Aircon on boats?

GC1

N/A
Visit site
Just wondering how many people have aircon and what the benefits are apart from keeping cool. I have it on my boat and it has been very nice with the recent weather, especially in such a small cabin, I was wondering if there are any after effects I should look out for e.g. can it leave a mouldy smell e.t.c.

Thanks

DAKA

Visit site
I fitted it to the last boat when we had a baby on board but I dont think it is really necessary for UK coastal cruising as there is usually a sea breeze.
The current boat came with it and it is nice to use it occasionally (Nice to cool the boat quickly after it has been closed up all day in the heat)

I much prefer to be anchored and swimming to cool down or better still sat on the Flybridge at 25 knots /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think if you let the crew put it on they are less likely to want to go out and it can have the same effect as been shut in on a rainy day.

I' ve not noticed any mouldy smell but on the down side I have three units (one for each cabin) and that means three more sea cocks and three more winter antifreeze jobs.

Nice to see you return to boaty posts Pete /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DERF

Visit site
I dunno however I read this:

The bacterium which causes legionnaires' disease is widespread in nature. It mainly lives in water, for example ponds, where it does not usually cause problems. Outbreaks occur from purpose-built water systems where temperatures are warm enough to encourage growth of the bacteria, eg in cooling towers, evaporative condensers and whirlpool spas (tradename Jaccuzi) and from water used for domestic purposes in buildings such as hotels. Most community outbreaks in the UK have been linked to installations such as cooling towers or evaporative condensers which can spread droplets of water over a wide area. These are found as part of air-conditioning cooling systems.

I guess as the system is not drained after every use it could breed and multiply...

DAKA

Visit site
I hope Derf will explain cos I dont know, I thought raw water cooled was safe from the standing stagnant water you have in the air cooled type ???????????

Marina showers should be avoided out of season or at least run the water while you wait outside the cubical.

DERF

Visit site
The bacteria that cause LD are unaffected by PH but they do struggle to survive in both heavily chlorinated water( tap) swimming pools etc and in Salt water.

That doesn't mean they can't survive , it just means they struggle to survive!

Anyway worry not as there a very few cases to report.

fibz99

Visit site
One problem with AC's onboard ive found is that the driptrays under the everaptors tend to be flat, drainge isnt to good and slime can build up and then clog the drain, hello mold smell.
As far as i know with the legionares issue, keep blowers and ducting clean and dry - no probs.

DAKA

Visit site
Thats a relief thanks derf, all our contaminated water ejects over the side and splashes the boat crew on any adjacent boats. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yup, got aircon on mine and its nigh on essential in the Med summer IMHO plus being reverse cycle gives welcome heat in the colder months
I've had a few boats with aircon and I dont remember any smells or other after effects if left for a long time. The only small issue is dripping water from the condenser but if thats in the engine bay its not an issue

GC1

N/A
Visit site
Is it true that the reverse cycle part only works when the sea temperature is above a certain level? I have used it on chill evenings and it has been fine, but not in winter yet, just wondering if a Webasto is also required, but then there would be loads of dcuting.

GC1

N/A
Visit site
I don't know the temperature here in London, but one of the hottest days I can remember, definately aircon for me this evening on the boat /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Other threads that may be of interest