RYA Yachtmaster/Day Skipper

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I agree. I did mine some years ago and even then I was frustrated by the blind eye that was turned to any electronic support. The Digital First initiative might change this but it's going to take time.
Digital navigation is very much is at the forefront. The RYA issued a survey last month to RTC and instructors about current use of plotters, apps et cetera to feed into the paper chart removal discussion. Plans are being developed to address the reality of paperless navigation in leisure world, small workboat space. The RYA are being proactive but it takes time, unlike consumers who can adopt tech very quickly.

ylop

Visit site
The RYA are being proactive but it takes time, unlike consumers who can adopt tech very quickly.
Charlotte’s have been around for about 40 yrs! It’s over 30 years since Garmin made consumer GPS possible on yachts! It’s nearly 25 years since selective availability was turned off. Its well over a decade since Navionics started using smartphones/tablets for navigation apps!

Throughout that time the RYA position has been very much “useful aid, but learn the paper” only now the paper charts are under threat are RYA trying to modernise…. It’s an interesting angle on Proactive!

capnsensible

Visit site
The RYA Coastal / Yachtmaster Offshore theory course changed some 7 or 8 years ago. There is a lot of satellite navigation exercises and some radar stuff included. The accuracy and usefulness of electronic navaids is part of it as well as some traditional navigation technique for when it fails.

Personally I found it a great course to teach and it's quite demanding for both students and instructors and needs a lot of hours putting in over the 6 days should one choose the classroom option. It is of course available by a number of online centres and again students find they really have to put the hours in.

Worth it though again in my opinion.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Charlotte’s have been around for about 40 yrs! It’s over 30 years since Garmin made consumer GPS possible on yachts! It’s nearly 25 years since selective availability was turned off. Its well over a decade since Navionics started using smartphones/tablets for navigation apps!

Throughout that time the RYA position has been very much “useful aid, but learn the paper” only now the paper charts are under threat are RYA trying to modernise…. It’s an interesting angle on Proactive!

Charts were not being removed until recently and UK hydrographic office were not even going to provide a print on demand service. There was no need to focus on ECDIS equivalency or intent, for leisure based systems. The MCA deals with navigation matters and they have done diddly squat in the leisure space for ensuring quality assured navigation systems are available, leaving it up to the market, because ECDIS systems already exist. The RYA have responded proactively to the removal of UK paper charts and started a process with other organizations ( the RYA are an intermediary) as the survey was organized by the IHO, International Hydrographic Office. The recognition of a style of consumer plotter for safe navigation sits at IMO level, delegated down to member organizations, who act on behalf of member countries. The RYA syllabus has for a long time contained electronic navigation. So yes, they are acting proactively in the context of digital only navigation for leisure sailors.

B27

Visit site
I think essentially, people do still need to understand the fundamentals, and those principles can best be taught and tested on paper.

You still need a working understanding of vectors.
You still need to check your position using a non-GNSS means.
You still need to be able to plan a passage.
You still need to understand pretty much everything that was on the syllabus 40 years ago?
Would you trust someone to deliver your yacht if they didn't have a reasonable grip of the old skool syllabus?

Apart from drawing tidily on a chart, what is it that you think people don't need to know or understand?

Teaching people to use say Navionics is good, but there are other packages.
If people are competent at paper methods, they are unlikely to struggle with electronic methods?

We need to bear in mind that YM qualifies people to be in charge of a vessel with crew, including commercially, it's not just driving test for singlehanding a cruiser.

Skylark

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm currently deciding whether I should go for my Day Skipper or coastal Yacht Masters.

I've had a look at the criteria for both and I feel comfortable with the course content in the Yacht Masters.

I've had over 10 years plus of costal motor boat navigation around the west cost of Scotland, reading the weather/tides etc and got a good amount of sailing miles with my uncles 36ft yacht + a lot of dinghy racing expense !

If anyone has any thoughts on what I should do or what might be best please drop a message.

All the best.
With great respect, I would not take advice on this issue from members of a forum, however well meaning.

RYA publication G158, Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus & Logbook, is well worth a read in your circumstances as it contains information pertinent to both Shorebased and Practical courses and their recommended pre-course requirements.

Having read, then contact the sea school of choice and have a discussion with the Principal or the Chief Instructor, not their Bookings Administrator.

As an active YM Instructor, I believe that this route is more likely to ensure that you receive the best training appropriate to your needs.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
With great respect, I would not take advice on this issue from members of a forum, however well meaning.

RYA publication G158, Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus & Logbook, is well worth a read in your circumstances as it contains information pertinent to both Shorebased and Practical courses and their recommended pre-course requirements.

Having read, then contact the sea school of choice and have a discussion with the Principal or the Chief Instructor, not their Bookings Administrator.

As an active YM Instructor, I believe that this route is more likely to ensure that you receive the best training appropriate to your needs.

Weird reply to ignore everyone's advice then give advice that reflects what others have posted on this thread, including the link to the logbook and syllabus, and contact an RTC. If your comprehension skills are this bad, you can't really be a good YM, never mind instructor, and thus your advice should be ignored.

Edit: comprehend the compression!

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
Weird reply to ignore everyone's advice then give advice that reflects what others have posted on this thread, including the link to the logbook and syllabus, and contact an RTC. If your comprehension skills are this bad, you can't really be a good YM, never mind instructor, and thus your advice should be ignored.

Edit: comprehend the compression!
Please feel free to put me on your ignore list 👍

B27

Visit site
I think Skylark's advice to read the syllabus etc online is pretty good.

Personally I'd suggest mapping out a plan to achieve YM Offshore, unless you have urgent need for a lesser qualification, e.g you want a ticket to charter.