Access to Marinas during Covid 19 restrictions

D

Deleted member 36384

I respectfully invite you to compare what you think the restrictions are with what the law says the restrictions are. You can find the law at The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.

Government Guidance, do your own interpretation.

Staying at home and away from others (social distancing)
https://assets.publishing.service.g..._staying_at_home_and_away_from_others__1_.pdf

If you are not a worker, which I assume, means paid for the work, you should not be travelling to a boat yard for DIY work, or to check your boat.

steveeasy

Visit site
Unfortunately "engage the brain" seems to mean "do what other people think the rules says with no reference at all to whether that is safe or sensible or what the rules actually say". Which is why knowing what the rules are and why they have been made actually matters.

For example, people keep saying "for essential work", but there is nothing in the rules about "essential", just work that can't be done at home. Why do so many people think they know better than the people who made the rules?
Jumbleduck,
People don't think they know better, they are just giving their interpretation of what was written. Essential refers to Travel. there was a lot of confusion initially as TV reporters were saying fixing a path was not essential work. but it did not need to be. the point was you could travel if it was essential for you to get to any type of work. wether one can work in a place that should be shut is another matter. most people now are simply staying at home.
Steveeasy

doug748

Visit site
.................... we have just implemented more stringent restrictions with no travel beyond 2 Km from home and beyond that only for "Essential Work " and to purchase food. ....
Kinsale 373

That 2Km rule sounds like good sense.
In the UK we can only drive:

1) Absolutely nowhere or

2) Anywhere you like

Depending on personal interpretation.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
People don't think they know better, they are just giving their interpretation of what was written.
I wish I had your confidence that they have actually read what is written.
Essential refers to Travel.
I know that, and you know that, but an amazing number of people think that only essential work is allowed, which of course is not the case.

penberth3

Visit site
I respectfully invite you to compare what you think the restrictions are with what the law says the restrictions are. You can find the law at The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.

Strictly speaking, you have a point, however the message has always been "stay at home". The intention is that going out for exercise should be close to home. It's unfortunate this hasn't been stated clearly, I'm sure it will be. Wait and see how many people have flocked to the coast or national parks this weekend, then stand by for more legislation.

Edit: Something I missed, there IS now guidance on exercising - use open spaces near to your home/no unnecessary travel. So that supports what the Police and others have been saying.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Strictly speaking, you have a point, however the message has always been "stay at home". The intention is that going out for exercise should be close to home. It's unfortunate this hasn't been stated clearly, I'm sure it will be. Wait and see how many people have flocked to the coast or national parks this weekend, then stand by for more legislation.

Edit: Something I missed, there IS now guidance on exercising - use open spaces near to your home/no unnecessary travel. So that supports what the Police and others have been saying.
It's a matter of balance, think. I can go for a walk on practically deserted roads by leaving my front gate and turning left or right; someone in a city may well be justified in making a short journey to avoid much busier streets. The spirit and intentions of the rules are every bit as important as the actual wording.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
For clarity I am in self isolation as I have more reason than most, I am disabled in the fact that I need a blue badge, my wife is down with the virus we think.
I got in my car and drove the 2 mins to the lochside so I can get out of the car and my dogs can run without much walking from me,

I disagree with some of what you have said elsewhere, but there is nothing to stop anyone whio is self isolating from taking a walk. As long as socail distancing is observed, which you say it has been.

Tintin

Visit site
Mylor Yacht Harbour has been shut for the past week or more. And to my reading the government guidance is quite clear: no movement except essential journeys (eg to shops or work). End of. That’s what North Wales Police have been policing on the A55 into Wales. Going to the boat, out to the hills for a walk or a trip down to your second home isn’t an essential journey. And as has been said above, watch out for further restrictions if enough people don’t stay home this weekend.

Yep, can't go to boat. Or drive a short distance to go for a secluded walk. Police in Cornwall enforcing that.

But it's OK to load your car up in London with your family and drive for 4 hours to come to your 2nd home in Cornwall, otherwise why don't the Police do something about that?

The bridges over the Tamar need shutting now.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I’m a director of a holiday village in Cornwall, composed of just over 100 cottages. We live here over the winter and it’s empty now apart from a few folks like us who spend the winter here. No owners or customers here: all let’s have been cancelled and thankfully most of our owners have heeded government and our advice to stay away. No idea about the more entitled folks with second homes in places like Flushing and Mylor though: my daughter says that there’s signs that the usual London crowd are down but at least they’ve followed their usual habit and brought their food with them....

eddystone

Visit site
Yep, can't go to boat. Or drive a short distance to go for a secluded walk. Police in Cornwall enforcing that.

But it's OK to load your car up in London with your family and drive for 4 hours to come to your 2nd home in Cornwall, otherwise why don't the Police do something about that?

The bridges over the Tamar need shutting now.
That would result in starvation in parts of Cornwall and deaths through inability to reach emergency care in Plymouth hospitals

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Stay Home

Protect the NHS

Save Lives

it's that simple !
After 1 week on continues news , the forum have minor earthquakes discussing the issue, people trying to determine if going out of your front garden is legal , others discussing if they run out of food can they eat the cat and how far can one truly cycle wearing those Lycra trousers we get it(y) please no more Info on it
I am still isolating I still take my Dog out I still have met no one , I cannot give anyone the virus as I have not seen any one , oh did I mention I have not met anyone or seen any one just saying like , but the wife has probably given it to me so that means I will not meet anyone hope thats cleared a few things up , oh and if you do go to your boat at the bottom of your Garden please be aware your neighbour has been instructed to phone the local police thanks all for watching and good night

GTom

Visit site
Tosh - Many yards/marinas have closed. Those staying open are doing a 'Sports Direct'.

To date, 1k+ have died in the UK. Unfortunately there will be more tomorrow.

Stay at home! Protect the NHS, Save Lives.
What's wrong with staying on the hook? Provided the boat is loaded with supplies for the next 2-3 Months? Thought about it in February, unfortunately she's still on the dry. Plenty of social distancing, I never anchored closer than 100yards to anyone...