A Williams Jet Rib Guide

GGiusep

Visit site
Agreed - not that you are from Yorkshire and tight though.

This thread just goes to prove my experience with jet powered boats.
They are expensive and always going wrong.
A nice conventional RIB with a conventional outboard will be FAR more reliable.
Think about it - even if you throw the outboard away every 3 seasons, you will still be way "in pocket".

I've had Jet RIBs and Jet Skis - they were all unreliable.
Great fun but really not worth the effort.
And manoeuvring a jet powered boat is a completely different story - most people rely on the tubes to stop them - i.e. crash.
With a conventional RIB, you can manoeuvre much more sedately - and not look a twit as you moor up.

Sorry, J - just my experience and thoughts.
Agreed... however it just feels wrong to replace and come time to resell the mothership with an outboard (as she came with the williams out of the factory)... Always good to have factory products in working order.

jrudge

Visit site
Challenge is Hurricane that any outboard I have had has given me grief. A friend gave up and bought a 285 and ask Whiteligher if this parish for his views !

I don’t claim Williams are sweetness and light but given this is the only running Williams thread there are competitively few issues given the med crowd ( except at carles !) all have them. The engine is stressed as hell given its bhp per litre and just like all modern engines it has stacks of sensors to go wrong.

So you perceive Williams as a disaster, my own personal experience of outboards is likewise !

I suspect we are both right ! To me no prop is the end of it and I would simply not have a prop with my kids in the water. It is like some people don’t mind gas on board. I would not do that either !

Roll on 2020 and a sunny season!

TonyR123

Visit site
I am 99% sure my next tender will also be a williams. Not had any issues yet with my minijet, but this engine could be less stressed than the others at 50bhp? I do get it serviced at start of season each year by Williams Balearic and also flush through with water after each use.

Kind of hoping they bring out a battery version at some point so don’t have to bother getting fuel.

GGiusep

Visit site
Hi
Thanks Jrudge, i'll give this ago... sounds like this could be the problem... Thank you again.
Hi Jrudge, I ended up having the tender serviced, new spark plugs, new battery, oil change, coolant change etc. working fine now.
Facing an issue now with water getting into bilge when underway doing at least 10 knots. Might be a cracked intake seal or leaking hose ?‍♂️
where can I get a quote to replace the tubes? They are looking really old tired and damaged...

pmartini777

Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been following this thread for a while since I purchased my 2nd hand 2009 Williams 445 tender. First off, I feel a bit like a fool when I purchased it. I didnt test drive it as it was in storage when I purchased it but did run it with a hose to test the engine, shifting, etc. This is my first Jet tender but have owned jet skis in the past so familiar with the basic care and maintenance of one.

I ran across this thread when I purchased the tender back in 2019. It ran great out of water with fresh water hose attached. I tested giving it some light acceleration (I know its not ideal but had to test). No issues at all.

Then I put in the water with the kids. Ran great for about 5 min then goes into a limp mode. It got stuck there for a few minutes then boom! accelerates and its back in action speeding along. Then back to limp mode. No alarms or lights (although I dont really know if they actually work need to check). Would do this over and over. So I took it out and switched the water temp sensor, new fuel, new spark plugs based on some of the feedback on this thread. Tested out this season for the first time and now its worse. It runs perfectly out of water but now the second its in the water, runs only in limp mode. After a long while, it gets out of limp mode but then 1 min later back in. I checked the exhaust and it doenst feel like its overheating. I need to double check but didnt notice it excessively hot.

I read about this engine on other forums (Yamaha, etc) and some other ideas. But before I do them would love the forums feedback. I'm holding off on looking like a fool in front of my gf for dropping this kind of coin on something that doesnt work out of the gate. And the kids are really eager to get out.

Thoughts about:

Change pressure sensor?
Pull the jet pump to look for a small screen and clean it (yamaha forum not sure if it applies to williams)?
Any other test I should try first?

I'm afraid of going down the swap parts and pray route. Appreciate any feedback as there are no shops around me that would touch a jet tender (San Diego, CA). Even the williams recommended shop in town doesnt want to touch it!!

pmartini777

Visit site
I went and reviewed the sea water cooling vs. the fresh water tap to flush. The fresh water tap has a t that taps into the cooling line running under the oil canister. The raw water flows through the tow cut off valve then to the charge air cooler (I believe) at the front of the engine. I disconnected the sea water hose at the tow valve and blew with my mouth towards the jet pump to see if there was any pressure. When I first tried, there was definitely resistance for the first couple of seconds so something was in there I believe but not definitative that was the issue given some water must have been getting through else the exhaust would have been smoking while in the water.

Below is a pic of my jetpump and the raw water pick up tube/s I believe. Couldnt blow and feel for air at the same time :). I traced the hose to these from the inside.

Question, is there supposed to be a screen of any sorts to filter out debries? Is it inline somewhere? Seems odd that this tube would run to a hose then directly into the charge air cooler without a filter. If there is one, Id like to check it.

This is a 2009 Williams 445 with a weber 750 in it. Thanks again!!

williams jet pump.jpg

jrudge

Visit site
There are no screens in the cooling system that are listed in the service schedule so I suspect there are none.

Limp mode is triggered by sensors. I had an issue which was actually the connection to the temperature sensor as opposed to the sensor itself.

