Advice needed on precautions when using boat throughout Winter

ashtead

Visit site
We have kept our boats i the water for many years at Haslar so not the coldest location but a few thoughts to add to views:-
1) assuming you have shorepower buy a dehumidifier -we invested in a new Meaco last year which has a drying facility and it’s best ever idea-liveabords swear by them or the ones at Haslar seem to - we also use crystals in lockers
2) have some small fan heaters plus a larger electric panel or oil heater for when you are on board ;
3)buy a cockpit tent to give protection/place to take off wet gear and dry it ;
4)buy wool duvets
5) get some cheap rugs if you don’t have fitted carpets;
6) check the filter for you diesel heater is ok /clear?
7) instal some insulation below?
8)watch utube videos of those sailing in cold climates eg sailing RAN who have a Najad in Baltic and ice in the marina etc;
9) remember tasks take longer and it’s wise to prepare more to keep any heat below ie not opening hatch all the time;
10 as said water tanks are fine but if you leave boat run pipes dry before leaving;
11) buy a heated set of clothes or jacket like builders have;
12) have an electric blanket to turn on before you go to bed;

We don’t sail that much in winter but do visit for a night on board but tend to avoid Jan and Feb -things can get damp so take home books ,binoculars etc and bring down if you plan a trip out. Bedding needs putting in its storage bags so worth buying these from IKEA etc.

Poignard

Visit site
I kept my wooden boat on a mooring, sailing all year, and had no trouble at all with damp of condensation. I think this was because she was set up to have a howling draft from the lazarette hatch (left off, under the cockpit cover) straight through to the fore hatch (left open by three clear inches with side “wings” and a cover. A boat of normal shape on a mooring will ventilate from aft to forward because of the sheer which causes a low pressure area over the foredeck.
I was thinking of offering to crew for you during the winter but, after reading that, I have changed my mind. :eek:

johnalison

Visit site
We have kept our boats i the water for many years at Haslar so not the coldest location but a few thoughts to add to views:-
1) assuming you have shorepower buy a dehumidifier -we invested in a new Meaco last year which has a drying facility and it’s best ever idea-liveabords swear by them or the ones at Haslar seem to - we also use crystals in lockers
2) have some small fan heaters plus a larger electric panel or oil heater for when you are on board ;
3)buy a cockpit tent to give protection/place to take off wet gear and dry it ;
4)buy wool duvets
5) get some cheap rugs if you don’t have fitted carpets;
6) check the filter for you diesel heater is ok /clear?
7) instal some insulation below?
8)watch utube videos of those sailing in cold climates eg sailing RAN who have a Najad in Baltic and ice in the marina etc;
9) remember tasks take longer and it’s wise to prepare more to keep any heat below ie not opening hatch all the time;
10 as said water tanks are fine but if you leave boat run pipes dry before leaving;
11) buy a heated set of clothes or jacket like builders have;
12) have an electric blanket to turn on before you go to bed;

We don’t sail that much in winter but do visit for a night on board but tend to avoid Jan and Feb -things can get damp so take home books ,binoculars etc and bring down if you plan a trip out. Bedding needs putting in its storage bags so worth buying these from IKEA etc.
I always recommend hot water bottles as the most economic way of dealing with cold, useful in one’s berth, the cabin, or even the cockpit.

I have not come across woollen duvets. In any case, I can’t live with wool next to my skin. Our duvets are good quality down-filled ones, and worth the money.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Woolen or down duvets are a thing of the past. A hollow fibre one from the likes of Asda costa about a tenner. Very warm and cheap enough to throw away when it needs washing.

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
I have outlets for my eberspacher in the berth and spare lengths of ducting so always have a dry toasty bed to get into in winter, start with warm feet and you stay warm.
12v Power advantage of being a stinky of course.
Don't drain domestic water pipes just turn off pump and leave taps open, my deck shower is isolatable and drainable and was only fitted for when the dog finds smelly things to roll in.
A drop of freezeban into sea water strainers and run for a minute is all engines get and it only takes a few minutes to do, a £20 bottle of freezeban lasts a winter and is much cheaper than volvo bits so worth doing just in case.
I'm based on broads just outside norwich with no shore power but have a solar panel to keep batteries topped, I like to do weekend pub runs in winter so don't like to disable the boat too much.

michael_w

Visit site
A chum was extolling the virtues of his electric blanket when staying onboard in the winter. I commented that my electric blanket has 'added features' ie t*ts, to which he conceded was a great improvement on his arrangement. Otherwise a hot water bottle is a good investment.

johnalison

Visit site
A good quality down duvet, or jacket, is warmer and lighter than its synthetic equivalent. It may even be better for the planet, if not the geese.

johnalison

Visit site
A chum was extolling the virtues of his electric blanket when staying onboard in the winter. I commented that my electric blanket has 'added features' ie t*ts, to which he conceded was a great improvement on his arrangement. Otherwise a hot water bottle is a good investment.
My HWB without a cover is just right when I use the hot water from the tap, without the need for a kettle.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
A good quality down duvet, or jacket, is warmer and lighter than its synthetic equivalent. It may even be better for the planet, if not the geese.

I don't accept that. I have a pair of el-cheapo synthetic duvets, one in each cabin, they weigh far less than the duck and down one at the house and even the 10.5 TOG one is too hot for for most of the time. The 13.5 TOG one in the aft cabin is really hot.

Paulfireblade

Visit site
So while you are all here, what about bilge pumps?

When I leave the boat and turn off the 12 volt isolator the bilge pumps is off as well.

Does anyone leave their automatic bilge pump on whilst away from boat?

I

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
So while you are all here, what about bilge pumps?

When I leave the boat and turn off the 12 volt isolator the bilge pumps is off as well.

Does anyone leave their automatic bilge pump on whilst away from boat?

I
No need - my boat doesn't leak, and there's no reason why a GRP boat should. I don't even have an automatic bilge pump.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
That is true but playing “Devils Advocate” isn’t it like an insurance for the unexpected event you couldn’t predict while you are away from the boat?
That's what I pay marina fees for; I might consider an automatic bilge pump if I weren't on a supervised berth or mooring. The problem with automatic bilge pumps is that they can disguise a condition that should be fixed. Further, there have been several reports on here of an automatic bilge pump hiding a worsening leak until the point where the bilge pump failed or the batteries were flattened, resulting in catastrophic flooding.