ACME “dreadnought” surgrip anchour

WoodyP

Visit site
Honestly, if you have any experience such as wot I have, you need the Monkey metal Fail-me- Never. (TM).
After two nights at anchor in the corner of the Marina, I have never felt at risk, even in the F3 that blew up in the early morning.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
When I read the heading a little ditty came to mind 'Threadgold's thorogrip, Threadgold's thorogrip, Threadgold's thorogrip garterettes..' de dah. Was it Mr Milligan's?
It was from a TV adaptation (almost certainly on the Beeb, but I can't exactly remember) of the Daily Express "Beachcomber" column. Spike Milligan acted as master of ceremonies for the programme, and cited the column as an influence on the Goons. Wikipedia will no doubt tell you more, but inter alia the column gave us Mr Justice Cocklecarrot, who still appears in Private Eye from time to time, and Dr Strabismus of Utrecht, the eccentric inventor.

Why do I know this stuff? ?

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
It was from a TV adaptation (almost certainly on the Beeb, but I can't exactly remember) of the Daily Express "Beachcomber" column. Spike Milligan acted as master of ceremonies for the programme, and cited the column as an influence on the Goons. Wikipedia will no doubt tell you more, but inter alia the column gave us Mr Justice Cocklecarrot, who still appears in Private Eye from time to time, and Dr Strabismus of Utrecht, the eccentric inventor.

Why do I know this stuff? ?
Just a slight correction - you missed out the 'whom God preserve' in Dr Strabismus of Utrecht, as far as I recall. The show I think was called Q5. I didn't look up any of this on Google!
Yes and why do I know this stuff. And other stuff like SM's news report 'The man died suddenly after being run over by a steamroller'. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jhr

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Q5 was a telly series, created and performed by Spike Milligan, with no connection to Beachcomber except for Spike himself, of course. IIRC It derived its name from the fact that, before she was launched and named, the QE2 was known as Q4. (Qs 1 and 2 being the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth and Q3, I think, being an abandoned project for another Cunard liner that never got built). I'd forgotten about God preserving Dr Strabismus but you are right, of course. Like you, I haven't had recourse to Google, hence some of this stuff being a bit hazy.

Fred drift, I fear, though not as, erm, argumentative as yer usual anchor thread :LOL:

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Q5 was a telly series, created and performed by Spike Milligan, with no connection to Beachcomber except for Spike himself, of course. IIRC It derived its name from the fact that, before she was launched and named, the QE2 was known as Q4. (Qs 1 and 2 being the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth and Q3, I think, being an abandoned project for another Cunard liner that never got built). I'd forgotten about God preserving Dr Strabismus but you are right, of course. Like you, I haven't had recourse to Google, hence some of this stuff being a bit hazy.

Fred drift, I fear, though not as, erm, argumentative as yer usual anchor thread :LOL:
Fred drift maybe, but you could argue that Q5 was in news bulletin format and that SM was the news anchor...:rolleyes:

Reactions: jhr

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Just a slight correction - you missed out the 'whom God preserve' in Dr Strabismus of Utrecht, as far as I recall. The show I think was called Q5. I didn't look up any of this on Google!
Yes and why do I know this stuff. And other stuff like SM's news report 'The man died suddenly after being run over by a steamroller'. :ROFLMAO:

I gave up and Googled, partly because I remember a jazz pianist appeared, apparently baffled, who I believe played locally to me but I never got to see (Alan Clare, also a Goons alumnus). Wikipedia notes there were subsequent increments to Q5. And there is a nice quote from Terry Jones, who like other Pythons felt they had been anticipated, that their guns had been "Spiked"! Also of course some YouTube pirate copies...