90/180 days

billskip

Visit site
The German car industry's need for our money didn't seem to exert the influence that was expected of it a few years ago.

Perhaps hoteliers and restaurateurs will have more luck.
I think there is a difference between being lax with a law/rule/regulation and an overall change. You know full well to answer your post is suicide ?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
What do you think is the strongest influence, their implement of their rules or their need for our money?
Some EU is very dependent on tourist money,they ain't gonna be very popular if they come down heavy on your average joe

There's very little impact on tourist income, they only spend a short time there with very few likely to exceed 90 days. Liveaboard boating community are a tiny minority and contribute little to economy so don't justify special treatment.

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
What do you think is the strongest influence, their implement of their rules or their need for our money?
Some EU is very dependent on tourist money,they ain't gonna be very popular if they come down heavy on your average joe
Tourist money won't be affected by 90/180 as most tourists stay 2 to 3 weeks, they don't hang about for 3 months.

syvictoria

Visit site
'Did not have to worry about how long ' well it is clear that it is necessary to report ones presence after 90 days and always has been so this wording is not quite correct.

Yes, there used (for Brits) to be an often ignored requirement to report your presence after a continuous 90 days in any one state. However, as an EU citizen, reporting your presence didn't generally affect your right to stay. It was more a formality than a cause to need to leave.

grumpygit

Visit site

Unfortunately anyone wanting to stay longer than the 90 days will have to take the risks, I and others don't see any financial loss that would be noticed as full time UK liveaboards post 90 days are so few in the big scheme of tourism.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
France is already noting the drop in revenues from British motorists.
They used to be the biggest group of foreigners getting caught by radars. We have dropped down to 10th place.

https://photo.capital.fr/radars-le-...2018-38365#10-royaume-uni-69-399-pv-3-8-1o1un

The fines were enforceable in the UK, but I am not sure if that is still the case. That might be a B***** win!

greeny

Visit site
Unfortunately anyone wanting to stay longer than the 90 days will have to take the risks, I and others don't see any financial loss that would be noticed as full time UK liveaboards post 90 days are so few in the big scheme of tourism.
Agree about the numbers of liveaboards being few, but you also have to add the numbers of expats who live on land, renting accommodation for extended periods but not wanting to go the residence route because of tax and health issues etc.
In certain areas these numbers are/were not inconsiderable. They all come into the equation when you talk about lost revenue due to the 90 day rule.

Poignard

Visit site

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Agree about the numbers of liveaboards being few, but you also have to add the numbers of expats who live on land, renting accommodation for extended periods but not wanting to go the residence route because of tax and health issues etc.
In certain areas these numbers are not inconsiderable. They all come into the equation when you talk about lost revenue due to the 90 day rule.

I never understand why people raise the issue of taxation because even in the troubled times France and the UK operate a duel taxation agreement even if you live in France you can still opt to be taxed in the country of your choice.

greeny

Visit site
Dual taxation agreement is useful in some circumstances but not necessarily in Portugal. They operate dual taxation their way. Even if you qualify for the dual taxation arrangement, you still have to report world wide income by doing tax returns. Whether they tax you or not is then up to them accepting that you qualify. I know several people who have had to pay up.
Anyway this is a thread about 90 in 180 and I only used it as an illustration as to why someone may not want to get residency. I didn't want to drift onto taxation matters.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I never understand why people raise the issue of taxation because even in the troubled times France and the UK operate a duel taxation agreement even if you live in France you can still opt to be taxed in the country of your choice.
As I understand it your income is tax in the country its earn ,
Tell me otherwise and I be moving my taxation else where like a shot.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
On the matter how smaller the British liveaboard are and how little they contribute
TURKEY marinas where given large discount as there where a great deal of empty marinas two years ago and have been for some years.
2021 prices when through the roof and Now many are already fully booked for next year , these space have been taken up by British liveaboard.

The marina we in had a large group of british liveaboard year after year,
Went we return in a few weeks we be the only British liveabord boat there,

So if anyone suggests that livaboads makes much of a contribution to the whole of France,Greece,Spain,Italy I doubt it.
But to the local community and shops I would say quite a lot.

I'm in no doubt the local shops are feeling the different

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The marina we in had a large group of british liveaboard year after year,
Went we return in a few weeks we be the only British liveabord boat there,
So if anyone suggests that livaboads makes much of a contribution to the whole of France,Greece,Spain,Italy I doubt it.
But to the local community and shops I would say quite a lot.
I'm in no doubt the local shops are feeling the different

Yes, obviously some local communities will feel the pinch but hard to tell so far with Covid restricted travel. Unfortunately, with 713 million international visitors to Europe in 2018, long stay Brits count for little in the grand scheme but a few Med countries may (I hope) make life easier with visa schemes, once the dust settles.

grumpygit

Visit site
Dual taxation agreement is useful in some circumstances but not necessarily in Portugal. They operate dual taxation their way. Even if you qualify for the dual taxation arrangement, you still have to report world wide income by doing tax returns. Whether they tax you or not is then up to them accepting that you qualify. I know several people who have had to pay up.
Anyway this is a thread about 90 in 180 and I only used it as an illustration as to why someone may not want to get residency. I didn't want to drift onto taxation matters.

Taxation isn't a problem at all here in Greece as there is a dual agreement with the UK as with a lot of EU states. I pay no Greek tax and it costs me 50 euro for my Greek account to do the tax return, so this should not have been a hindrance to get residency.
I am really amazed how little self protection some have given themselves thus causing them big problems now. This isn't a snap issue, Brexit was achieved in 2016 so that's 5+ years to sort something.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

As I said countries have dual taxation treaties meaning people can choose which country to pay their tax in for example I live in France am a French / UK citizen hold both passports have taxable incomes in the UK but pay my taxes in France.

greeny

Visit site
Ok, in the interest of shutting this one down on tax, This is a guide to the agreement. Read it if you're interested. Article 4 is of particular interest. It all depends on your personal circumstance.
Can we get back to 90 in 180?

Attachments

• uk-portugal-dta_-_in_force.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 5

AndersG

Visit site
If you live in one country and earn income in another country you should pay tax wherever the tax treaty between those countries say you should pay tax. You can't choose which country to pay tax in.

grumpygit

Visit site
If you live in one country and earn income in another country you should pay tax wherever the tax treaty between those countries say you should pay tax. You can't choose which country to pay tax in.

That is true, if after residing in one EU country for more than 183 days but there are different treaties for different residency cards. Here in Greece there is a 10 and 5 year card which have different criteria's.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Don't under estimate the total amount from apparantly small individual inputs. Some years ago I wintered in Cyprus. The tourist board conducted a survey of spin-off tourists money from the liveabourd yachts in the marina. They were surprised at how many relatives anf friends of the liveaboards visited them in both summer and winter to spend weeks in hotels etc. This also spun off friends of friends.

Did you know that 68 million TONS of pollutants are injected into the atmosphere by the USA alone in 2020. Did you realise that smoke weighed so much.

Back to tourist dollars. It amazed me that the UK earned more than a hundred quid a year (apparantly it is in the millions) when it seemed to me that tourists visited Britain just to have a baby on the NHS. Ready to go babies, weather proofed and all. (That last sentance is a joke, we all know that occasional good weather happens yet no rebate is offered ),

Other threads that may be of interest