28.
Late as usual!
Ex Cunard deck cadet sailing in Brocklebanks Maihar, Cunards Parthia, Moss Tankers Luxor and Lumiere and Port Lines Port St.Lawrence and Port Chalmers before swallowing the anchor in 1975.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Vascojc

Visit site
Ian

Some familiar ships!

I started as you left in 1975.
Sailed on Lumiere and Port St Lawrence (although then named Matangi -last trip before she was sold onto foreign owners. Celebrated her 21st Birthday in Timaru).
Also Port Alfred, Markhor, ACT 2 & 3, Atlantic Conveyor, Atlantic Causeway and Atlantic Prosper, Saxonia,

<hr width=100% size=1>

ianbelcher

Visit site
Vascojc
Great to hear that somebody else remembers the old girls!
I'm trying to research the Luxor for model making purposes.
I don't suppose you know what happened to her do you?
I don't even remember who built her so that I can enquire at the shipyard archives for drawings.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tugboat

Visit site
Hello chums! Another old salt here. I was BP Tankers 1968-1980, then shifted to Maersk till '92 towing oilrigs and relieving them of their trash. Good fun though and beat the deepsea lark into a cocked hat. I'd be there now but for health probs-might be oilrigitis!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tarbolton

Visit site
Lamport & Holt Line and Blue Star 1972/77 joined RAF Marine Craft 1978/86 Back to MN 1986 Coasters and North Sea Now working on multipurpose supply/standby vessels North Sea as CH/OFF and surprise surprise on a British Registered SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a British Crew but POLISH Engineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

geoff

Visit site
If I could count I wouldn't be a navigator!Served my time with Harrison line (2 of fat and 1 of lean) then 3rd mate then second mate, jacked it in just before Masters and now own a holiday park in west wales.....spend my spare time sailing around milford haven with something called a gps and a laptop!Bit like harrison line...beers good but the food is lousy.My fantasy....find a chief steward I can kill without being found out!
see ya

<hr width=100% size=1>

petersto

Visit site
No definitely not. Some interesting posts though. Moss Tankers now theres a name from the past. MV Lucigen 73ish have to look at my discharge book. No ac Rastunuraa to Jeddah and back and then back again etc. Cunard, Franconia, Adventurer and Ambassador. Nobdy has mentioned Starvation Smiths, excellent outfit. Ten years in all as a 'lecky' and I enjoyed every minute.

<hr width=100% size=1>

RumRat

Visit site
Well, like a load of others, I don't know what number I am, but my sea going days started off by hitching a lift on tugs working the Birkenhead Docks in the late 40's and early 50s. Wanted to go in the Merchant as an RO, but my parents couldn't afford to send me to school, so went in the RN for 15 years, coming out in 1970. Then went into the Merchant with Fred Olsen, Freddie Everard, Thomas Watson, OCL and finishing up with Bookers of Liverpool. After that as RO on the exploration rig, Western Oceanic, Apollo ll, southern North Sea.

<hr width=100% size=1>Those that teach, shall also learn, and those that learn, shall also teach.

robert_gainer

Visit site
Add me to the list. Sailing Master on a West Country Ketch traveling from Falmouth to Brazil by way of Africa. On the other side of the pond, Master on small tugs and yachts. Now running a Sailing and Boat-Building school in New York, USA. www.fisheriestrust.org

<hr width=100% size=1>

ohturoey

Visit site
guess that i would be number 37 if i did it right, ¨started out late,1988 and still going, royal norwegian navy to cargo ships then rccl and now survey in northsea and all over up to 16 years so far....

<hr width=100% size=1>

landaftaf

Visit site
onother merch here .... though wont be reading this link for a couple of months as I am off to sea again next monday......... sunny climes await