Alcaidesa marina

Heckler

Visit site
Re: Good - Mostly

Always seems unfinished and half empty when I go there

The only thing people say is good about it, is that Gib is only 15min away. Is it cheaper than Queensway?
when
queensway was £15 a night the other week when i was there. 20 euros a night here. However, I didnt like the slime lines and being pushed between a steel boat, nice bloke, but his fenders left plasticiser all along my hull and the plastic boat on the other side had been dumped by its owner with the lines loose. Haggis Hunter finally fixed that. So I came across here aftesuffering dirty plasticiser marks and a seriously bent stanchion. Am in the internal bit, nicely protected and on a pontoon
Stu

capnsensible

Visit site

when
queensway was £15 a night the other week when i was there. 20 euros a night here. However, I didnt like the slime lines and being pushed between a steel boat, nice bloke, but his fenders left plasticiser all along my hull and the plastic boat on the other side had been dumped by its owner with the lines loose. Haggis Hunter finally fixed that. So I came across here aftesuffering dirty plasticiser marks and a seriously bent stanchion. Am in the internal bit, nicely protected and on a pontoon
Stu

Hopefully will catch up for a beer soon! Been out and about quite a bit.....

nauticalnomad

Visit site

They promote themselves as 5 star but far from it..
The marina bar that declares it has wifi but turns it off each day and the owner doesnt like foreigners visiting and tells them to leave some mornings as he has people coming in for lunch.
There must be around 60 odd Non Spaniards at anyone time in the marina and they all bypass the onsite Alcaidesa lounge/bar to go into Gib because it seems more accommodating. The marina management itself wont allow any more bars etc onsite as they obviously are in the pocket of and somehow related with the guy running the bar onsite at the moment. The chef can be seen standing in the kitchen with a cigarette hanging out his mouth and the bar staff the same some times. The place could do with a shop onsite but numerous people have asked to set one up but have been declined.
The toilets have just been refurbished, well half of the building has and the job was done half heartedly. The showers constantly running out of hot water with the new shower heads too close to the wall to have a proper shower.. Marineros with no marine experience whatsover and are just security guards driving round and round the carpark in golf buggies.
The place is a perfectly located marina if it was thought out a bit more and the management were more accommodating to the foreign yachtsmen. They would probably have more yachts stopping by as opposed to wanting to move on in a hurry.
On top of this.. Its all fine as we can put up with low class facilities but when they are promoting it as 5 star on the office door you have got to ask yourself what exactly the 5 star rating covers?
It isnt facilities- Thats for sure!

capnsensible

Visit site

Just a thought, have you spoken to the marina manager about any of that? If I remember right, his name is Antonio, he is half english so easy to have a conversation with. Mebbe ask the girls in the office for an appointment?

Hope you get some joy, I like the place, shame if standards are slipping.

Good luck!

Visit site

As Mrs Springy & RobbieW we are presently in La Linea....we also have friends in Marina Quay across the border in Gib who we have visited quite a few times....I certainly know which I would prefer to be in...I found Marina Quay and Ocean Village pretty horrid places...terrible swell, zero security, totally open to anyone and zero privacy with many of the bars, restaurants just yards from your cockpit.. La Linea on the other hand is a proper Marina...they have just revamped the showers/toilets and they are of a high standard...access to the pontoons is now electronic card, they also have excellent WIFI now which we can sit and stream UK TV from ....excellent security too from the marina staff who are always out and about...and on top of that great rates for us being a Multihull. Much cheaper living in La Linea too compared to Gib but if you need to go across its really easy...even more so if you have bikes.... I will take La Linea everyday over the Gib marina's..

Heckler

Visit site

They promote themselves as 5 star but far from it..
The marina bar that declares it has wifi but turns it off each day and the owner doesnt like foreigners visiting and tells them to leave some mornings as he has people coming in for lunch.
There must be around 60 odd Non Spaniards at anyone time in the marina and they all bypass the onsite Alcaidesa lounge/bar to go into Gib because it seems more accommodating. The marina management itself wont allow any more bars etc onsite as they obviously are in the pocket of and somehow related with the guy running the bar onsite at the moment. The chef can be seen standing in the kitchen with a cigarette hanging out his mouth and the bar staff the same some times. The place could do with a shop onsite but numerous people have asked to set one up but have been declined.
The toilets have just been refurbished, well half of the building has and the job was done half heartedly. The showers constantly running out of hot water with the new shower heads too close to the wall to have a proper shower.. Marineros with no marine experience whatsover and are just security guards driving round and round the carpark in golf buggies.
The place is a perfectly located marina if it was thought out a bit more and the management were more accommodating to the foreign yachtsmen. They would probably have more yachts stopping by as opposed to wanting to move on in a hurry.
On top of this.. Its all fine as we can put up with low class facilities but when they are promoting it as 5 star on the office door you have got to ask yourself what exactly the 5 star rating covers?
It isnt facilities- Thats for sure!
The bar is as you describe, the owner could do with going on a charm course, but the wifi in the marina is free now and fast. We watch Delos etc streaming easily. The toilet refurb, hmm we shall see, the marineros are good and very helpful, the security guards are very conscientious and patrol every couple of hours. The place is clean and well kept and most importantly secure and safe. I had a choice last year, Gib or La Linea, I chose LL for its pontoons, security and lack of swell in big blows. If I want the bright lights of Gib, its only 20 minutes away! The best of both worlds.
Its cheap as a stop over or a yearly contract. Its about €20 euros a night for my 11.6mtr Bene and €4200 a year
Stu

Heckler

Visit site

As Mrs Springy & RobbieW we are presently in La Linea....we also have friends in Marina Quay across the border in Gib who we have visited quite a few times....I certainly know which I would prefer to be in...I found Marina Quay and Ocean Village pretty horrid places...terrible swell, zero security, totally open to anyone and zero privacy with many of the bars, restaurants just yards from your cockpit.. La Linea on the other hand is a proper Marina...they have just revamped the showers/toilets and they are of a high standard...access to the pontoons is now electronic card, they also have excellent WIFI now which we can sit and stream UK TV from ....excellent security too from the marina staff who are always out and about...and on top of that great rates for us being a Multihull. Much cheaper living in La Linea too compared to Gib but if you need to go across its really easy...even more so if you have bikes.... I will take La Linea everyday over the Gib marina's..
Out a week tomoz, beer always cold on pontoon 7
Stu

RobbieW

Visit site
Yes, agreed, shuffling around the gate is indeed an easy one! In fact we do that when we want to go and visit people on other pontoons (don't tell!)

But the security staff are very much ever-present.

You'll have to pop over and have another look-see. Give us a shout if you do.

Having stopped a couple of nights on the way through (leaving the Med) about a month ago, a couple of updates.

The shuffling around the gates has been stopped (well I couldnt see an easy way round) by putting 45 degree metal strips along the base of the gate walls on the inside. You'd need sticky climbing shoes to try it now :)

The restaurant food available in La Linea has improved considerably according to friends who live locally. Mostly due to pressure from locals eating out and some competition, I certainly had a beautiful meal in Agora (Plaza de la Iglesia). The great thing is that prices havent gone up, that meal was €100 for 5 including 3 bottles of wine!

Visit site

Sorry to jump in on your posts guys..me and my wife are going to buy a used boat possibly a weekender cuddy or similar we plan to moor it at Alcaidesa marina for 12 months we both are living and working in the UK so will fly over every few weeks for a weekend, I've owned a fletcher speed boat way back when...so have a little bit of time on the water.....my question is do i do a RYA Beginner to Intermediate Course (Level 1, 2) here in the UK or is there an equivalent in or around Gib? I can do, I do speak a litte spanish but not briliant. Any advice would be greatly received thanks guys

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Sorry to jump in on your posts guys..me and my wife are going to buy a used boat possibly a weekender cuddy or similar we plan to moor it at Alcaidesa marina for 12 months we both are living and working in the UK so will fly over every few weeks for a weekend, I've owned a fletcher speed boat way back when...so have a little bit of time on the water.....my question is do i do a RYA Beginner to Intermediate Course (Level 1, 2) here in the UK or is there an equivalent in or around Gib? I can do, I do speak a litte spanish but not briliant. Any advice would be greatly received thanks guys
there a RYA school in Gib captnsen was base there , i sure he be alone soon to put you right

capnsensible

Visit site

That worked Vic!

Best to get up to ICC standard. Cue lots of people telling you not to bother but the Bay is big, busy and some Spanish marinas require qualifications (definitely Sotogrande) and all require insurance. And of course some insurers require a qualification..

Couple of choices. At La Duqesa, 20 mins by car are: http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk/

In Marina Bay. Allabroad Sailing do some motor and power courses.

But if you want, in my opinion, the best, try Motorboat Fast Track in Gib.

Good luck and enjoy! And dont get fed up with Dolphins. ;)

Last edited: