90's Windy vs Cranchi build quality

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Anybody have any experience of the differing built quality between these two manufacturers of their 7.5-9m boats of this era, things to look for, design pros/cons etc?

E.g.:
This; https://www.boat24.com/fr/bateauxamoteur/cranchi/cranchi-clipper-760-58fi/detail/577032/
vs.
This; https://www.boat24.com/fr/bateauxamoteur/windy/windy-7800/detail/605732/

Thanks in advance
I don’t have any data but the perception in the Med is that a Windy is in a totally different league (and in consequence price bracket) to the Cranchi.

stelican

Visit site
The Cranchi 760 is a great drivers boat and with the 205 petrols is capable of 47 knots.
You have to walk over the full width sunbed and then rear seat if entering from astern. The windscreen is made from plexiglass so may have signs of wear and tear.
The Hull was designed by Don Aronows studio
They are over 30yrs old now so engines are drives may have be replaced hopefully.
I used to work for UK dealer.

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Windy Any day but watch for osmosis on both
Honestly I never saw a Cranchi with osmosis, and a berth away a 1992 Clipper Cruiser (same hull as 760) was in the water for five years, and did not have a blister when sold some years ago.

I have seen Windy blister though, and I know that some of the first hulls built with resin infusion (end of noughties decade) had delamination issues. So we are speaking of different age here.

Returning to the point, for hull design sea keeping its close (with a slight edge to the Windy for some features flared bow/hull etc), but I think as material thickness goes the Windy is better.
She is a stronger boat to the Cranchi.

Not that the Cranchi will break is that they are build to be millimetric precise.

Reactions: EME

jbk

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback folks. Noted;

- keep an eye out for Osmosis, on the older Windy's in particular.
- Seaworthy hull design, Windy maybe marginally superior.
- Windy likely more of a solid boat (thicker layup?)

I wonder how much of the anecdotal 'superior build' reputation that Windy holds is actually true and genuinely deserved, vs how much of it has become brand mythology. I don't know the answer to this, and without surveying and dismantling 10's and 10's of boats from each yard from various eras it'd not be possible to objectively answer this, i do just wonder sometimes though. Anyhow, I digress.

stelican

Visit site
I'm sure either brand will do the job for you..
As you are no doubt aware the 2 boats in the thread seem to have the advantage of being used on fresh water lake and maybe also stored indoors over winter.
Perhaps the history is available.
Google translate not working for me!

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback folks. Noted;

- keep an eye out for Osmosis, on the older Windy's in particular.
- Seaworthy hull design, Windy maybe marginally superior.
- Windy likely more of a solid boat (thicker layup?)

I wonder how much of the anecdotal 'superior build' reputation that Windy holds is actually true and genuinely deserved, vs how much of it has become brand mythology. I don't know the answer to this, and without surveying and dismantling 10's and 10's of boats from each yard from various eras it'd not be possible to objectively answer this, i do just wonder sometimes though. Anyhow, I digress.
Does it really matter when you are buying 30 old boats like these? They are what they are and you assess them against your expectations for the price asked. Far more important to establish the current condition, particularly engines and running gear a these are the things that cost money, not the basic fabric of the boat. Different if you are buying new when maybe you are looking for "better" quality either in anticipation of better service long term or more subjective reasons.

jbk

Visit site
Perhaps not @Tranona, and definitely will assess each boat individually, and agree that a 30yr old boat's condition will be as much informed by how it's been kept over those years as by the original manufacturing quality. But simply asking the question to try to get some idea of general builder quality differences that's all.