A 'national flag ship' planned to replace Royal Yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranona

Visit site
I still don't understand how it could 'pay for itself' by securing official trade deals.
Maybe there was a time when it made sense to sail to a distant lands and offer up beads and trinkets in exchange for half a continent.
Isn't it easier these days to do these discussions by Zoom?
Do the Chinese have an official state yacht? Do they struggle to participate in international trade?

Chinese have learned from us. Buy up or finance much of the communications, transport and distribution infrastructure in developing countries to get access to growing markets and sources if critical raw materials. Exploit a huge subservient population at home moving from subsistence farming to the cities (plus the odd bit of slave labour when it suits) to produce low cost goods often using intellectual property appropriated from elsewhere which they then sell to the west, so killing much of local industry. Pretty much like the major European powers in the 19th and first half of the 20th century.

However unlike European powers they are not interested in exporting their culture, only gaining economic and political power.

Is the proposed ship a good idea in terms of expanding trade? Probably. Our future as a country does not depend to the same extent as in the past on manufactured goods, but on intellectual property so aligning our target countries to our culture, finance, legal system and intellectual base (universities, research etc) is the aim for the future. Having been involved half my life in pursuing that kind of objective I would say that a mobile showroom for the talent of this country has a place.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I respectfully suggest that your information on the state in which the Chinese population live may be somewhat out of date.

This is from 2014:

Why haven't China's cities learned from America's mistakes?

Many decades ago I met a planner from an international consultancy who had been engaged in advising China on city planning, and even then he was despairing about China's intent to develop along the lines that had been proven to fail in the West, and refusal to consider a different approach that made a virtue of the then huge reliance on cycling for city transport in China.

main_1500.jpeg

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Many decades ago I met a planner from an international consultancy who had been engaged in advising China on city planning, and even then he was despairing about China's intent to develop along the lines that had been proven to fail in the West, and refusal to consider a different approach that made a virtue of the then huge reliance on cycling for city transport in China.

View attachment 116440

Yes.

The picture shows the after effects of a cycle hire scheme, which didn’t go too well. As with all Chinese mistakes, it was on a vast scale.

There is something odd about the sheer scale of those McMansion estates, too. Twenty- five years ago I was living (on a quite excellent, western- designed, development) quite near one, so I showed interest. The houses had three or four bedrooms, and garages, but nothing resembling a kitchen as we would understand the term.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Get behind the project or piss off.

:eek:

What a miserable load of people there are in the UK. Get behind the project or piss off.

One could equally suggest you make some useful contribution to the discussion, or enter into the cheerful spirit of the banter, otherwise, er, take your misery elsewhere.

WoodyP

Visit site
:eek:

One could equally suggest you make some useful contribution to the discussion, or enter into the cheerful spirit of the banter, otherwise, er, take your misery elsewhere.
It isn't my misery. I just don't like all the negativity. My useful contribution is that I think it is a good idea. Also, I don't see much amusing banter.

Kelpie

Visit site
Perhaps we would not have problems with competition on the international stage if the uk population endured living in a similar state to one in which the Chinese are said to live. However, the British people have chosen a different path. This may have bought different problems, thus requiring different solutions, but somehow I think I prefer that choice.
So your question is not really relevant to our situation.

Alright, substitute Germany, Japan, S. Korea, etc etc.

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
Dutch royal vessel, though it's more an equivalent of the Gloriana that Her Maj didn't dare set foot on.
169-640x427.jpg
Ah yes, Gloriana; if the Carrie Celeste does get the go ahead hopefully they won’t make the same mistake of waiting until she’s half built before engaging a competent naval architect

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
It isn't my misery. I just don't like all the negativity. My useful contribution is that I think it is a good idea. Also, I don't see much amusing banter.
Given a former ambassador has said its a concept that’s four decades out of date (And the reason no one else has one is because it’s a bloody stupid idea) , maybe you could sell it’s benefits, I don’t much like blind optimism and nostalgia based delusion personally and the fact the numbers are out by at least a factor of two and possibly by as much as four doesn’t help either.

bedouin

Visit site
They just can't help themselves can they.

Now the CA forum has been shut down the usual suspects have brought their spite and hatred into what should be a boating forum.

It really is pathetic and will probably ruin this forum too,

Status
Not open for further replies.