If a cooling restriction ( on a 325) the exhaust ( final metal part Before rubber hose ) will get properly hot ( not just warm ) as it is internally water cooled.

If not I would go back to the Williams shop. They need to put the computer on it.

pmartini777

Visit site
Thank you very much for the response. I read your thread around the change of temp sensor (or wiring). I went ahead and changed the coolant temp sensor and checked the wiring and all looked good. I am now changing the map sensor with hopes that will solve it. I find it interesting that the intake tubes have no filter. Seems like kelp can easily get sucked in there and cause havoc. Unfortunately, there are very little williams shops around. The one recommended by williams here in San Diego, California basically told me to please not bring it by because they dont like working on them!!! LOL. So I am on my own (with hopeful helps of this thread which i found as a godsend). I purchased a scanner for weber motor from weber power. Figured I'd need that anyhow. Waiting for it to arrive.

pmartini777

Visit site
It was ~ $330 USD. Comes with the cables and a cd. Hasnt arrived so not sure what its capabilities are. Will report back when it does

Owesseli

Visit site
Hi,
Thank you for all the information on this board.
We are interested in buying a 2012 Williams 385 Turbojet but have some questions:
- We will use it only on freshwater, do you still need to flush every time after use?
- Can it stay in freshwater for a longer time (days/weeks)?
- Engine looks like new but checking the oil it looked cloudy (check picture below), what does that say?
047d72db-76ff-4646-90e9-1b66c4c1b406 (1).jpg
Kind regards.

jrudge

Visit site
Hi,
Thank you for all the information on this board.
We are interested in buying a 2012 Williams 385 Turbojet but have some questions:
- We will use it only on freshwater, do you still need to flush every time after use?
- Can it stay in freshwater for a longer time (days/weeks)?
- Engine looks like new but checking the oil it looked cloudy (check picture below), what does that say?

Kind regards.

1. The flushing is mostly re salt - but I would still flush it from time to time if it were me

2. There is an anode on the back so yes - but you would need a fresh water ( magnesium ) anode. BUT your bigger issue will be fouling. Other on here will have experience of ribs in the water for long periods - I dont so I will leave it to others

3. That there is water in the oil. Classically this would be the head gasket. Get the vendor to fix it and talk to the person who did it. Engines are VERY highly stressed - they have more BHP per litre than an Ferrari - and if it goes bang it will cost you an engine.

The oil in these is critical as it cools the turbo - so if it has been run with emulsified oil I would be very wary of buying it. Clearly the owner does not know or they would have replaced oil pre viewing. Personally knowing what I know I would not buy what is now an 8 year old Williams with an issue like that

Owesseli

Visit site
1. The flushing is mostly re salt - but I would still flush it from time to time if it were me

2. There is an anode on the back so yes - but you would need a fresh water ( magnesium ) anode. BUT your bigger issue will be fouling. Other on here will have experience of ribs in the water for long periods - I dont so I will leave it to others

3. That there is water in the oil. Classically this would be the head gasket. Get the vendor to fix it and talk to the person who did it. Engines are VERY highly stressed - they have more BHP per litre than an Ferrari - and if it goes bang it will cost you an engine.

The oil in these is critical as it cools the turbo - so if it has been run with emulsified oil I would be very wary of buying it. Clearly the owner does not know or they would have replaced oil pre viewing. Personally knowing what I know I would not buy what is now an 8 year old Williams with an issue like that
Thank you for your quick reply.
Just contacted the seller and he says that the boat just came from (winter) storage at the dealer that also gave maintenance. He took it only for 1 ride till now.

PalmaTarga

Visit site
I am 99% sure my next tender will also be a williams. Not had any issues yet with my minijet, but this engine could be less stressed than the others at 50bhp? I do get it serviced at start of season each year by Williams Balearic and also flush through with water after each use.

Kind of hoping they bring out a battery version at some point so don’t have to bother getting fuel.
Hi Tony, if you do sell your MiniJet, let me know I may be interested. We're in Portals also and have just had to order new tubes on our 285, but being an '08 model you never know when it may give up the ghost, and could be tempted with a minijet.

Miura

Visit site
Hello,

maybe somebody has an advice as my 2007 Williams 325 (Weber) has a problem.

The throttle of the 325 doesnt work like it should - for me it seems the Rib doesnt get enough fuel.

Checked pre fuel filter, the tank is half full, fuel pump sounds properly and tank venting seems working.

It works on the slowest throttle but if you go on, it has the problem to "go forward".

I dont know if its in Limp Mode - there is nothing shown on the panel, no light or anything else.

Maybe someone has a clue ....

Miura

Visit site
It just stutters, in the smallest gear it is possible to move. Yesterday when I put from forward to backward the engine also stuttered an out.

Everything above smallest gear is stuttering not getting the throttle ...

Starting the engine and idle is OK.

jrudge

Visit site
A friend just had an issue where the fuel line was collapsed. So I would check that the line is in good condition all the way to the engine.
Next there are lots of sensors and they cause issues when either the contacts are dirty or they are faulty
the main one seems to be the temperature sensor. There is also a map sensor. I would find all sensors and put the plug in and off several times and use contact cleaning spray. The sensors are cheap on eBay.
The other one people mention is old fuel. I have suspected this in the past but never had an issue with it.
When was it last running properly ??

Other threads that may be of interest