A what is it? thread

Judders

Visit site
Regulars may well recognise Merit sat in the middle of the picture, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the design of the vessel off of her port bow? (For those who don't know, Merit is the Yellow hull in the centre of the picture.)

It must be about 26' - 29' in length and looks like an oversized Vivacity but I could find no marks. She had nice lines. The pile of the pontoon obscures the view of her coamings stepping out from the coachroof towards the gunwhales in a style reminiscent of smaller van der Stadts.

Picture105.jpg

Judders

Visit site
Thanks. Having checked Sabre 27s on the brokerage sites I am convinced you are both spot on.

Does anyone know anything about them? Has good lines and looks very solidly built, if a little beyond the first flush of youth.

robmcg

Visit site
My uncle has one. They are built like a brick privvy. Apparantly they sail quite well but need a decent gust to get them going. As you say they are past the first flush of youth but make an ideal first or second boat. Most of them were built by Marcon in the 1970's to a design by Alan Hill. The moulds were later sold to Brue Boatyard in Somerset where a few more were made. I think there is quite a variation in interior fit out as some were home completed. Many of the ones you see for sale are in the battleship grey type colour which I personally find a bit grim but the white or blue hulled ones that crop up now and again do look nice on the water. I believe they have an owners club and quite a good following. My uncle is very happy with his, it's out in Menorca, sailed there by a previous owner. I think it's one of those 1970's boats that remains underrated and therefore underpriced in the market and could make an interesting alternative to a Centaur or (in my case) Trapper 500. I believe most are fin keeled but there are some bilge keeled ones about. I do agree that I quite lke the look of them and seriously considered buying one before I took the plunge with a Trapper 500. Nice boat!!

Oen

Visit site
Now, Judders, you're treading the primrose path to a bigger boat!

Go carefully there!!!

Judders

Visit site
Well Tim it happens like this. I sit in my office on a Tuesday morning exchaning emails with some sailing friends and thoughts turn to the summer races. They envy my going racing and I lament that Lutine is not so competitive as we might wish.

So of course I find I need a bigger boat.

Then I go cruising over the weekend with SWMBO and I find that whilst I thought I could do without a propper loo, I might find regular cruising crew less keen without one, and oh for a propper galley...

So now I need a bigger, heavier, faster boat... but I don't want to pay any more for my mooring!

suse

Visit site
I owned a Sabre 27 for a while a few years ago, but for various reasons sadly had to sell her. I'd get one again, but I think I'm looking for river/canal boats these days.

S x

NPMR

Visit site
Definitely Sabre 27. We have one. Very strong onwers association with good technical help, even a 'manual'. Much bigger inside than a Centaur (we have slept 6 - all in a berth) and good big cockpit too. Always gets you home and pretty dry boat too.

Does need a wind for the best. Majority were bilge keel, I think but lots of fins around.

Windward performance average, but we have had 10.1kts out of her on a reach! Needs the BIG spinnaker for downwind, otherwise you'll need lots of patience.

But well liked.