90/180 days

ean_p

Visit site
Are we talking about residency or a long stay visa❓Not the same thing.
think the Father may be right here in that the visa is effectively a 90 day extension only valid in the country of issue....
And if memory serves then the 'excess' period has to be within the issuing country and must be taken last and prior to departure from the issuing country. So say France issued a six month visa then of the 180 days the first 90 can be anywhere in the Zone but from the 91st that must be in France as must the remainder, and you must leave the Zone from France too at the end of the visa. Again if memory serves!

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
ean Although you hitch your submission to my post, it still remains a fact that long stay visas and residency are not the same thing!

Rather than relying on your memory, possibly you could provide a link that confirms your contention?

Do you have any skin in this discussion, which is extremely important to some or is yours just esoteric interest???

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
ean Although you hitch your submission to my post, it still remains a fact that long stay visas and residency are not the same thing!

Rather than relying on your memory, possibly you could provide a link that confirms your contention?

Do you have any skin in this discussion, which is extremely important to some or is yours just esoteric interest???

For those with residence the answer is here: Travel documents for non-EU nationals – Your Europe

"
If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

• valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years,
and possibly a visa. You should apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. If your visa is from a Schengen area country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries.

Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the local consular services of the EU country in question.

There are a number of countries whose nationals do not need a visa to visit the EU for three months or less. The list of countries whose nationals require visas to travel to Ireland differs slightly from other EU countries."

ean_p

Visit site

Err.......I didn't 'hitch' my post, I was answering your question by the simple expedient of underlining and emboldening the word visa. I'm not really sure why you didn't / couldn't see that originally. I'm not really sure what having 'skin' in the discussion requires or entails either, nor for that matter why it should matter either! But hey ho!

greeny

Visit site
And yet more gobbledegook from the authorities. Just what exactly does this mean?
It states that as holder of a residency in one schengen country you are allowed to travel to other schengen countries. It says it is the equivalent of a visa for those countries. So as long as you have residency, you have a visa. So would you be subjected to the 90 day rule in those other countries or not.
I know what I think is the case but these sort of statements do nothing to help anyone and just create more confusion.
This is an important point for clarification because if true, then a "cruiser" can have residency in any one schengen state and then travel freely without limit under "the visa" to all the others. Not what we've been led to believe.

" If your visa is from a Schengen area country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa."

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
And yet more gobbledegook from the authorities. Just what exactly does this mean?
It states that as holder of a residency in one schengen country you are allowed to travel to other schengen countries. It says it is the equivalent of a visa for those countries. So as long as you have residency, you have a visa. So would you be subjected to the 90 day rule in those other countries or not.
I know what I think is the case but these sort of statements do nothing to help anyone and just create more confusion.
This is an important point for clarification because if true, then a "cruiser" can have residency in any one schengen state and then travel freely without limit under "the visa" to all the others. Not what we've been led to believe.

" If your visa is from a Schengen area country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa."

I take your point, in terms of visa I think they are referring to a Schengen visa but it is not clear nor is the sense of only being limited to 90 days in other countries.
What is clear is that those with a residence permit are automatically allowed entry into Schengen countries but for how long, is the question I suspect it will be for 90 days. I have just found this "
Can I travel to Spain with EU residence permit?
"Foreigners holding a valid residence permit or a long-term visa issued by another Schengen State may travel through the territory of the other Schengen States for a maximum of 90 days within any 180-day period, provided that they are in possession of a valid passport or travel document, that they justify the purpose ..."
The question for long term (6 month) visas is different but perhaps not my view in light of the above is that it would be the same limited to 90 days in the Schengen countries outside of the visa issuing country.

billskip

Visit site
I take your point, in terms of visa I think they are referring to a Schengen visa but it is not clear nor is the sense of only being limited to 90 days in other countries.
What is clear is that those with a residence permit are automatically allowed entry into Schengen countries but for how long, is the question I suspect it will be for 90 days. I have just found this "
"Foreigners holding a valid residence permit or a long-term visa issued by another Schengen State may travel through the territory of the other Schengen States for a maximum of 90 days within any 180-day period, provided that they are in possession of a valid passport or travel document, that they justify the purpose ..."
The question for long term (6 month) visas is different but perhaps not my view in light of the above is that it would be the same limited to 90 days in the Schengen countries outside of the visa issuing country.
I think nobody is allowed a stay in another country, ie. Dutch into France or Spanish into Portugal etc, legally for more than 90 days without notificationto the gov, its just that they have no way of checking.

nortada

Visit site
Err.......I didn't 'hitch' my post, I was answering your question by the simple expedient of underlining and emboldening the word visa. I'm not really sure why you didn't / couldn't see that originally. I'm not really sure what having 'skin' in the discussion requires or entails either, nor for that matter why it should matter either! But hey ho!
Didn’t ask a question. Just made a statement. visas and residency are not the same thing.

My bit about your interest. Threads in Liveaboard Link can often be divided into 2 groups. Those who have a significant interest in an issue and try to provide validated answers and those who have no interest but just want a discussion on possibilities. Unfortunately these discussions can confuse and divert the thread off course.???

Fr J Hackett, many thanks for your definitive answer #584 - informative and useful, from somebody who has a lot of skin in this debate.?

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

There's a lot of confusion in this thread with people mixing up residence and visas which are totally different situations. As you say above, anyone with residence in one country is still limited to 90/180* elsewhere UNLESS in the company of a spouse or legal partner who is an EU citizen, in which case they have unlimited travel but both still come under the rule of having to register their presence if in one country for more than 3 months.

*Time in transit to/from country of residence doesn't count towards 90 days but have no idea if this would have a reasonable limit if someone's under investigation for overstaying.

billskip

Visit site
Didn’t ask a question. Just made a statement. visas and residency are not the same thing.

My bit about your interest. Threads in Liveaboard Link can often be divided into 2 groups. Those who have a significant interest in an issue and those trying to provide validated answers and those who have no interest but just want a discussion on possibilities. Unfortunately these discussions can confuse and divert the thread off course.???
Yes they can?

ean_p

Visit site

My bit about your interest. Threads in Liveaboard Link can often be divided into 2 groups. Those who have a significant interest in an issue and those trying to provide validated answers and those who have no interest but just want a discussion on possibilities. Unfortunately these discussions can confuse and divert the thread off course.???
Oh! Sorry, must be my poor upbringing but I was always led to believe that that odd shape you posted just to the right of the word 'visa' served to end the sentence and make a question of it.....but hey ho, going forward, your identifying 3 groups that commonly take part in liveaboard threads and your ( now our) discussion of them certainly has diverted the thread........but again.....hey ho!

nortada

Visit site
Oh! Sorry, must be my poor upbringing but I was always led to believe that that odd shape you posted just to the right of the word 'visa' served to end the sentence and make a question of it.....but hey ho, going forward, your identifying 3 groups that commonly take part in liveaboard threads and your ( now our) discussion of them certainly has diverted the thread........but again.....hey ho!
Only you can comment on your up bringing.?

Listen carefully, I will say this only once. If you look back at my #571, I questioned were we discussing residency or long term visas❓I then asserted - they are not the same thing. Your #582 was just a series of unsubstantiated thoughts. Hence my comments on ‘skin’.

Last edited:

ean_p

Visit site
Only you can comment on your up bringing.?

Listen carefully, I will say this only once. If you look back at my #571, I questioned were we discussing residency or long term visas❓I then asserted - they are not the same thing. Your #582 was just a series of unsubstantiated thoughts. Hence my comments on ‘skin’.

Calm down Dear, you need to learn to relax! It's only a fun web site forum!
Though I was pleased to read (unable to hear ) your acceptance of having asked a question as to what was the subject of the discussion. I was though then disappointed by your assertion as it seems your thoughts in this context on this particular issue were largely unsubstantiated as I believe the following seems to show! I read that as a LTV and RP are in the context of 90/180 treated the same ?
Extract from 'FAQ's' issued by https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/default/files/frequently_asked_questions_en.pdf
15. I have a valid long stay visa/residence permit for a country that is
part of the Schengen area. Do I need another visa to travel to other
Schengen states?
No. A long stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen State allows you to
travel or stay in other Schengen States, while respecting the maximum duration of a
“short stay” (a stay of "90 days in any 180 day period").

Hey ho........as to 'skin', well if memory serves again then I first took up foreign residence 42years ago. I've been largely dual resident of several countries for most of the past 16 years and had you asked eight weeks ago I could have laid claim to being resident in three countries simultaneously! Alas only two at this point in time but hey ho with Fino on draught here it's not all bad!

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If I can just go back to the statement some have made here regarding there no excuse for people not knowing the rules and my posting,
that not necessarily the case and many don't or at the very less confused.

Posting #588 that bill skip posted is a good example,
To this day there many who would argue that free movement allowed you to stay in any EU country as an European without need to register after 3months.
And that's just one example from many .

dunedin

Visit site
If I can just go back to the statement some have made here regarding there no excuse for people not knowing the rules and my posting,
that not necessarily the case and many don't or at the very less confused.

Posting #588 that bill skip posted is a good example,
To this day there many who would argue that free movement allowed you to stay in any EU country as an European without need to register after 3months.
And that's just one example from many .
And similarly a lot of people who know the rules/laws and choosing to break them. The lady complaining about the law being applied will probably not be the only one.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
And similarly a lot of people who know the rules/laws and choosing to break them. The lady complaining about the law being applied will probably not be the only one.
Don't you think that's entirely up to them the same way some don't want to vaccinated .

That in no way say this particular lady knows the rules .
As I keep on saying there are many many who are totally unaware what the rules are ,
Just read posting here after two years people still getting it wrong , just the other day someone tried to correct someone who again got it wrong himself and still he wouldn't have it.

The only reason many know the rules here or should I say know parts of the rules is because it's constantly posting about the rules.

How anyone can accused anyone of any wrong doing by a report on the net is beyond me ,
tho I'm not suprise as it seen as soon as there any reported boat accident Blane is quick shared.

Other threads that may be of interest