aberdovey

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Many years since I have been there but the Harbourmaster used to put you along the "pier" and you had to dry out. The pool was taken up with moorings and the tide ran through like a mill race! Pretty village. The bar difficult in onshore winds. Perhaps someone has some more up to date info.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Not good experience to be honest. Surfed in with no water in the troughs, that was my fault for 'going for it' F7..

Was almost forced onto the sandbank inside the estuary by the rather aggressive dinghy racers who seem to be crossing the moorings like moses crossing the red sea... i.e. non-stop no gaps.

Was put on a mooring, this was fine but very exposed and right in the track of the dinghy racing*, we were hit twice by dinghy booms and told off by one arrogant old tart that I should not leave for at least an hour as they were still racing ~ I only went out to check my strops as the forecast was for F9-10 that night.

Did not sleep at all, for a while at around 3am I had the engines running as I was sure we were going to need to move, strong current and exposed to storm we were beam on at times. Other times we were taking green water over the bows.

A day or so later I complained to the harbour master when a mobo had passed at high speed with less than 2ft clearance. Fair do's, the mobo put his hands up and said yes it was too close, but he didn't think anyone was aboard (?????)

I went into the sailing club and lodged a protest or at least tried to concerning my boat being belted with a clang of their booms.... the commodore said he spoke to the dinghy crews and they denied even being very close at all.. strange as I ended up in a slanging match with one of them.

Slipway where you leave the tender is very busy, fair enough, but also very very open to the promenade, I did not feel comfortable leaving it unattended with the outboard on, knowing the current through the moorings I would not even entertain rowing a rubber dub. We bought a little anchor for the tender because of our experience of Aberdyfi / Aberdovey.

I am not sure you can get an assured place on the wall, it was full of local boats for the 3 days we were there. The pier maybe available, but when it was blowing up in the night, waves were crashing over the west end of the pier.

On the positives, it is picturesque as no marina, nice beach and cafes. we did not eat out as we did not want to be in the dinghy in the dark, and it was blowing a hoolie until the last day. I would go back, but only if the weather was stable, I went in to sit out a passing front, that was a mistake, in hindsight I should have turned around as the forecast worsened and sat it out on my mooring in Pwllheli. As it happened we got no further on this cruise as the weather was too unstable and the windows short.

*The mooring was not where it was meant to be as I learnt later from the HM, he informed me it had been dragged a week before by a visiting yacht.. hence having engines running during the worst of the storm as I had no confidence in the tackle at all.

Visitors moorings - 3 yellow cans top right
Aberdyfi-visitors-moorings.jpg

Sand bar at entrance
Aberdyfi-sand-bar.jpg

Slipway at far end of harbour wall
Aberdyfi-street.jpg

Town from moorings
Aberdyfi-visitors-moorings-pier.jpg

Aberdyfi pier, exposed when blowing except if you can get around corner at far end
Aberdyfi-pier.jpg

Sorry about the ugly mug, this is after no sleep, the weather calmed for a few hours. The visitors wall is behind me in this shot, the pier is off to the right well out of shot. This area dries at MLWN. This was the only time it was empty, locals started to move boats alongside as the tide flooded.
Aberdyfi-visitors-wall.jpg

deaks

Visit site
Thanks for that Dogwatch!
I'm helping a friend bring his new pride and joy up from Lymington to Holyhead over Easter.
Assuming we get reasonable weather (it's a Malo 36)
I was suggesting after we round Lands End we might head across to Arklow and then if the weather does turn bad we've got more chance of safe heavens and hopefully not on a lee shore.

Landale

Visit site
If you have deep pockets try Aberystwyth but why not stop at Milford - well sheltered then to Milford to Holyhean in one go?

arto

Visit site
Aberystwyth and Aberdovey entrances both require some care, a decent rise of tide and should be avoided in anything strong from the west. In a blow, Aberystwyth is fine once you're inside, Aberdovey less so.

If you're rounding Lands End and the weather is looking iffy, then Milford is a good place to head for - plenty of places to leave the boat if necessary and a well lit entrance that should be possible in pretty much any weather.

Don't know Arklow, I'm afraid.

Visit site
If the weather is iffy - Milford (well Dale if just stopping for the night) and then Arklow / Wicklow.

Arklow is OK - better off on the pontoons in the river rather than actually in the marina IMO

Wicklow - against the wall or anchored - cheaper - facilities at yacht club if you can get in

Both fine and easy so long as there isn't a strong Easterly - in which case Welsh coast would be fine ...