Advert

ChrisP

Visit site
Kim. Why do we now have to navigate around a Volvo advert to get to this site? Is it a ploy to fend off contributors. Where will we find them next. It's bad enough having the banners flashing at us all the time without more dross to get through. Please give us an opt out option or shove the Volvo adverts onto a sailing site where they need them.

Chris.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
direct bookmarks

...or you can now use a direct bookmark, http://www.ybw.com/forums/ which brings you straight to the main index (or user option screen if that's the way your prefs are configured).

Incidentally, you can now do the same for weather...try http://www.ybw.com/weather/ We'll be organising further bookmarks soon for a few other key areas.

Why the Volvo (Car) ad? It helps to pay the bills and web team salaries here (and no before you ask, I don't get paid overtime to stay up until the nether regions of the night tracking spoofers)!

ChrisP

Visit site
Re: direct bookmarks

Already use the weather page and really like it. you dont have to tell me what hours you work, remember I have my own spy in your office. She's you number one fan and won't have a word said against you. Just get fed up with adverts interupting my play time, hence the reason I've stopped buying the Motor Boat & Yachting. Ever worked out the percentage of adverts in that mag and the actual price per word of the readable articles it contains? Please ask Jake not to let MBM get that way.

Hurry up and sort out a date for that drink on the boat.

Chris.

byron

RIP
Visit site

WOW! Chris, I had to say something about the magazine advertising both MBM & MBY. I buy the mags more for the adverts than the articles, though I do enjoy the snippetty newsy stuff. The bulky 2/3 page ones rarely get read by me.
Takes all sorts dunnit :)

©2001

andrewbarker

Visit site

So it's not just me. For the first time in 8 years I didn't buy MBY last month. I just couldn't find any good reason to buy. I wonder if their relentless progress upmarket may be a teeny mistake if we really do get a heavy economic downturn. Or am I just getting old?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Advert Blocking

HiYa Tomo,
i have done a download of Admuncher (very quick d/l only 65k) and have started my 30 day free trial. Can't see how much it is to buy though. I can see it working but have not noticed any improvements as yet - early moments. I will let you know later what I think.

©2001

byron

RIP
Visit site

First problem. On some sites it also blocks a photo.
i.e.
If you go to a site to look at a boat for sale and there is a photo of the boat there, the details come up but the photo gets 'munched' I experienced this at www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk but not at ybw.com

©2001

ChrisP

Visit site

Must admit some of the ad's are usefull but lately the mag's have become more like Sunseeker mail drops than a normal persons entertainment. I've been looking at the PBO recently, Much more interesting. DIY articles equipment reports and articles on subjects we can understand and afford. The even have their own almanac that is affordable and not stuffed with "never used" information. Must admit there is a lot of sailing stuff but what the hell. Maybe we could persuade Jake to try a bit of a motor boat version and leave the MBY to the "dentist surgery table cloth" slot.

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site

Hello Byron,
Yup it can block wanted items, but if you configure it to show where it has blocked you can turn it off for that page by a right click on the icon for the menu, then left click on 'activate'.
According to the site, its $15 to register (haven't had my 30 days yet)

MikeBrazier

Visit site
If you click on the word Forums on the ybw home page on the bit where it gives you previews of posts it goes straight in to the forums page. If you use Forums from the navigation bar at the bottom you get the Volvo ad.