A thread is (un)moved?

Thistle

Visit site
In my naive ignorance - and I have plenty - I thought that when a thread was "moved", the title would remain in the index but that only moderators, and not mere mortals like the rest of us, would be able to read or post on that thread. It appears that I am wrong ... as usual! :confused::confused:

VicS

Visit site
In my naive ignorance - and I have plenty - I thought that when a thread was "moved", the title would remain in the index but that only moderators, and not mere mortals like the rest of us, would be able to read or post on that thread. It appears that I am wrong ... as usual! :confused::confused:

I think if threads are simply relocated to another board it is customary to leave a link to them in their original location. That is certainly what I see on other forums. There may be a time limit on the link but presumably that is optional.

i dont know why but threads which are removed seem to be moved to somewhere that only mods have access. I dont know why they are not simply deleted ... I guess so that mods can read them over and over and enjoy them or perhaps they re moved to a sort of mods access only trophy cabinet where they can always gloat over their captured threads.

Thistle

Visit site
Ah yes, I see what you mean. "moved" is now being used literally; I'm sure that hereabouts it used to mean "removed". I'll catch up ... slowly!

Visit site

Moved doesn't always mean removed - I had a thread on the Liveaboard moved to a compendium thread for the sake of tidiness.

FullCircle

Visit site
There are several reasons for moving a thread, none of which involves being a law unto themselves.

Examples:
1. A post is made in Scuttlebutt asking about the purchase of a MoBo. It is moved to Mobo, and a permanent redirect is left in place (see S'Butt today)
2. A post can be merged with another, either by request, such as the recent Greek posts, or by older rules such as all MMGW threads are put together.
3. A post can be requested to be deleted by the OP. This would be deleted without a redirect.
4. A post can be moved to Suspended for Moderation. It may or may not reappear depending on the outcome. A redirect is left in place
5. Redirects can be permanent or a period set by the person moving thread. Personally I put them to permanent.

This is totally different to deleted threads.

I personally think the snide comments by VicS and Searush are unwarranted attacks on Mods. Down to me, you would both have a cooling off.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Yes, it is rather warm this evening.

You sound as if you are in need of giving someone a good thrashing, what's happened, your slave died? Or just a "sense of humour" -ectomy?

Can you explain why "They are a law unto themselves" is an attack on anyone please? Moderation is largely a matter of opinion, there is no appeal & there are no open courts - the guidelines are vague & may be interpreted in different ways by different people. That sounds pretty much like being a law unto yourselves to me, but I am happy to be corrected - or you can prove me right by banning me if you like.

You may not have noticed but my former posting rate has significantly reduced recently, that could of course be a benefit to all of us, but I am finding it harder to find interesting posts on here.

FullCircle

Visit site
You may not have noticed but my former posting rate has significantly reduced recently, that could of course be a benefit to all of us, but I am finding it harder to find interesting posts on here.

If you think you are funny, then you are. However, dont try to hide your disdain. It is plain and obvious, and has been repeated often. I am afraid your attitude is not welcome.

Thistle

Visit site
There are several reasons for moving a thread, none of which involves being a law unto themselves.

Examples:
1. A post is made in Scuttlebutt asking about the purchase of a MoBo. It is moved to Mobo, and a permanent redirect is left in place (see S'Butt today)
2. A post can be merged with another, either by request, such as the recent Greek posts, or by older rules such as all MMGW threads are put together.
3. A post can be requested to be deleted by the OP. This would be deleted without a redirect.
4. A post can be moved to Suspended for Moderation. It may or may not reappear depending on the outcome. A redirect is left in place
5. Redirects can be permanent or a period set by the person moving thread. Personally I put them to permanent.

A useful summary: thanks. Some, but not all, threads which have been subject to moderator action state what has happened and why (eg "Deleted; personal abuse"); others are less helpful (eg "Moved".) Can we aim to have a little explanation on every such thread (eg "Moved to ... ; more appropriate forum)?

FullCircle

Visit site
A useful summary: thanks. Some, but not all, threads which have been subject to moderator action state what has happened and why (eg "Deleted; personal abuse"); others are less helpful (eg "Moved".) Can we aim to have a little explanation on every such thread (eg "Moved to ... ; more appropriate forum)?

ractice. I usually do it. The only time it gets difficult is if we are mobile and doing it by phone whilst out and about. That makes it tricky to do all the trimmings. To be fair that is only done if it is abuse or prohibited by rules, not just a thread move or merge.
Sure, that can be standard p

Lakesailor

Visit site

Examples:
At whose request? I notice someone in the Greece thread I started asking for it to be merged with the very long-running "Greece Ups The Anti" thread which had become a circular argument about semantics.
I started the new thread to discuss immediate news about Greece.
Two different objectives. Two different threads.

When you merge a thread does it slot all the posts into each other according to posting time and date?
That would result in a whole mess of posts, not relating to one another in the way the poster envisaged when making their contribution.