Advice on the state of my props

Frontier

Visit site
Hello all,

Down at the boat this weekend and noticed the props were not looking so good. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? Maybe it's normal? (They were last painted 1 year ago)

Any advice appreciated.

D

[image]
2007_04290001-1.jpg
[/image]

Whitelighter

Visit site
eeek - that looks like Cathodic corrosion. How are your annodes? Have you checked them recently. In the short term, I would seriously consider unplugging your shore power and check the annodes ASAP

I take it you have Alluminium props?

DoubleVision

Visit site
Looks about right for ally dp`s after a year afloat. Not much you can do really. A pal of mine even hacd his powder coated but that all came off. From experience 2 coats of hammerite does the job as well as any other paint system. I`ve gone over to stainless which never seem to deteriorate but boy do I get through my anodes.

syd

Visit site
I use Jotun Penguard for my props and outdrives. Its a two pack paint that sets like enamel. Superb stuff and not too expensive. If you ring Thornham paints on
01422 366033 they will give you any advice you need for protecting your underwater gear.
I must agree with Jezz though, looks like a lot of pitting. You'd best check your anodes.

Syd

Frontier

Visit site
Hi Jez,

I was wondering if it was cathodic corrosion too. But I fitted a galvanic isolator in October; it never seems to have its warning lights on so it should be working OK. Only thing is I do have aluminium anodes, which were supposed to be good for the mixed environment of the marina at Chi and the Solent.

Or maybe I just didn't prepare them well enough last year, they were done in a rush at the end of our last day before re-launch.

D

DAKA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Looks about right for ally dp`s after a year afloat. Not much you can do really. .

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

At least the props are saving the legs !

I used to paint each year and tried all sorts , Plasticote probably stayed on best but not for long.
Your best option is to paint silver.
It will still come off but not a s noticeable .

mont

Visit site
Hi again,
There my props aren't they !
Exactly the same as mine on last lift out.
Put it down to
1. poor anode earthing (x4) fitted by VP last spring. Now resolved
2. Shore power left on during week during winter. Not now
3. Steel boat next door. Move berth ?
4. Crap paint job last spring. Now re-painted professionally (£60)
5. No galv iso. Now fitted.
6. Poor paint on drives. Fully stripped down and repainted with 1000 hr rebuild.

Await .......

Frontier

Visit site
Hi Mont,

I think its some of what you say. I have only had a GI installed for half of the period in question and no photo (or memory) of how they looked 6 months ago.

I probably didn't sand them well, as I was in a rush, the day was running out and she was booked back in the following morning.

The anodes are Aly this time so I wonder if that means the props are as anode like as the actual anodes.

I now need to get them off but was not planning getting her out until September/October. It’s so damm expensive at Chichester. The best part of £400.