Almanacs

capnsensible

Visit site
I fully understand what the Ocean Globe Race is about and hope the chap carrying all the books is far more accurate than me with a sextant. I politely declined an invitation both to the 'Race Village' and the start. Hence questioning the need struggle down the ramp at OV as I can't see any use for Reeds in the Southern Ocean. At this level skippers, and crew, should be competent ocean sailors and am even more puzzled at the reading material on weather. It would be an unusual passage to submit for an RYA Ocean ticket.

I am not a fan of the McIntyre harp back at a golden era of sailing races, but wish every competitor well. Materials, nutrition and clothing have moved on, I assume they are not still using hemp string and cotton sails.
Don't worry, they know what they are doing. And the need for the weight of every book they carry. 2024 is when they return.

Home

dunedin

Visit site
Don't worry, they know what they are doing. And the need for the weight of every book they carry. 2024 is when they return.

Home
Other than tides (which can get a separate thin printout of), is there anything in a Reed 2023 almanac that isn’t in (and more up to date in) the 2024 edition. Thinking lights, port information (though unlikely to be used) etc.
Didn’t think Astro nav stuff was in the modern Reeds, hence the other books.
(Or is it emergency heads supplies ;-)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Other than tides (which can get a separate thin printout of), is there anything in a Reed 2023 almanac that isn’t in (and more up to date in) the 2024 edition. Thinking lights, port information (though unlikely to be used) etc.
I'm going with the emergency heads supply, just in case they run out of papyrus. ;)

capnsensible

Visit site
I got absolutely no idea. Can't imagine though that they would carry one unless it was felt necessary. Doubt its all done on the back of a fag packet.

Try this link to ask the organisers.

Contact

ColleyV8

Visit site
Well, new copy of 2024 arrived, will see how long that lasts before a new one. Have most of the crusing guides for Irish Sea already thanks to the for sale section.

B27

Visit site
He should have waited for high water before struggling down the ramp at Ocean Village.

Quite why he needs a copy of Reeds 2023 and 2024, and so many weather books does lead me to worry about his skill.
He'd need to open the Reed's to know when HW was?

It's a long race, he will need plenty to read.

capnsensible

Visit site
So, a guy carrying a buch of almanacs, books, sight reduction tables and pilots for his yacht in a race around the globe using traditional navigation is reduced to an argument as to whether he needs next years Reeds?

Well done. :rolleyes:

penfold

Visit site
So, a guy carrying a buch of almanacs, books, sight reduction tables and pilots for his yacht in a race around the globe using traditional navigation is reduced to an argument as to whether he needs next years Reeds?

Well done. :rolleyes:
We've already had a thread about whether they're hair shirt loonies or not, so there's not really anywhere left to go.

dunedin

Visit site
Well no. I should though, stop being surprised at people draining down about things they don't understand......
Is your understanding superior to others on here?
When somebody chooses to get a PR style photo of the navigation books they are taking on board for a race, this is surely relevant for comment upon on a sailing forum. And what aspect of the comments was incorrect factually or wrong based upon “inexperience”?
This is a multi-leg race, and whilst cutting off the handles of toothbrushes may not have any practical impact, there is a psychological principle about avoiding unnecessary weight. More importantly and practically, dry storage space on a fully crewed racer will be at a severe premium.
I can’t imagine for a second that Laurie Smith would have allowed his Whitbread navigator to carry on board navigation books not relevant to the specific leg of the course (not ones for the third leg next year - load these for that leg). And he would expect his navigator to have gone through things like a thick almanac with scissors cutting out pages not relevant to the specific dates and leg of the course.
But I admit that whilst I have met and raced against people like the original Whitbread crews, I have never done one of the races personally.

capnsensible

Visit site
I met Lawrie Smith briefly once. It was in the gents in the not long opened TGI fridays in Fareham. I would say the one thing in common is that neither of us have a clue why peeps are fixating on a copy of 2024 Reeds. Brill publicity for the publishers though.

And as I have said, II haven't a clue why they are. But they do. So no, my understanding clearly isnt superior to anyone else on here. You may need to find another drum to bang. See what I did there?

penfold

Visit site
I suppose its not been factored in that they are a highly capable bunch of very experienced, in some cases, pro sailors?
I'd have the same opinion about a crew attempting Everest with the gear Tenzing & Hillary used; fair play to them but I reserve the right to call them loonies and roll my eyes.

[3889]

Visit site
I use Absolute Tides also. But rather than a “jack of all trades” item like an “almanac” why not invest in the proper pilot books / sailing directions for the area you plan to sail. These tend to cover in a lot more detail than an almanac.
Not sure the best pilot book(s) for your sailing area but might be something like this - Irish Sea Pilot
Last year I bought my first pilot book for a long time, Adriatic as I'd never sailed there before. What a waste of money! Inaccurate info on sailing and mostly stuff on restaurants and history which is available in far more detail on Wikipedia. I ended up relying on Navily, NoForeignLand and Noonsite. Navily was particularly good, being able to speak to people who had visited ports just days before and get bang up to date info on depths etc. Books on boats are a thing of the past. And no, the internet won't get turned off and I can manage batteries better than I can manage my reading glasses.

Other threads that may be of interest