Access to Marinas during Covid 19 restrictions

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Strange that you posted from a HM Gov I took this from their post
stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily

were possible = meaning you can travel to get exercise if you do not have the space or area near by but do it locally , now locally does not have a mileage attached , so local to the person living in the country is different to those in a high rise flat,
Do not travel unnecessarily - but you are allowed to go out and exercise, which full circles back to the distance one can reasonably travel to get fresh air and exercise , one would think travelling 30 miles is excessive , but if you need to go 5 miles to walk your dogs and get out of the city this would be deemed reasonably by any COURT remember the police can only arrest you the courts decide if you are guilty not this forum
But again it is the nimbies the curtain twitchers and those that scorn their neighbours for leaving the bins out to long are the ones that like to tell us all what we should and should not do , we are a responsible nation no one wants to be an arse but please do not tells us we cannot go out and use sensible precautions

QED

Caladh

Visit site
There is no distance laws , people are allowed to drive to take their dogs out and to exercise, the rules are no large gatherings , the rules are pretty clear, to those that think we should all stay locked in our houses , when we need to get to the supermarkets, the chemists, fresh air , walk the dog ,are not thinking in any logical mindset, stop treating people as we are all stupid , it is perfectly easy to keep social distancing outside , more so than having to go to the supermarket.
driving to get to a place for exercise is not banned, if it was were is the distance rules, were is the ban on driving, were is the ban on leaving the house there is none, pretty easy to understand and follow,
Also if your boat is near by and you can get to it without forming a group and there are not many people around then you can work on your boat, if the yard is open, as to touching trolleys and gates , wear gloves and wash your hands again pretty easy and simple measures to control the spread,
The virus is mainly spread though person to person contact via water droplets form that person hence the 2 metre rule , standing at your boat with no one near you and you drove there will not spread a virus ,
So what don't you understand about not going out unless for shopping or a 30 minutes walk ? It's not all about you.

Trident

Visit site
So what don't you understand about not going out unless for shopping or a 30 minutes walk ? It's not all about you.

I don't want to get involved in another pointless argument but people must stop quoting their misinterpretations and vague recollections as fact.

Why a 30 minute walk - NOTHING in the rules passed by the Govt this week says there is any sort of time limit on your exercise - I have seen lots of posts and arguments in person about people who believe they know the facts and that there is a limit on time. Its really not difficult; the Act in full is online and the announcements made in the press are quoted verbatim on BBC online etc - don't self interpret and try to present that as a fact and criticise others for breaking the non-existent law.

Caladh

Visit site
I don't want to get involved in another pointless argument but people must stop quoting their misinterpretations and vague recollections as fact.

Why a 30 minute walk - NOTHING in the rules passed by the Govt this week says there is any sort of time limit on your exercise - I have seen lots of posts and arguments in person about people who believe they know the facts and that there is a limit on time. Its really not difficult; the Act in full is online and the announcements made in the press are quoted verbatim on BBC online etc - don't self interpret and try to present that as a fact and criticise others for breaking the non-existent law.
My mistake about 30 mins exercise - sorry. However I ask again what don’t you understand about the restrictions? Unfortunately people do need to be treated as stupid - they’ve proved it, hence the need for even more restrictions. There will be more put into force if you insist on ignoring them.

Under the restrictions, everybody must stay at home and only leave for these reasons:
■ to exercise once a day - either alone, or with members of your household
■ shopping for basic necessities, although this should be done as little as possible
■ medical need, or to provide care for a vulnerable person
■ travel to or from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary
If you have to go outside you must stay more than 2m (6ft) apart from others. This is what's known as social distancing.

steveeasy

Visit site
Island Harbour, Cowes now effectively closed, no leisure boat movement except by previous arrangement for people 'relocating' (it is the changeover time between contracts) boatyard is still working with boats already out and/or within marina it seems and chandlery open with restricted hours and sensible access rules offices only open 1 hour daily all contact otherwise by phone/email. locals seen visiting their boats to check and marina doing routine checking daily. all seems reasonable enough and daily cleaning/disinfection routines in place

Well the chandlery should not be open. Where I live the town has shut down completely, no one anywhere, they are setting a good example, Infact the busineses are going even further, essential retail shops who were allowed to stay open have even closed. It seams common sense prevails, most people understand the best thing to do is stay in. Heaven knows who decided to keep open a chandlery. Idiots.

Steveeasy

FlyingGoose

Visit site
My mistake about 30 mins exercise - sorry. However I ask again what don’t you understand about the restrictions? Unfortunately people do need to be treated as stupid - they’ve proved it, hence the need for even more restrictions. There will be more put into force if you insist on ignoring them.

