32FT Hillyard Motorboat "Foxy Lady"

adrianmagnano

Visit site
32FT Hillyard Motorboat \"Foxy Lady\"

Hi guys and girls

I purchased my dream boat on ebay on friday!!!

Would any one have any comments or suggestions for me before I embark on a full restoration?

Any links to advise sites would be welcomed as would any info on this boat as she has her original name " Foxy Lady"

She was sold as a 32ft 6 berth but it would seem that she was a two berth originally. She has also had an aft cabin added.

I am thinking of filing my progress on line will there be an interest?

Thanks in advance

ADRIAN MAGNANO

Gordonmc

Visit site
Re: 32FT Hillyard Motorboat \"Foxy Lady\"

Congratulations!

I saw the boat on eBay, but as I already have a Hillyard 8-tonner, it was of only passing interest. The yard is still producing boats at Littlehampton and might give more information if you can find out her job number. Probably carved on a beam in the fore-part somewhere.
There is also a Hillyard Owners Club website. A google should unearth it.
Your part of Scotland is abviously not mine as its not sunny today. Where are you and more to the point, where is the boat?
All the best with the restoration and, yes, I think there will be interest in the project.

adrianmagnano

Visit site
Re: 32FT Hillyard Motorboat \"Foxy Lady\"

This is the second post in the crazy idea of restoring a sad old foxy lady.

I will be making regular post and will welcome any and every imput.
The yard wich will not be named qouted £45,000.00 plus £10,000.00 for a new engine !!!!!!

FOXYLADY- CONDITION REPORT
INSIDE Foc’sle- Not accessible above water line height due to fitted panelling. Forefoot apron decayed and needs replacing. Planking and ribs in this area (below w/l height) appears reasonably sound where accessible. Deck head appears sound except to starboard edge where fungal growth is visible. Beams and carlines appear in good order.
SALOON– Top 18” not accessible due to panelling.
Portside- Forward rotten strakes are visible. Most ribs appear sound where they have been doubled up in the past. 2 need doublers.
Starboard- approx 12 ribs require doubling or renewing. Deck head mainly sound sever rot in aft end (3ft).
Beams and carlings appear in good order.
Bilge area not accessible due to water.
Engine beds and bearers appear sound.

COCKPIT AREA- Ribs port side seem ok. Ribs starboard side one needs replacing/doubling.
Bilge area appears mainly sound, although a few inches of water prevent proper investigation.
Side decks- tongue and grove pine appears reasonably sound.
Pitch pine tongue /groove bulkheads to saloon and aft cabin are mainly sound though areas may need replacing due to holes and cracks.
Areas of rot found in much of wheelhouse framework.

AFTCABIN- Beam shelf appears sound.
Ribs 2nd and 3rd from stern need replacing port and starboard.
Aft apron appears sound.
Aft deck and side deck beams appear serviceable.
Carlines show signs of softening port and starboard.
Some rot found in aft cabin framework.
Bilge area appears mainly sound though some areas are hidden by pitch.
Sole boards and bearers are suspect throughout the vessel.

OUTSIDE- Main deck( foredeck) is of ¾ “ ply and apart from the aft 3ft,which is rotten, appears mainly sound although requires cleaning back to bare wood and epoxy glass sheathing.
Skylight appears sound.
Aft deck and side decks are in poor condition and require renewal.
Main deck is uneven and undulating.
Capping/ toe rail need replacing.

HULL-Steam appears reasonably sound.
Forefoot-various area of decay-needs renewal.
Some short planks in forefoot area-require cutting back for longer planks to be scarfed in (4 from keel port side)
Port- 4 planks from keel port side are sprung.
Keel and false keel appear reasonably sound although new keelboats will undoubtedly be required. (Ballast keel also).
Bilge keel port side appears ok Starboard side is distorted along with hull shape in this area.
Planks midway on port side (aft of midway) 8,9, and 10 from keel have bulging butt ends.
12,14,15, and 16 from keel in this area-butts are too close together (16= sheer strake)
17,18, and 19 are raised foredeck planks- much rot throughout these planks port side.
Hood ends aft port and starboard are springing in places.
Curved (outer) stern post mainly sound
Upright stern post (shaft thru) badly split and misshapen due to drying out.
Deadwood sound but opened up with drying out.
Some deterioration on and around metal strapping in this area.
STARBOARD- Starboard quarter movement on 6,7, and 8 and some softness apparent.
9 and 10 badly scuffed and require short planks scarfing in.
2,3,4, and 5 aft of bilge keel soft and needs replacing with correct spacing. (Bilge keel requires removal for planking work).
Starboard topsides 13,14,15and 16 have had recent poor replacement.
These require renewal for app 16” staggering correctly.
17,18 and 19 (raised foredeck planks) much rot.
Starboard bilge forward of bilge keel 1,2,3 and 4 rotten areas showing.
Rubbing strakes port and starboard are rotten and require replacing.

This report was carried out on Wednesday 18th May 2005 in good weather conditions.
Much of the interior was inaccessible due to fixed panelling etc.

To bring vessel up to good seaworthy condition, major work is required- basically a full rebuild.
She is considerably distorted -8ft from forward perpendicular; the forward end of vessel has dropped about 6”.
To bring her back to shape, much of the outer skin (planking) would need to be removed, jack her up in certain areas and possibly make a jig before re-planking.

This is not a survey. This is a shipwright’s at the current dry births opinion on the current state of the vessel.