A 'national flag ship' planned to replace Royal Yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister E

Visit site
Will Mr Johnson still be in power when it is finished?
Why not just rent a ship when needed? There are plenty of cruise ships doing nothing.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Corr one can clearly see that dumping the CA forum has prooved a very good idea already !

I am certain that if we still had use of the CA forum this good Boaty proposal would not have gotten off the ground, or Slipway at all , it would have 'sunk without trace' , as it is, the only matter left to discuss is, its name plus which yard it would best be built at ?

Bouba

Visit site
Corr one can clearly see that dumping the CA forum has prooved a very good idea already !

I am certain that if we still had use of the CA forum this good Boaty proposal would not have gotten off the ground, or Slipway at all , it would have 'sunk without trace' , as it is, the only matter left to discuss is, its name plus which yard it would best be built at ?
Samsung Shipping Yard
HMS Dickie Attenborough

Bajansailor

Visit site
Some years ago Colin Mudie submitted a proposal for a new tall ship royal yacht - he knew his stuff about tall ships, having designed Lord Nelson for the Jubilee Sailing Trust, and various others.
It was promoted in the Daily Mail - rather than promoting them now, here is an article in Classic Boat about the article -
A new Royal Yacht? Yes please, says the Daily Mail - Classic Boat Magazine

Many navies of the world have tall ships for sail training - couldn't the Royal Navy do the same?

Failing that, I would agree with Kukri that it would be far better to simply re-engine Britannia and put her back in service.

I think that the QE II originally had steam turbines? And these were replaced with diesel electric propulsion units in a German shipyard?

Brittania replacement proposal - Colin Mudie.jpg

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The thing about Royal, Presidential, State, etc. yachts is that antiquity confers more kudos than modernity, because the modern goes out of date.

Here is the Egyptian Presidential Yacht. She was the first vessel to use the new section of the Suez Canal in 2015 but she was also the first vessel to use the original Suez Canal. Mind you, she was a paddle steamer then...

408C15D8-A5B2-44E0-9F92-DD7BF10435CE.jpeg

El Mahrousa - Wikipedia

doug748

Visit site

Quite, I have reported the thread on the grounds of politics and boredom and suggested it be removed to the Lounge or somewhere.

Bouba

Visit site
Quite, I have reported the thread on the grounds of politics and boredom and suggested it be removed to the Lounge or somewhere.

Once we have decided if the new ship will be an old boat refurbished, a sailboat, antique or modern then we will immediately move it to the appropriate forum

Daydream believer

Visit site
This post is so staggering in its combination of arrogance and ignorance that it must have been written by a Brexitory.

Thanks for the insult== Are we going to let the forum sink in to the mire. I did not think that I had said anything disrespectful to you. I certainly did not mean to be either. But if that is how you feel then so be it

“Knockers”? If you are going to treat us with respect, when do you plan to start?
Patronising, much?
?????
Experience shows that mixing royalty and business doesn’t work too well. Ask Prince Andrew.
The queen would not get personally involved & you know that only too well. But it still adds to the "aura" - Helps things along.

No: we send warships to visit other nations to show that we have got them.
I am sure that the Naval members on the forum might advise on the post that there are some associate duties coupled with a bit more than willie waving when visiting foreign ports. I am sure they do some excellent work in projecting the Uk in ways other than just military
But we can ask them

See above. The Queen is not a salesperson.
She does an excellent job in projecting the UK. That goes a long way in selling the Uk

Finally you made the comment that I did not know what the ship was for - I said that I could not know half- A simple phrase to indicate that there would be many more uses that I might not be aware of. I do not think that the comment was unreasonable. You just wanted to use it to criticize. well go ahead- I will bide my time

Status
Not open for further replies.