Albin Ballad or Scampi

johnsos5

Visit site
Hi,
Any thoughts, looking at a beautiful example of a Ballad but not ruling out a scampi either. For cruising and club racing.

pro's and con's

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

rudolph_hart

Visit site
No experience of the Ballad. In the 90's I raced against a Scampi in East Coast offshore races under IRC (then called CHS).

She was very competitive & really enjoyed a good blow (mind you... erm... :eek:)

doug748

Visit site
You probably saw the Scampi/Ballad post from 13th Aug.
I thought about one briefly (Ballad) but decided they were a bit too sprightly for my requirements. This means nothing to you as that may well be just what you are looking for in a club racer, they do sail very well. The Nationals are still held in the West Country but a tad too far to be of interest.
The keel is encapsulated Iead which is the only sensible way to do it on this style of boat, is one less thing to worry about and a trusty sign of quality. You, again, probably saw the threads on the collapsed mast foot which is a weakness but easily put right. The coachroof has been described as a sandwich construction and there are reports of some coming apart, as these things always will on a boat- a minus point, but can be rectified.
Below it is more of a racing layout then a cruising one, with lots of sea berths rather than microwave ovens. There were changes over the years so not all would have pilot berths, for example.
If you have found a good un, It must be a serious consideration, tho lots have been raced hard.

Gin

Visit site
I nearly bought a Scampi once- it was lovely and we used to race against one in the JOG fleet back in the 70'80's where it was a serious and potent rival.

But when I considered the one I went to visit I realised that the cockpit was not for family- too small- and I seem to recall that crew should be further forward to trim the boat, so it didn't suit my changed circumstances