A good quality stove/cooker?

Becky

Visit site
We are planning to spend a lot of time sailing and eventually cross the pond for a dose of Caribbean sunshine. This means that I will have to produce decent meals and bake bread etc. What cooker would the forumites suggest would be suitable? What are the ones to avoid, what do liveaboards use?
We have a Moody 37 with the standard cooker space occupied by a Plastimo 2000. I haven't tried this out yet as the boat isn't launched until next week, but I do not think that the oven is thermostat controlled.

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatless

Visit site
Been done!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=537853&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&part=>http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=537853&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&part=</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>my opinion is complete rubbish, probably.

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Essential and dont forget a grill, we were stuck with a bavaria cooker no grill and tried in vain to produce toast on rusty metal tent thing!
The oven did produce good bread though, no thermostat but a mini thermometer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
Hi - we use the Wallas deisel stove, for reasons rehearsed in other posts but relating to functionality, reliability, use of one fuel and releasing a deck locker for safety gear.

Not for price as they are aappallingly expensive. It is a great cooker to actually use and makes beautiful bread.

Sarah

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah & Pip

www.greatlittleboats.com
UK & Ireland distributors of Swifgig

snowleopard

Visit site
as previusly mentioned, a thermostat on the oven is essential but seldom seen on 'marine' stoves.

we installed a 'smev' oven and hob (no need for gimbals :eek:)

the oven with integral grill is excellent, especially as it's mounted high enough to see into without stooping, the hob however is sometimes reluctant to light and can go out on the simmer setting.

two rings is adequate, three may be used once in a blue moon, four is totally over the top!

<hr width=100% size=1>

pragmatist

Visit site
Don't rule out your cooker for not having a thermostatic control - I actually preferred our last cooker which didn't. With a bit of practice it becomes second nature - but then I cook on a Rayburn at home which, although theoretically thermostatically controlled, has a bit of a mind of it's own.

Agree about the grill - wouldn't be without it but sadly they're always the bit which deteriorates first.

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK