Allen Keys or is there something better?

Quandary

Visit site
Thanks guys, a bit of shopping, some heat and a firm tap on the head with a drift, then.

Anyone got an opinion on whether greasing these things is worth the bother for the short time it seems to last?

Monique

Visit site
I would try an impact power drill set to light impact, using "Allen" headed bit. Ty tightening first then alternate... you should get there.

Heat may also help.

Loctite is not always a friend. GL

dmayes

www.drmsom.com
Allen keys etc

You can buy sets of allen fittings, torx fittings etc to mount into dril/screwdrivers. If you find one of those to fit then use a battery drill with a low setting to impact the screw loose. Lots of forward pressure to stop it slipping out and the drill will "hammer" repetitively on the screw loosening it.

Dipper

Visit site
Had the same problem a few weeks ago and also with the drain plug on the saildrive, a sharp tap with an impact driver sorted both out, impact driver now on the shopping list..............

I've used my impact driver several times this winter. I couldn't have managed without it. It's one of those invaluable tools that few people seem to have.

Boo2

Visit site
This year I can not get two of them out with an allen Key, The sockets are quite a loose fit for a 5mm. allen key but just too tight for a 5.5mm. one, so when I try to apply torque the key eventually skids out. I have tried using a key from a socket set to get a straight drive but they seem only to be available in 5mm or 6mm. sizes. and not that high quality, I have a set of imperial allen keys in intervals of 1/32 but can not find a tight fitting one there either.

According to this site 13/64" is a standard socket size, maybe you could borrow one of those and try that ?

Boo2

smonard

Visit site
You could carefully file the sides of a 5.5 allen key. I don't think there is an imperial size between those two. You can buy sets of hex bits with a holder to use with a socket wrench, be careful though it would be quite upsetting to round off the hole. A bit of heat would probably help.

Quandary

Visit site
Swedish millimetres?

The job is done, some heat, a sharp smack on the head, and started it with one of those allen keys you get with Ikea furniture which was a better fit than anything I could find in the sets in the toolbox.
I had some bits in a driver set but was disappointed to discover that the standard socket in a screwdriver does not match a metric socket size so you can't use a small socket ratchet to apply more torque comfortably.

VicS

Visit site
I had some bits in a driver set but was disappointed to discover that the standard socket in a screwdriver does not match a metric socket size so you can't use a small socket ratchet to apply more torque comfortably
.They fit a 1/4" AF hexagon socket ... remember the ones you had before all the cars went metric .... then you use the socket set.