Under the restrictions, everybody must stay at home and only leave for these reasons:
■ to exercise once a day - either alone, or with members of your household
■ shopping for basic necessities, although this should be done as little as possible
■ medical need, or to provide care for a vulnerable person
■ travel to or from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary
If you have to go outside you must stay more than 2m (6ft) apart from others. This is what's known as social distancing.
What is your point then people are allowed out simple so stop arguing about nothing

FlyingGoose

Visit site
[Content removed]
Stop insulting people makes you look like a plum , just because you interpret something differently others have a difference of opinion, when you throw insults it shows you have lost the argument or you do not have the capacity to continue like an adult, like I said this should be in the lounge or Scuttle so people with a broader mind can look at it , again please stop with the insults or your welcome to insult me to my face rather from your keyboard , I do take insults on the chin and welcome a good debate at 2 metres distance ofc

Last edited by a moderator:

Momac

Visit site
Okay
Taking your dog for a car journey in order to then exercise the dog is not permitted nor is travelling by car to the take exercise permitted.
You can walk a dog or walk yourself anywhere.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Okay
Taking your dog for a car journey in order to then exercise the dog is not permitted nor is travelling by car to the take exercise permitted.
You can walk a dog or walk yourself anywhere.
Wrong as if you have a blue badge it would be seen as appropriate. also if you live in a city and all the parks have been closed by the council it would seem appropriate, to take the car to the local field nearby ,this is a fluid law with plenty of discretion by the police thankfully and not the members of this forum , also it is not wrong to take the car to get to your exercise , only advised not to . and to stop any more insults, I have been locked down for 15 days now, I am high risk my wife is high risk, my daughter is a risk. I should be screaming for people to stay in but I am sensible to the rules I understand the need to get out , and I have no problems with people being sensible , responsible , and limiting their journeys to avoid spreading , what I will not tolerate in a free society is lock down , in our homes according to those that do not understand these rules and spreading false information based on their own fears

Trident

Visit site

I understand the restrictions completely and in no way have broken them or suggested that others should - I simply pointed out that it doesn't help when people quote bollocks as facts and then blame others for not complying with their bollocks .

Robin

Visit site
Well the chandlery should not be open. Where I live the town has shut down completely, no one anywhere, they are setting a good example, Infact the busineses are going even further, essential retail shops who were allowed to stay open have even closed. It seams common sense prevails, most people understand the best thing to do is stay in. Heaven knows who decided to keep open a chandlery. Idiots.

Steveeasy

pleased do not jump to daily mail conclusions

the chandlery is only 'open' for collecting pre-ordered essential/safety items at the door, ring first, and use sanitizer supplied, no entry inside. plus they have a small grocery inside and take some orders for that, same arrangement which as live aboards with no transport nor family around is very much appreciated. nice sunny day today here and NOBODY ABOUT, office closed. lock gates shut, restaurant and bars long closed, car park empty. Cowes harbour effectively off limits to leisure users, google Cowes local notices to mariners

jwilson

Visit site
Also to the boat today, the closest I came to any other human was 6 ft for a few brief seconds and that was walking along the pavement outside my house, which is a favourite dog-walker/jogger route as it has a nice sea view. Doubled mooring lines, put out extra fenders, tied up roller genoa tight, lashed boom to stop wear on gooseneck, checked bilges, shut seaocks, turned off all electrics. I'd have done this last weekend if I hadn't been working and had known we were to be in "lockdown" from Monday.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
As yet you’ve not told us what you don’t understand about the restrictions? Everyone must stay at home....did I see in an earlier post your wife showed symptoms.? And you think it’s ok to go out........I despair.
I despair at the lack of reading one does of posts it clearly says I have not been out for 15 days , corrections always welcome the advise is stay in not the law please feel free to correct me or correct yourself and admit that sometimes fear is the driving factor not common sense

Caraway

Visit site
Strange that you posted from a HM Gov I took this from their post
stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily

were possible = meaning you can travel to get exercise if you do not have the space or area near by but do it locally , now locally does not have a mileage attached , so local to the person living in the country is different to those in a high rise flat,
Do not travel unnecessarily - but you are allowed to go out and exercise, which full circles back to the distance one can reasonably travel to get fresh air and exercise , one would think travelling 30 miles is excessive , but if you need to go 5 miles to walk your dogs and get out of the city this would be deemed reasonably by any COURT remember the police can only arrest you the courts decide if you are guilty not this forum
But again it is the nimbies the curtain twitchers and those that scorn their neighbours for leaving the bins out to long are the ones that like to tell us all what we should and should not do , we are a responsible nation no one wants to be an arse but please do not tells us we cannot go out and use sensible precautions

It's people like you and the bloke in this article Motorhome owner sent home from Devon after driving from Birmingham who rely on the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the regulations that will reduce the efficacy of the lockdown. Why are you able to judge whether 30 miles or 5 miles is OK, yet tell the rest of the forum is is not up to us?

Go for your drive. Get fined or arrested. Come back and complain to us about how unfair it is.

Rappey

Visit site
A chandlery is also a hardware shop. If a boat is in danger of foundering then parts may be needed ?
It looks like we may need a complete lockdown with roadblocks everywhere until people understand what "non essential" travel means.
It's hard to believe how many do not understand plain English and constantly look for alternative meanings.

NormanS

Visit site
Thankfully, the vast majority of people understand what is meant by "no unnecessary journeys", but there will always be a small minority who think that it doesn't apply to them, and will drive to walk their dogs or themselves. Some people don't understand, and some are simply thick.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
A chandlery is also a hardware shop. If a boat is in danger of foundering then parts may be needed ?
It looks like we may need a complete lockdown with roadblocks everywhere until people understand what "non essential" travel means.
It's hard to believe how many do not understand plain English and constantly look for alternative meanings.
I am disabled blue badge holder is my travelling non essential use of a car , your validation of non essential thankfully is up to the police to decide and not the public forums of this country which are awash with opinions