A Classic Boat is,,,,,,,,

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
In CB 161 (just read) Robert Veale calls for a Classic Boat Association to be formed. An excellent idea, but please tell him to hurry up!
You will know that the Old Gaffers Association are planning a somewhat controversial move to include "Classic", i.e. non gaff, boats in their (our) events and set up a register of classic Bermudan boats..
If Mr Veale can get his idea up and running it will save us in the OGA from having to bother, and I wish him well. As the owner of a Vertue I might even join!
However, let him be warned, it will be his association with the responsibility of deciding what a classic is, or ,since we all recognise a Classic when we see one, what it isn't. Who will tell the owner of an otherwise decent boat that the plywood deck house he nailed on last year detracts just a little from the boats classic aspirations? Who will tell the owner of a thoughrally nice wooden boat that HIS boat is just a month or two too young? Or that a good old genuinely classic design newly minted by a dedicated owner leans a little to far in the direction of plasticity? Or that, forgive the cliché, there is nothing naffer than a plastic --------? Or, "Sorry, nice boat, but not nice enough"?
Opportunities for upsetting folk abound, rather him than us.
Don't forget though, good Bermudan boats can join us on the east coast in any of our events, even the sacred East Coast Race, and anyone can join the OGA even if they own a boat with triangular sails.
Maybe we can run joint events, macaroni versus gaff races, cruises who knows what?
More power to your elbow Mr Veale.

Ian Wright, Patience, Vertue 203

Vertue 203, Patience

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Grade 2 Listed

Peter Mather, honorary life member of the Harrison Butler Association, once described me thus.

Pointyheads can go and plat somewhere else but not in the Old GAFFER's Association.

Mirelle, OGA 1200 (a number bestowed by John Scarlett - now that show's my age, does'nt it!)