AIS question again

derekgillard

Visit site
Hi,

This year while crossing the channel in far from perfect visibility at the shipping lanes I decided I should purchase an AIS receiver for next season.

I've been reading all the posts here and clearly everyone's requirements differ, in my case I'm tempted to go for the NASA Radar and wondered what views or experience you guys have on this product bearing in mind the following.

I have a DSC VHF which is only two years old and works perfectly well so reluctant to change it.

I would only use the AIS on cross channel or off shore crossings (three or four times a season) , if I'm in the Solent and encounter fog or poor visibility I can and have used Marine traffic on my I Pad.

I'm not keen to connect a receiver to my plotter as it's too cluttered already.

I'm not keen to connect a receiver to a lap top or similar due to battery drainage, if I use the NASSA then it will be connected to the boats power so I can always charge it

The NASA AIS Radar is very competitively priced

I just wanted it to get me out of trouble and too me its looks to be the best bet.

I welcome your views or other ideas bearing in mind my requirements above

Thanks

Malabar

Visit site
I run a NASA AIS receiver through my Raymarine E7 display. Works well and I would hardly say that the display was cluttered. I have set it up so that each target shows only a small triangle on the display; I I need more information I select that target and away you go. If a cross-channel passage in anything like marginal visibility or at night was likely I should certainly want both RX and TX. Only the lack of depth to my pocket is holding me back on that as the upgrade is relatively simple to achieve.

Plum

Visit site
Hi,

This year while crossing the channel in far from perfect visibility at the shipping lanes I decided I should purchase an AIS receiver for next season.

I've been reading all the posts here and clearly everyone's requirements differ, in my case I'm tempted to go for the NASA Radar and wondered what views or experience you guys have on this product bearing in mind the following.

I have a DSC VHF which is only two years old and works perfectly well so reluctant to change it.

I would only use the AIS on cross channel or off shore crossings (three or four times a season) , if I'm in the Solent and encounter fog or poor visibility I can and have used Marine traffic on my I Pad.

I'm not keen to connect a receiver to my plotter as it's too cluttered already.

I'm not keen to connect a receiver to a lap top or similar due to battery drainage, if I use the NASSA then it will be connected to the boats power so I can always charge it

The NASA AIS Radar is very competitively priced

I just wanted it to get me out of trouble and too me its looks to be the best bet.

Thanks

I have a NASA AIS *radar* and find it very useful indeed. Not as good as having the AIS overlaid on your chartplotter. I have it connected to a little rubber handheld VHF aerial mounted about 1.2m above water and i pick up ships at 8 miles which to me a perfectly acceptable.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

prv

Visit site
What is your plotter too cluttered with?

Especially in the middle of the Channel.

Can always switch off the receiver in the Solent.

I would have doubts about the usability of the NASA display - it shows you what's there, but it doesn't look like it even gives a CPA, let alone the predicted relative positions that really help you decide what action is needed.

Of course, some plotters are a bit rubbish about such things as well :)

Pete

johnalison

Visit site
Yes. I think it would be a mistake not to integrate it with the plotter. It just makes for more work while on passage, and it is easy to overlook one's limitations when tired or overworked. With the appropriate scale chosen, there should be little on the screen, and you could probably simplify the display, as I can on my e7 but never do. I find the most useful facilities are to be able to set a 1 mile guard ring round my boat, and set vectors for the target relative to my boat.

doug748

Visit site
Hi,....

Thanks

I used a Nasa Radar for about 10 years and had the highest regard for it. It's simplicity is it's strength and, for the money, I think you would not be disappointed.

Because I wanted to transmit class B AIS I moved to a Vesper this season which is fine but four times more expensive. The Nasa screen is more intuitive in general use but the Vesper has a superb predictive CPA screen which helps as great deal. The Nasa has a simple but useful proximity alarm whereas the Vesper has a battery of alarms which require a degree in Boolean algebra to grasp.
Bear in mind that the Nasa does not have a built in GPS so needs a feed from somewhere, maybe your VHF?

I think my requirements are pretty similar to yours and I only switch the things on a handful of times each season, each time they are very welcome though.

derekgillard

Visit site
Ok I guess there is no point asking the question unless I take the advice, so maybe I should use the plotter.

I have a Raymarine C70 so bearing in mind I don't want to change my VHF what would be the most cost effective way to proceed?

Thanks

Poey50

Visit site
I had the NASA 'Radar' AIS on my previous boat and I find it compares very unfavourably to AIS displays on a chart plotter on anything other than price. A particular problem for me was that the NASA can't be switched out of a North-Up display. I found that reasonably intuitive if heading north-ish but hard on the brain if travelling south. That plus the CPA stuff makes AIS much more functional on the plotter.

Last edited:

derekgillard

Visit site
I used a Nasa Radar for about 10 years and had the highest regard for it. It's simplicity is it's strength and, for the money, I think you would not be disappointed.

Because I wanted to transmit class B AIS I moved to a Vesper this season which is fine but four times more expensive. The Nasa screen is more intuitive in general use but the Vesper has a superb predictive CPA screen which helps as great deal. The Nasa has a simple but useful proximity alarm whereas the Vesper has a battery of alarms which require a degree in Boolean algebra to grasp.
Bear in mind that the Nasa does not have a built in GPS so needs a feed from somewhere, maybe your VHF?

Interesting,
Can I pick up the GPS from my VHF?

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
http://onwamarine.com/kp-708a/

I saw this at the scottish boat shop at Kip

A chartplotter with GPS and full class B GPS for under a grand

I have a DSC VHF plus a GPS and was going to leave them be and maybe buy one of these once enough people say they are good!

They have now opened the box to integrate AIS technology (two way!) with a plotter so hopefully others will too rather than charge us twice for separate boxes

Last edited:

Pye_End

Visit site
I have the NASA 'RADAR' and AIS on the plotter. Both are useful in different ways, but for a quick - 'what's around and will any of them be anywhere near me' I invariably use the NASA. It is very quick to assess whether you need to look harder at any of the targets.

The plotter is particularly good at showing where ships are in relation to shipping channels, so in the Thames Estaury for example it can be reasonably predictive, but you do have to pick the icons out from all the other information.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
+1 for the advantage of having the AIS display on the plotter: helps you make sense of what's going on, and which 'targets' are of interest.

For example, crossing the Thames estuary, you can see which vessels are in which channel (and hence whether they are of relevance and what they might be doing next), as well as where they are in relation to yourself.

I've not found clutter to be a problem (though I only have it on when I'm on the sort of trip where it's of use).

I bought a DigitalYacht AIS Antenna Receiver, which I'm pleased with. This is a small aerial that mounts on a rail or post somewhere, with built in AIS gubbins. Just connect the cable to the plotter and off you go. Cost is now c £219 it seems (was a bit cheaper when I bought mine).

prv

Visit site
The plotter is particularly good at showing where ships are in relation to shipping channels, so in the Thames Estaury for example it can be reasonably predictive

I can see the use of it in that part of the world, but for the OP crossing the Channel there aren't really any relevant charted features. The best "landmark" around there is the stream of ships themselves, so a display of AIS targets alone gives all the necessary context.

Can I pick up the GPS from my VHF?

Probably not from your VHF itself, however if you have a working DSC VHF then it must be receiving a position signal from somewhere and you should be able to feed that same signal into a standalone AIS display. However, if you're going to display it on a plotter then the issue doesn't arise anyway, since the plotter already knows where you are.

I have a Raymarine C70 so bearing in mind I don't want to change my VHF what would be the most cost effective way to proceed?

Whichever is the cheapest available two-channel NMEA0183 AIS receiver. They all receive the same messages, and the quality of display and analysis is up to the plotter. As an example (without having looked any further), MES are selling the Digital Yacht AIS100 for £140. You will also need either a second aerial and cabling, or a splitter to share the VHF aerial - this applies whichever receiver you get including the originally-proposed NASA.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Take people's​ advice who have it and use it and buy into the whole package, you won't be disappointed.

"Buying into the whole package" versus "most cost-effective", I'd recommend something from Vesper. The C70's handling of AIS isn't great - it tells you the basic information, but it doesn't make avoidance very intuitive and it only has one fairly crude alarm setting - whereas Vesper have made a name for themselves in designing systems that actually give watchkeepers what they need for effective decision-making.

Pete

TSB240

Visit site
Lots of good advice being given. But why oh why do you only want a receiver.....

My advice would be see and be seen and I would highly recommend the Matsutec
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Matsutec-HP-33A-Transponder-Marine-Navigator/dp/B01LY463P5.

This can easily be interfaced with your chartplotter and allows you to have a cockpit display which you can reference from the helm. More importantly all the big stuff will know who and where you are..... And for little more than the antiquated Nasa Radar.

I have used this for the last two years and find the multiple screens in the cockpit are way more useful than a chartplotter below.
We don't have a chartplotter below but I have a Pipo X9 mini computer/ tv set top box with a 7 inch screen that consumes less than the average chartplotter. It is happily running Open CPN using VMH and CM93 charts. It will provide also provide all your music needs and can connect to the internet for other in port use.
This also allows all the systems on the boat to be networked.

Oh and you can make it into a 24" plotter if you have a 24" television on board to plug in to which is ideal for whole passage planning rather than scrolling and zooming in and out on a chart plotter looking for hidden detail and hazards.

Steve

derekgillard

Visit site
Lots of good advice being given. But why oh why do you only want a receiver.....

My advice would be see and be seen and I would highly recommend the Matsutec
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Matsutec-HP-33A-Transponder-Marine-Navigator/dp/B01LY463P5.

This can easily be interfaced with your chartplotter and allows you to have a cockpit display which you can reference from the helm. More importantly all the big stuff will know who and where you are..... And for little more than the antiquated Nasa Radar.

I have used this for the last two years and find the multiple screens in the cockpit are way more useful than a chartplotter below.
We don't have a chartplotter below but I have a Pipo X9 mini computer/ tv set top box with a 7 inch screen that consumes less than the average chartplotter. It is happily running Open CPN using VMH and CM93 charts. It will provide also provide all your music needs and can connect to the internet for other in port use.
This also allows all the systems on the boat to be networked.

Oh and you can make it into a 24" plotter if you have a 24" television on board to plug in to which is ideal for whole passage planning rather than scrolling and zooming in and out on a chart plotter looking for hidden detail and hazards.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
On the face of it this might be the answer Do I understand this is a AIS transponder and receiver that has it's own screen that I can read from the chart table? Do I need to connect it to my existing GPS ?
I have a C70 Raymarine plotter on deck, however, they no longer make the NMEA cable to connect to an external device and its has a faulty screen issue, the thing is I will replace it in time but at this stage will be happy with a device that gives me AIS at the chart table.

Thanks Derek