alternators and charging

marasc

Visit site
I have a halcyon 27 with a dynastart fitted to a sabb 8 hp,
I want to fit an alternator to charge a separate bank of batterys for the house,
but keep the dynastart for charging the cranking battery.
can anybody help with the set up (brackets,wiring ect.)any help would be much appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by marasc on 06/12/2004 16:40 (server time).</FONT></P>

sailorman

Visit site
Re: alternator

fit an aternator,
B+ to battery
D+ ( field wire) connect to ignition switch pos, with a seperate switch to enable u to turn the alternator off
u may req. a neg from engine to battery as u possibly have an insulated return on your existing setup.
u will possibly need toremove the charging circuit from dynostart.
i think the above is right but Watch this space
roger

<hr width=100% size=1>Mines a Crocodile sandwich & make it Snappy

halcyon

Visit site
Interstingly, when we bought our Halcyon 27 it had a dynostart and an alternator.
The alternator was fitted by the previous owner, and had completed two trans-Atlantis crossings so works well, though appears odd.
He fitted a U bracket to the port side of the engine bay near the top, to this he fitted an alternator. A secondbracket carried a stud that went to the adusting bracket on the alternator. now the bit that never looked right, the drive belt ran on the flat of the flywheel, mid way between the two dynostart belts, and the front of the flywheel. It was held in place by the pulley on the alternator, this looked odd to me, but it must have done 8 / 10,000 mile as the main battery charger, and they got back to the UK. Running on the outside of the flywheel and the small pulley on the alternator compensated for the slow revs of the Sabb. He also took a cable from the voltage feed to the regulator in the alternator, and feed it up to a large variable resistor. By sliding the tapping up and down the resistor it altered the voltage seen by the regulator and thus the voltage from the alternator. There was a hydrometer and graph to check battery capacity and cherge level behind the intrument panel which was part of the monitoring system they used.
Not long sold the Sabb, through the alternator and all the brackets in, pity.
Let me know if you any more gen.

Brian

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://link>www.kddpowercentre.com</A>

wooslehunter

Visit site
I have a Watermota Sea Panther that requres a 24v starter battery. The domestic bank is 12v. Hence two alternators were fitted when I got the boat. The survey came up with an interesting point although I'm not sure it's very serious & haven't done anything about it.

One alternator is mounted on the engine as normal. The other is mounted on the engine mounts. The survey point was that the "hard" mounted unit would suffer bearing wear since the engine would vibrate on its mounts whereas the alternator would be fixed. In reality there's very little movement since teh engine is very smooth running.

If you fit an alternator to an engine that vibrates a bit then it should if possible be fitted to the engine itself.

<hr width=100% size=1>

halcyon

Visit site
The Sabb is bolted solid to the beds, so the whole boat vibrates in unison, that's why it worked in our case.

Brian

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://link>www.kddpowercentre.com</A>