air conditioning on board

lindsay

Visit site
Summer sailing has become consistently too hot for an old git in the Mediterranean. To avoid me easyjetting back to northern climes most of July and August, I was wondering if anyone has found a portable air conditioning unit suitable for a yacht of 28 feet?

220 v is ok since I can handle going out for 8 to 10 miles and just meandering about in the breeze, or at anchor. Its the days and nights in a marina that now make me ill, not just hot.

The units I have seen locally for house or caravan are too cumbersome. I am not looking to bring down 38 deg plus heatwave temperatures to 22, but for example reducing an inboard temperature of 36 to 26.

santelmo

Visit site
I think that a small boat unit would struggle to bring the temp down so much, I know ours would. The temp of the surrounding sea water in a marina at that time of year is high and this makes the unit less efficient. I have often thought of trying to bring water up from a greater depth. They are also power hungry.

pandos

Visit site
I had a small marine unit that was really effective, water cooled and the unit fitted easily into the locker, nothing like few pints in the hot sun and then falling into an ice cold cabin for a snooze in the pm..... water was drawn in from about a foot below surface and poured out about a foot above the surface.

If fitting it again I think the outlet should be out through the sink outlet, and thus would be silent (so no promotion of human waterworks) and invisible in marinas where supplies are not measured/metered.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I had a small marine unit that was really effective, water cooled and the unit fitted easily into the locker, nothing like few pints in the hot sun and then falling into an ice cold cabin for a snooze in the pm..... water was drawn in from about a foot below surface and poured out about a foot above the surface.

If fitting it again I think the outlet should be out through the sink outlet, and thus would be silent (so no promotion of human waterworks) and invisible in marinas where supplies are not measured/metered.

Approx. price, make, model, power consumption?
OP might be interested in more detail. I assume it was fitted to an HR352 and OP might get away with a smaller system than one you had.
Plenty advertised on internet but few appear to give a price. I get the impression that low end is around £2,000 (+installation).

Last edited:

temptress

gbr195t.com
We fitted a small ac unit to ToD for the same reasons. I looked at lots of options and decided a small portable unit was the best option. it cos just over SS$400 (about £250)and I fitted it myself in an afternoon in the marina. Thu unit I have is 1200BTU and cools the saloon and forward cabin on our 47 footer. I would look online to see what's available. Go to a Singaporean or US based site as these things are much more common there. You will have more choice abd more options but buy online either in Singapore or Australia to get 220/240v units. Don't buy a US speced one.

typical temperature here is 36 to 38 down below in all marina. i can get the cabin to 18 if i need to. At anchor we open the hatches and have comfro silent(ish) 12v fans below.

Last edited:

Flica

Visit site
Best I've seen was an LG LW 6016R, 6000BTU window unit, fitted face-down to the forehatch of an American boat, he reckoned the cost was $500, including the ply blanking plug. I had to put on a pullover to sit in his saloon for drinks. Use Google to search more details. Being air-cooled, seawater temperatures were irrelevant, and the hot air was directed straight up with no outlet hose.
He had a big transformer to convert the 230v 50c ac to 115v 60 cycle.
AC units are cheap as chips in the US and prices reflect the gold-plating for the UK ;-)
So I've never seen one here - but plenty of cheaper units in Greek stores.
I just anchor and leave the forehatch open, with or without a windscoop - much cheaper!!!
PS His boat was about x2 the size of the Ops.

Last edited:

lindsay

Visit site
Many thanks for all the info. I will look into the air cooled units, seemingly much cheaper. I will also modify my needs to aim for a reduction in cabin temperature by ten degrees from the 38 plus of the heatwaves that bring on heat stroke rather than mere discomfort in a marina. Out at sea I can handle it.